2019 NIT Bracketology | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2019 NIT Bracketology

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hopefully Gilbert comes back next week, and we take care of business @ SMU, Wichita, and ECU. Then have to at least win one of these home games vs. Cincy, USF, Temple. Very doable, espcially with the energy and toughness we've been playing with. If we do this, we'd finish 17-15, and NIT committee would def throw us in.

Unfortunately, I think we'll need to go 5-1 over the last six, if not run the table. 5-1 gets us to 18-13, which I think will be the minimum requirement, assuming we finish at 19-14 in the tourney.

As it is right now, while the site linked in the OP had us in, this site does not - and that was before last night's loss. Note that their projection doesn't include some number of teams from one-bids who will lose their championship game, but get autobids into NIT on virtual of regular season crown. So we'd likely have to climb over 4-6 at-large teams currently penciled in.

I'd like to hope a 4-2 finish is enough, but I believe in that case, we'd pretty much have to make it to the AAC tourney final game.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think we'll need to go 5-1 over the last six, if not run the table. 5-1 gets us to 18-13, which I think will be the minimum requirement, assuming we finish at 19-14 in the tourney.

As it is right now, while the site linked in the OP had us in, this site does not - and that was before last night's loss. Note that their projection doesn't include some number of teams from one-bids who will lose their championship game, but get autobids into NIT on virtual of regular season crown. So we'd likely have to climb over 4-6 at-large teams currently penciled in.

I'd like to hope a 4-2 finish is enough, but I believe in that case, we'd pretty much have to make it to the AAC tourney final game.

Honestly, I think NIT is more about viewership more than anything else as it clearly doesn't have the allure it once had. If we are above .500, we will be in in some fashion because it will help the NIT draw eyeballs. I'm not certain I'm right, but I hope so lol I think somebody mentioned somehwere that Temple got in last year at 17-15.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think NIT is more about viewership more than anything else as it clearly doesn't have the allure it once had. If we are above .500, we will be in in some fashion because it will help the NIT draw eyeballs. I'm not certain I'm right, but I hope so lol I think somebody mentioned somehwere that Temple got in last year at 17-15.
I was just about to ask this, so the rule is over .500 overall for NIT? We have a minimum of 7 games left so if finish 16-16 let's say is that good enough? Only 1 of 3 home games left are easy & the road games are winnable but never easy. I hope we finish out at least 4-3 (17-15) but won't be easy without AG.

Not going to lose any sleep if we miss out on NIT but really want to avoid another losing record & NIT would be nice consolation & a solid building block.

Last edited:

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I was just about to ask this, so the rule is over .500 overall for NIT? We have a minimum of 7 games left so if finish 16-16 let's say is that good enough? Only 1 of 3 home games left are easy & the road games are winnable but never easy. I hope we finish at .500 or better but won't be easy without AG.

Not going to lose any sleep if miss out on NIT but really want to avoid another losing record...really hope find a way to get at least 3 more wins.
I don't think is necessarily a written rule, but I wouldn't expect to get into a postseason tourney without a winning record.

Reaction Score
Totally in on the NIT, it's a start in the right direction. Would be great for the young guys to get a feel for something beyond the AAC tourney.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think for Gilbert's own psych he needs to come back. He has to know he can play after a hard hit for his mind and body

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was just about to ask this, so the rule is over .500 overall for NIT? We have a minimum of 7 games left so if finish 16-16 let's say is that good enough? Only 1 of 3 home games left are easy & the road games are winnable but never easy. I hope we finish out at least 4-3 (17-15) but won't be easy without AG.

The 2006-07 Huskies had a 17-14 record and were not invited.

Reaction Score
From Wikipedia:

The NCAA announced a revamped selection process starting with the 2017 tournament. The main highlights are:

• Teams are no longer required to have .500 or greater records[clarification needed] to receive bids.
  • Similar to the automatic bids the NCAA Tournament grants for all conference tournament champions, all teams that won regular-season conference championships but failed to earn NCAA tournament bids are guaranteed places in the NIT.

In addition, the selection process was changed. ESPN no longer had a hand in the selection of the teams. Instead, a committee of former NCAA head coaches, chaired by Newton, and including Gene Keady (Purdue), Don DeVoe (Tennessee), Rudy Davalos, Les Robinson (NC State), Reggie Minton (Air Force), John Powers, and Carroll Williams among others, prepared a list of potential teams in advance.[50]

Reaction Score
I think we will be able to take care of USF and the 2 road games. Every game we have left is winnable

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well, ESPN is always against us, so their exclusion is probably for the good. Otherwise, I see B1G, SEC, ACC, MW, ECAC, WAC and WCC reps, but nobody from AAC... so we're screwed, right?

Reaction Score
This is a contingency plan in case we don't win the AAC tourney. Correct? It's always good to be prepared.
If Jalen & AG are able to play in the AAC tourney then sure we can win 4 games in 4 days...............not likely but maybe a 8% chance with both of them to win 4 of 4; without Jalen but have AG maybe a 2% chance; without either of them I would put the odds at .00000000000001%. (disclaimer: these numbers have no scientific basis)

On the positive side if both available for the NIT & we make it think we have an outside chance to reach MSG.

Reaction Score
I hate to be the one to break it to everyone but we’re not making the NIT either. How do I know this? I have eyes. With both Jalen and Gilbert we would have easily made it so there is no shame here and in fact there have been some good performances but without a real front court and 2 starting guards we are whistling in the wind. And I would be more than happy to eat my words if we do.

Reaction Score
I hate to be the one to break it to everyone but we’re not making the NIT either. How do I know this? I have eyes. With both Jalen and Gilbert we would have easily made it so there is no shame here and in fact there have been some good performances but without a real front court and 2 starting guards we are whistling in the wind. And I would be more than happy to eat my words if we do.

This guy has eyes people.

Reaction Score
100 teams make the postseason. Net has us at 82. Win 3/5 of our last games and we are in. No doubt. Winning 3/5 puts us at 7-10 in conference and probably a 7 seed or so. Maybe a 2-3 game run so add a win or two to that total and looks like a NIT worthy resume

Reaction Score
100 teams make the postseason. Net has us at 82. Win 3/5 of our last games and we are in. No doubt. Winning 3/5 puts us at 7-10 in conference and probably a 7 seed or so. Maybe a 2-3 game run so add a win or two to that total and looks like a NIT worthy resume
Does the NIT still have the rule that regular season conference champions who don't make the NCAA Tournament automatically earn a bid to the NIT? If so then UConn isn't making the NIT if they're around 80 in the NET.

Unless the Huskies go at least 4-2 in their remaining games and make a decent run in the AAC Tournament (I'll say 2 games is a decent run) then I don't think they're going to be in the NIT. But we'll see.

Reaction Score
Does he have to be so braggy about his eyes?
Well there’s always the possibility that my eyes have been lying to me this year. Fake sports. I’m going to have them checked now.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Gonna be real close. Better hope for no upsets in the 18 one-bid conferences. All you'd need is about 4 upsets and we're outside looking in.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg