OT: - 2019 NBA Playoffs | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: 2019 NBA Playoffs

Reaction Score
I’m not even a Rockets fan or anything. I’m calling it as I see it. Harden and CP3 got fouled on multiple 3 pt attempts. They have been called all year and they weren’t today.
Do you not have a problem with the Harden shoves?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I’m not even a Rockets fan or anything. I’m calling it as I see it. Harden and CP3 got fouled on multiple 3 pt attempts. They have been called all year and they weren’t today.

The last one was a good no call. He could’ve landed, he stuck his legs out to create the contact. Or it was at least close enough that it’s a reasonable determination. Refs are not supposed to give you that lockout, despite the ending to tenn/Purdue in the tourney this year.

the Q

Reaction Score
I saw him get away with like 1 or 2 questionable offensive fouls, so nah not really.

Was One of them was on that last 3?

the Q

Reaction Score
Last three was a clear push off and the one in the lane was blatant.

That’s just something that needs to be called more consistently at all levels. Too many times the defender has to flop just to get such an obvious call because otherwise they get nothing.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Kawhi is the best player in the NBA at this point
Offensively he does it all - from deep, the medium game and taking it to the hoop - passes as well as anyone
And guess what - likes to play D
I don't care if he has an attitude issue
I have also gained a huge amount of respect for a guy I really didn't like - Lowry
I hope my Celtics get the chance to meet them in the next round - I don't see Philly winning the series

Reaction Score
Kawhi is the best player in the NBA at this point
Offensively he does it all - from deep, the medium game and taking it to the hoop - passes as well as anyone
And guess what - likes to play D
I don't care if he has an attitude issue
I have also gained a huge amount of respect for a guy I really didn't like - Lowry
I hope my Celtics get the chance to meet them in the next round - I don't see Philly winning the series
Nope.

Reaction Score
This is one of those head-scratching situations where the NBA shoots itself in the foot. They've been calling the "landing spot" fouls for a while now--really on it since Kawhi's injury--and today they just stop? I despise the Rockets as much as the next fan but they got screwed today. How can you call that stuff all season long then decide to essentially change the rulebook on a whim?

Reaction Score
The only thing that can be said for the officiating in that Houston/Golden State game is that at least they were consistent. They completely blew it on the fouls on the three point shots, but that crew just wasn't going to call them, and it would have been even worse if they suddenly reversed course and called it on the last Houston attempt. I'll be curious to see how those plays are called moving forward.

Reaction Score
This is one of those head-scratching situations where the NBA shoots itself in the foot. They've been calling the "landing spot" fouls for a while now--really on it since Kawhi's injury--and today they just stop? I despise the Rockets as much as the next fan but they got screwed today. How can you call that stuff all season long then decide to essentially change the rulebook on a whim?

I was ok with the last no call because Harden kicked his legs out so far he couldn't even land upright but the 3 Klay no calls were egregious by the rule.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Celtics dominated Milwaukee. They really are the better team at every position Giannis isn't playing, and with a better bench on top of that. They just couldn't figure out how to play together for most of the season. They should get to the finals. Hopefully Philly and the Raptors beat each other up.

Reaction Score
Haven't watch much NBA this year. Thought I'd take in some of the GS/Houston game. What a disaster. The carrying is completely out of control. They should probably just do away with the rule. Also, get rid of double dribble while you're at it. Travelling already is dead. Maybe just get rid of dribbling. Be more like Australian Rules football. Run for a bit, bounce it. Run for a bit more. Whatever. Saw multiple fouls on Harding, whose game I dislike. Blatant fouls. Not called. What gives? Looked rigged. All season long they give the guy the foul when he gets breathed on. They changed the rule for the playoffs? All of them? Or just this series.
Really awful. Too little entertainment time in my life to watch this rendition of basketball.

the Q

Reaction Score
Haven't watch much NBA this year. Thought I'd take in some of the GS/Houston game. What a disaster. The carrying is completely out of control. They should probably just do away with the rule. Also, get rid of double dribble while you're at it. Travelling already is dead. Maybe just get rid of dribbling. Be more like Australian Rules football. Run for a bit, bounce it. Run for a bit more. Whatever. Saw multiple fouls on Harding, whose game I dislike. Blatant fouls. Not called. What gives? Looked rigged. All season long they give the guy the foul when he gets breathed on. They changed the rule for the playoffs? All of them? Or just this series.
Really awful. Too little entertainment time in my life to watch this rendition of basketball.

The nba has had these problems for years, since at least Allen Iverson with carrying. Dude was a walking violation.

When the nba has its favorites it creates exemptions.

Lebron with his crab dribble and that flopped ginoboli and the travel step...I mean euro step. The nba changes their rule to 2 complete steps not being a travel (and are still the only league on the planet with this rule irrc). They probably should go this route if they want to let the players commit this crap.

But these just show the nba is sports entertainment. Like the nfl. It’s now built for the casual fan and they swing it in a way that helps the league more than being about the game itself.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Kept waiting for Milwaukee to start burying 3s and make it a fight game.

As much better as we looked and given how we cruised past the Pacers (who may be the worst 5 seed in history) I still have very little confidence in the Celtics, but I’m getting more comfortable

Reaction Score
The nba has had these problems for years, since at least Allen Iverson with carrying. Dude was a walking violation.

It gradually gets worse over time. It's comical what offensive players get away with today.

I remember back in the day people would kill Ewing for his 4-step post moves going from one block to the other. That seems like peanuts compared to today.
  • Everyone can travel, and it's not even the extra step that's bad. It's when guys are around the rim and shuffle their feet or change their pivot foot four times.
  • Everyone can carry. AI's generation normalized this.
  • Players are rewarded for creating contact no matter the situation. You can be driving in a straight line to the hoop and jump two feet sideways into a defender, who's in perfect legal guarding position and entitled to their own space, yet the refs call a foul.
  • Push-offs are hardly ever called. Guys like Harden push off several times a game to create space and it's rarely called.
  • Illegal screens are a joke. It's not hyperbole to say 90% of screens in the NBA are moving. It's challenging enough to get around a legal screen set by a 6'11 250 lbs human being, now try doing it while they're moving!
It's a minor miracle anyone can defend in today's NBA. If the game was called by the real rules of basketball, Harden would be a walking turnover. An offensive foul or a violation on nearly every possession.

Reaction Score
Re: BOS/MIL, I'm curious to see what Bud comes up with in terms of adjustments. MIL is sort of a one-trick pony via Giannis and when he can't do what he does well (get going downhill and overpower smaller defenders) then he, and in turn the Bucks, are a mess. Horford frustrated Embiid last year. He's a big, strong, smart defender. At one point yesterday Giannis was 3/15 from the floor. Billups suggested getting Giannis more post touches or touches closer to the rim but he's not going to be able to consistently move Horford off his spot. Bud needs to earn his paycheck and figure out how to get Giannis going.

Boston can play multiple ways. Same with Philly and GSW and TOR. Houston and Milwaukee are the one-trick teams that I think are susceptible to a certain bad matchup.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It gradually gets worse over time. It's comical what offensive players get away with today.

I remember back in the day people would kill Ewing for his 4-step post moves going from one block to the other. That seems like peanuts compared to today.
  • Everyone can travel, and it's not even the extra step that's bad. It's when guys are around the rim and shuffle their feet or change their pivot foot four times.
  • Everyone can carry. AI's generation normalized this.
  • Players are rewarded for creating contact no matter the situation. You can be driving in a straight line to the hoop and jump two feet sideways into a defender, who's in perfect legal guarding position and entitled to their own space, yet the refs call a foul.
  • Push-offs are hardly ever called. Guys like Harden push off several times a game to create space and it's rarely called.
  • Illegal screens are a joke. It's not hyperbole to say 90% of screens in the NBA are moving. It's challenging enough to get around a legal screen set by a 6'11 250 lbs human being, now try doing it while they're moving!
It's a minor miracle anyone can defend in today's NBA. If the game was called by the real rules of basketball, Harden would be a walking turnover. An offensive foul or a violation on nearly every possession.
Funny thing is, all those things are over-called in the college game.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hey! y'all gotta give props to the creator of the modern handle--mr. chris smith, UConn's alltime leader in points. in fact, that cbs/duke guy billy packer even named it 'the smitty shuffle,' which began the era of crossovers with paws. smitty! from Bridgeport! father of the 'I just broke yo ankles dribble!' carry on...

the Q

Reaction Score
Funny thing is, all those things are over-called in the college game.

Disagree. Especially on the offensive push off. That still happens a ton and is ignored a lot

Reaction Score
The basketball is still good enough for everyone especially announcers to stop bitching about the refs and talk about the games. Durant & Kyrie made some crazy shots yesterday and THAT's the biggest part of why their teams won - calls here and there happen, play thru it.
Coaching wise the Nene substitution was bizarre and might have cost Houston that game, it is still TBD for D'Antoni to prove himself on the biggest stage. The GSW have the best player in Durant and a better coach, and Harden has always withered in the playoffs. I think it'll take 6 or 7, but I like GState.
Milwaukee I'm going to wait for the other shoe to drop, that was easily the best game the Celtics have played all year and they weren't consistent in the regular season, but might actually possess the proverbial on-off playoff switch!? I don't know that to expect for game 2, 30% a blowout the other way, 50% close game, 20% Celtics do something similar to game 1. Giannis is still the best player in that series, but Kyrie is close and then the Celtics are much better 2-8 - provided they continue to play as a team. Gordon Hayward being great at times again has made a major difference.

Reaction Score
The basketball is still good enough for everyone especially announcers to stop bitching about the refs and talk about the games. Durant & Kyrie made some crazy shots yesterday and THAT's the biggest part of why their teams won - calls here and there happen, play thru it.
Coaching wise the Nene substitution was bizarre and might have cost Houston that game, it is still TBD for D'Antoni to prove himself on the biggest stage. The GSW have the best player in Durant and a better coach, and Harden has always withered in the playoffs. I think it'll take 6 or 7, but I like GState.
Milwaukee I'm going to wait for the other shoe to drop, that was easily the best game the Celtics have played all year and they weren't consistent in the regular season, but might actually possess the proverbial on-off playoff switch!? I don't know that to expect for game 2, 30% a blowout the other way, 50% close game, 20% Celtics do something similar to game 1. Giannis is still the best player in that series, but Kyrie is close and then the Celtics are much better 2-8 - provided they continue to play as a team. Gordon Hayward being great at times again has made a major difference.

I felt like he had to try Nene there, they had just given up offensive rebounds on two consecutive possessions. He just got caught on a switch and Curry hit a shot.

the Q

Reaction Score

This is why you gotta call the game tight.

81 calls?

I know you gotta let some things go, but this is a lot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom