2019 Recruiting: Marial Mading

Reaction Score
24/7 has him as a URI favorite. 6’11 PF/C from Maryland

Attachments

• 55833BAF-EDAA-460F-AD2C-FF9275155F08.jpeg
    55833BAF-EDAA-460F-AD2C-FF9275155F08.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 171
Reaction Score
3 star PF ranked ~300. He doesn't have any major offers at this point and took an official to URI earlier this week. Likely a major backup but Hurley has likely had eyes on him for a while.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
We haven’t signed a player ranked this low in a long time. Doubt he’s a Plan B or even Plan C but a extreme back up plan

Reaction Score
Interesting that the staff brought him on campus, but he's not popping up outta nowhere. Hurley and co One of the assistants (presumably Moore) watched him during July:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really tough to tell how good he is. Plays against horrible competition.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Potential walk on? Diamond in the rough? I know nothing.

I feel like he'd much prefer to go on scholarship to a school like Rhode Island or Tulane (both offered over the summer) than walk on here.

Reaction Score
What both Uconn and URI see in him is potential, 6-11 and has guard skills. Not an immediate contributor but a long term contributor after being in the program for a year or two. Def a red shirt potential player first year out.

Reaction Score

Interesting prospect with his shot. 6’11” guy that can see the court well. Not enough meat on the bones and needs to work a lot under the rim...

Reaction Score
I feel like he'd much prefer to go on scholarship to a school like Rhode Island or Tulane (both offered over the summer) than walk on here.

Probably right. Just doesnt look like a uconn caliber player currently, so trying to think outside the box. Tom is a great evaluator of talent though, I trust the guy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Probably right. Just doesnt look like a uconn caliber player currently, so trying to think outside the box. Tom is a great evaluator of talent though, I trust the guy.

Can't take all Precious level players. You never know what a four year guy can do as a Jr/Sr. Not saying I want him, but there are some measurables there to work with.

Reaction Score
He's def not a walk on candidate but i expect him to be a plan D if other things don't work out. Maybe a late riser who has skills the staff likes and can mold to be a real player when he's a junior/ senior

Reaction Score
I see potential after a redshirt year and a few end of bench years.. Jr ans Sr year could be very useful

Reaction Score
3 star PF ranked ~300. He doesn't have any major offers at this point and took an official to URI earlier this week. Likely a major backup but Hurley has likely had eyes on him for a while.

"Trusssssssst in me." - Coach Hurley in his best Ka (from Jungle Book) voice

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He's def not a walk on candidate but i expect him to be a plan D if other things don't work out. Maybe a late riser who has skills the staff likes and can mold to be a real player when he's a junior/ senior

Seems like the type of player UConn gets on before he blows up in the rankings.

All time on the road is limited for the staff. I highly doubt Moore is flying around to see a potential walk-on.

Reaction Score
Could be another Marcus Camby in the making. Or Ajou Ajou Deng? Let's get Billy Packer in for a consult.

Actually, he'd probably be our best three point shooter this year based on how quickly and smoothly he gets his shot off...........from way behind the arc.

And, how do you not give him lots of credit for his handling ability, especially for his size? Put him on ice with Sal for a year and watch out.

Reaction Score
From NERR's July Stock Risers:

-----

Marial Mading, Springfield Commonwealth, L&L Running Rebels – Mading was flying under the radar for most of the spring. He had arrived at SCA at mid-year, didn’t seem ready to turn potential into production during some pre-season appearances with NE6, and then forced to find a new team because of bordering state rules. By the time he re-emerged his body was starting to come on and he was showing increasing flashes of stardom with his size and playmaking ability to attract schools from the A10 and AAC.

-----

I've never actually seen this kid play, but given how much Hurley's kids improved at URI and given the kid's obvious abilities + size, I wouldn't be at all disappointed if we grabbed him with this class. I don't care what his ranking is right now.

Reaction Score

Hard to gather much from a highlight tape but he does seem to have an intriguing skillset. He also doesn't look to be 6'11 and the competition looks horrible so who knows. With our coaching staff and where we want to be I would rather not take any fliers on projects.

Reaction Score
Could be another Marcus Camby in the making. Or Ajou Ajou Deng? Let's get Billy Packer in for a consult.
the elbow extended
Actually, he'd probably be our best three point shooter tm his year based on how quickly and smoothly he gets his shot off......from way behind the arc.

And, how do you not give him lots of credit for his handling ability, especially for his size? Put him on ice with Sal for a year and watch out.
i was there in Tampa/St Pete. Deng killed everyone in a 1 v 1 drill from the elbow extended.

Reaction Score
i was there in Tampa/St Pete. Deng killed everyone in a 1 v 1 drill from the elbow extended.

Packer never gave UConn credit for anything but that night he practically wet his pants talking about "what UConn has coming next year".

This Mading kid handles the ball like a guard, makes long threes effortlessly, makes runners in the lane, throws some great passes and seems worth pursuing, but what do I know? I thought Deng and Majok looked good on film too, but at least this guy is doing it against other players (no matter their quality it's better than chairs).

Sign him, give him to Sal for a year and watch out. He'll make Precious look like cubic zirconium.

Reaction Score
Packer never gave UConn credit for anything but that night he practically wet his pants talking about "what UConn has coming next year".

This Mading kid handles the ball like a guard, makes long threes effortlessly, makes runners in the lane, throws some great passes and seems worth pursuing, but what do I know? I thought Deng and Majok looked good on film too, but at least this guy is doing it against other players (no matter their quality it's better than chairs).

Sign him, give him to Sal for a year and watch out. He'll make Precious look like cubic zirconium.
Bingo, from limited film he looks a lot like a less heralded Deng and Majok. Skinny, long-limmed 6'10 guys with loose handles and decent jump shots take a long time and or never pan out. This kid looks like a reach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom