2019 MLB Draft: A look at Connecticut’s candidates | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2019 MLB Draft: A look at Connecticut’s candidates

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
11th round typically implies an overslot signing.

Reaction Score
11th round typically implies an overslot signing.
There is no slot per se for 11th round. There is a 125k bonus limit at that round before it starts counting against the pool.

11th round is really only an advantageous position for a HS Sr to have leverage. Not really sure data backs up your "typically" assertion in regard to college players.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Great data point for the conference going forward, regardless. The schools are showing their potential. General Oklahoma baseball fans didn't treat UConn making it to the regional final as a cinderella act.

Reaction Score
Rather than start a separate thread I’ll drop this here (you should be able to access - not $$): Baseball America: Draft System Has Pushed Teams To Pick More College Players

>> Fifty-one of the 78 total selections on the first day of this year’s draft came out of four-year college programs, or roughly 65.4 percent of the pre-third round draft pool. That is the second-highest rate of four-year players selected in that portion of the draft. Only the 1981 draft (69.2 percent) is higher, and that was at a time when junior college players were selected in a separate January draft.

But it’s not just the top of the draft in which teams have begun prioritizing and drafting college players. It’s throughout the top 10 rounds, and it’s through the entirety of Day 3 as well.<<

Goes on to talk about how changes in signing bonus/slot $ impact things.

Reaction Score

Santos didn't get the call from organized pro ball, but there seem to be a bunch of independent league teams such as New Britain where he might get a chance to continue pitching.

Reaction Score
Rather than start a separate thread I’ll drop this here (you should be able to access - not $$): Baseball America: Draft System Has Pushed Teams To Pick More College Players

>> Fifty-one of the 78 total selections on the first day of this year’s draft came out of four-year college programs, or roughly 65.4 percent of the pre-third round draft pool. That is the second-highest rate of four-year players selected in that portion of the draft. Only the 1981 draft (69.2 percent) is higher, and that was at a time when junior college players were selected in a separate January draft.

But it’s not just the top of the draft in which teams have begun prioritizing and drafting college players. It’s throughout the top 10 rounds, and it’s through the entirety of Day 3 as well.<<

Goes on to talk about how changes in signing bonus/slot $ impact things.

One other good quote, which matches up with the argument Coach Penders has for high school players that they should play college ball rather than go straight into the minors:

>Multiple teams have told Baseball America that they are more prone to pass on high school pitchers at the top of the draft because of the recent struggles of that demographic. And teams have a much more robust dataset for college players thanks to a deeper statistical resume and troves of analytical data from Trackman, etc., to a depth that isn't possible to acquire with high school players. Both of those reasons can push teams to take more college players. The increase in college players taken in the first two rounds this year would seem to indicate there is something to this trend.<

Reaction Score
This year the MLB draft signing deadline is July 12, about a month from now. So we don't have that long to wait to find out the final status of Mason Feole, Jake Wallace, and Reggie Crawford.

When Is The MLB Draft Signing Deadline?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That CT is basically even with NY, NJ and PA, and ahead of MA, with a significantly smaller population, is a strong statement about the quality of youth baseball programs in the state. Kudos to all involved.

Even outside the northeast, Connecticut seems to match up pretty well with other states. The only northern state that seems to do significantly better than Connecticut in producing MLB draft choices looks like Illinois. Most of these other states have a population size advantage over Connecticut.

Reaction Score
I've mentioned before that my wife and I have season tickets to the Connecticut Tigers in Norwich. This weekend eight 2019 draft picks from the college ranks had just joined the team. I was looking at an updated roster at the games this weekend, and I found that Bryant Packard from East Carolina had joined the team. After all the hitting he did against UConn over the last few seasons, it is good to have him with the home team for a change.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom