OT: - 2019 NBA Playoffs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: 2019 NBA Playoffs

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if he doesn't get a supermax. MJ loves Kemba and isn't interested in rebuilding. Wouldn't surprise me if they sign Boogie over the summer, who probably won't have many suitors. MJ is perfectly fine with being a 5-8 seed.

How is that going to happen?

Charlotte Hornets Team Payroll | Basketball-Reference.com

Charlotte is at $102 million next season (assuming all the player contract options are exercised, which I expect to happen) BEFORE they sign Kemba. The cap will be $109 million, and Luxury Tax will kick in at $132 million. Jordan would have to match every dollar over the LT level back to the NBA. I don't see that happening.

If Charlotte can dump some contracts, then maybe they can keep Kemba, but Charlotte has been shopping the bad contracts (Batum, Williams, Kidd Gilchrist) for years, and no one wants them.

Reaction Score
Kemba doing everything for his team with 22 at the half but it won't matter, Pistons up huge Drummond beasting with 16 and 12 in the first half.

I love Andre but he shouldn't be responding to critical fans on twitter.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Bucks vs. Pistons
Raptors vs. Magic
76ers vs. Nets
Celtics vs. Pacers

Warriors vs. Clippers
Nuggets vs. Spurs
Trail Blazers vs. Thunder
Rockets vs. Jazz

The first three series in the East should be about 5 game affairs. The Celtics and Pacers got a little more interesting with Smart's injury, but I do not think the Pacers can win a playoff series without Oladipo.

The Warriors will probably sweep the Clippers, but the other three Western Conference series should be exciting. Spurs could upset the Nuggets, who seem like they are a year away from really competing for a conference title. Any of the four teams from the 2/7 and 3/6 matchups could realistically make the conference finals. The Warriors' path got a lot tougher when the Rockets dropped to #4. Assuming the Rockets get by the Jazz, that will be a tough matchup for the Warriors.

Reaction Score
t7EE2xy.jpg

Reaction Score
Not totally shocked that Philly lost game one but if this becomes a difficult series, and Simmons doesn't show up big in the coming games, you have to think about trading Simmons.

Edit now THAT is surprising. Orlando steals game 1. Lowry had a terrible time shooting today

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
3 of the lower seeds won Game 1 on Saturday.

76ers/Nets - If Embiid has a bad wheel, the 76ers are still the better team but they could lose this series. Bad knees are not the kind of thing that can be played through either, which makes the 76ers look like less of a threat in the next round if they survive this one.

Raptors/Magic - I forgot about the Raptors' issue with gagging in game ones. I don't know how this is even a thing for an NBA team.

Nuggets/Spurs - Spurs won this game with Aldridge and Derozan shooting a combined 33% from the field. That is a bad sign for the Nuggets.

Reaction Score
The most impressive performance of the weekend to me was Dame. After last year's embarassing sweep they were all but forgotten and OKC was the consensus pick to win. He hit 2 clutch bombs 5 feet behind the arc and came through every time they needed a big bucket. Dame has really separated himself as the 3rd best guard IMO and is such a good guy.

Reaction Score
I am so interested in seeing how the 76ers rebound. The tied has turned rapidly on Simmons and after his comments about his fanbase he has all the pressure in the world.

Reaction Score
Nah not “poor Drummond” he just made a disgraceful play. He should be a leader on this team but is showing immaturity.
What's he supposed to do? He had around a double double for the half and they were losing by nearly 30. It's him and basically a bunch of G league players.

Reaction Score
What's he supposed to do? He had around a double double for the half and they were losing by nearly 30. It's him and basically a bunch of G league players.
Yeah I agree the team sucks that’s fine, but suggesting “what’s he supposed to do?” to qualify his actions is kinda ridiculous. Just because your team is getting killed doesn’t mean you go get yourself kicked out of a game for an unnecessary, dangerous play.

Reaction Score
Yeah I agree the team sucks that’s fine, but suggesting “what’s he supposed to do?” to qualify his actions is kinda ridiculous. Just because your team is getting killed doesn’t mean you go get yourself kicked out of a game for an unnecessary, dangerous play.
What happened?

Just pulled it up. With the rules it isn't a basketball play but come on, that was nothing. It wasn't undercutting someone airborne or in any way going to hurt him. You made it sound like he did something horrifying, he shoved him.

Reaction Score
What happened?

Just pulled it up. With the rules it isn't a basketball play but come on, that was nothing. It wasn't undercutting someone airborne or in any way going to hurt him. You made it sound like he did something horrifying, he shoved him.
I’m saying it’s incredibly immature and not something a leader on his team should do.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Celtics/Pacers - this series would have been a lot more fun with Oladipo.

Trail Blazers/Thunder - Kanter is one of those players that it is hard to figure out just how good he is. He sucks on D, but he is very effective offensively and is a good rebounder.

Bucks/Pistons - Detroit would be the worst team in the NBA if you took away Griffin and Drummond.

Rockets/Jazz - Rockets win may be the most impressive win of the weekend. Jazz are a solid team, and they got embarrassed.

Reaction Score
Celtics/Pacers - this series would have been a lot more fun with Oladipo.

Trail Blazers/Thunder - Kanter is one of those players that it is hard to figure out just how good he is. He sucks on D, but he is very effective offensively and is a good rebounder.

Bucks/Pistons - Detroit would be the worst team in the NBA if you took away Griffin and Drummond.

Rockets/Jazz - Rockets win may be the most impressive win of the weekend. Jazz are a solid team, and they got embarrassed.

They may be the worst playoff team I have ever seen. I think Houston getting Utah was better for them than playing OKC. I know it means Golden State in the second round, but you have to play them anyway, so you may as well get it over with. I'm not saying Houston will roll Utah, and playoff series can change game to game, but Utah is a good match up for them.

Reaction Score
How is that going to happen?

Charlotte Hornets Team Payroll | Basketball-Reference.com

Charlotte is at $102 million next season (assuming all the player contract options are exercised, which I expect to happen) BEFORE they sign Kemba. The cap will be $109 million, and Luxury Tax will kick in at $132 million. Jordan would have to match every dollar over the LT level back to the NBA. I don't see that happening.

If Charlotte can dump some contracts, then maybe they can keep Kemba, but Charlotte has been shopping the bad contracts (Batum, Williams, Kidd Gilchrist) for years, and no one wants them.

They're screwed on Batum but come July 1 Williams, Biyombo, and MGK all become expiring contracts, more valuable and moveable than they were in February. Even if they move just MGK and sign Kemba to the max (1st year salary is roughly $32m) they'll be at $121m plus whatever their rookies make - it'll be below the luxury threshold. Plus, looking ahead one year when all those guys come off the books they'll free up another $32m in space. Signing Kemba is about more than just next season, obviously.

There is enough talk about CHA bringing back both Kemba and Lamb; the financials for bringing back Kemba aren't a concern.

Reaction Score
Shabazz is in will most likely get the last 6 minutes here.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They're screwed on Batum but come July 1 Williams, Biyombo, and MGK all become expiring contracts, more valuable and moveable than they were in February. Even if they move just MGK and sign Kemba to the max (1st year salary is roughly $32m) they'll be at $121m plus whatever their rookies make - it'll be below the luxury threshold. Plus, looking ahead one year when all those guys come off the books they'll free up another $32m in space. Signing Kemba is about more than just next season, obviously.

There is enough talk about CHA bringing back both Kemba and Lamb; the financials for bringing back Kemba aren't a concern.

Will showing Kemba Walker urgency change Charlotte Hornets’ draft strategy? | Charlotte Observer

Money quote:

Q. In your opinion, would it be better to let the contracts of Bismack Biyombo, Marvin Williams and Kidd-Gilchrist expire after next season, or try to find some trade for one or more of them?

A. Those three contracts expiring in the summer of 2020 means Kupchak will have choices. In the absence of specific trade proposals, it’s impossible to say what’s best.

Trading an expiring contract would likely acquire a player with a contract beyond next season. That’s reason to be cautious. But everything at this point has the subtext of looking to give Walker more reason to stay.

The financials are a big concern. If Charlotte signs both Lamb and Kemba, they will be way over the luxury tax.

Biyombo, Williams and MGK are valuable contracts if there is a good player on a bad team that Charlotte wants, and that bad team is in rebuilding mode. Bradley Beal is an example. Kevin Love is another. Mike Conley is available for anyone that wants that contract, but he plays the same position as Kemba. Anyone on Miami is available, but who wants them? One wildcard could be the Lakers at the end of free agency if they strike out on the big names.

There are a few other teams that may be willing to deal. Detroit has an aging superstar in Griffin, another star in his prime in Drummond, but they are light years from contending from an overall talent standpoint, and they are over the salary cap in 2019-20. The problem with Detroit is that they have been bad for so long that they may not be willing to start a new rebuilding process.

Houston's two stars will be 30 and 34 a year from now, and they are going to have to go over the Luxury Tax to put together a team capable of competing for a Championship next season. If they get bounced in the first or second round this year, they may consider blowing the team up.

I don't know what Oklahoma City is thinking with that roster. They seem to want to compete, but they are in Luxury Tax territory, and they finished 6th this season. They are still young, but they have no where to go from a cap perspective.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
when is Batum's contract up? That has to be one of the worst contracts in the league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom