2019 Grad Transfer Michael Hinton Change of Heart | The Boneyard

2019 Grad Transfer Michael Hinton Change of Heart

Reaction Score
Buried in this article: College coaches, at UConn and elsewhere, grappling with pros and cons of grad-transfer ‘free agency’

>>After last season, defensive lineman Michael Hinton, who graduated from Columbia, committed to play at UConn as a grad student and signed a financial aid agreement, binding for the school, but not the player. Last week, Hinton changed course and decided to play at Tulane, another AAC school, and Edsall believes he will not be able to use the scholarship on another player, because Hinton had signed a financial agreement at UConn.<<

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Buried in this article: College coaches, at UConn and elsewhere, grappling with pros and cons of grad-transfer ‘free agency’

>>After last season, defensive lineman Michael Hinton, who graduated from Columbia, committed to play at UConn as a grad student and signed a financial aid agreement, binding for the school, but not the player. Last week, Hinton changed course and decided to play at Tulane, another AAC school, and Edsall believes he will not be able to use the scholarship on another player, because Hinton had signed a financial agreement at UConn.<<
Wonder if this will result in Randy holding off on signing some grad transfer targets until July in an effort to manage risk.

Reaction Score
Well that sucks. Wonder if it had to do with an area of study he was interested in.

Reaction Score
Well that sucks. Wonder if it had to do with an area of study he was interested in.
That’s why I was thinking.
Perhaps Law?
Anywho, we’ll never know what we missed out on since he’s never played a snap here so movin on.
Good thing is we play him on Oct 12th. Funny how things work out

Reaction Score
Perhaps all those weight room hype videos scared him off? Not a hard worker?

Reaction Score
I knew this was gonna happen... he was too quiet. Smh... At the same time though, Tulane does look a little better on the resume

Reaction Score
I knew this was gonna happen... he was too quiet. Smh... At the same time though, Tulane does look a little better on the resume

Mmmm. What are you thinking.

A State University has massive Grad programs. Tulane ... what? Business or Law or What? Grad degrees leading to lots of vocations are far more utilitarian at a State U. Including the University of Connecticut.

If you have a specific focus from Hinton ... I totally agree. In general - Nope

Reaction Score
... Edsall believes he will not be able to use the scholarship on another player, because Hinton had signed a financial agreement at UConn.<<
”Financial agreement”? More likely, timing poses challenges to recruiting another player than Hinton unilaterally pulling out of a “financial agreement”.
That’s why I was thinking. Perhaps Law?
”Law”? Perhaps Hinton has a strange proclivity for learning about Louisiana Civil Code based on the French Legal Code and Roman-Germanic legal principles. LSU didn’t recruit him, so Tulane was his only option in the States. Uh, doubt it!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Maybe UConn was his safety school. Whatever it is, unless the UConn academics/admissions done him wrong post signing that financial aid agreement I feel a little cheated. Whatever, I dont wish him well. And yes, I have a very different view about grad students and honoring their commitment than undergrads who really are just kids.

Reaction Score
Kid had internships at McKinsey and Accenture and is graduating from Columbia, so he's obviously a total slacker.

Here’s a hard lesson

From the Northeast, you are proximate to huge jumping off points from this two internships. Tulane? Even if you went to UCLA. Fact is (I learned this), Geography tilts your Opportunity Set. This is fine if you want a less large pool of opportunity OR land in a dozen South economic centers. But the factor of opportunities is less.

I suspect a Michael Hinton, though, has a full slate of possible paths.

Reaction Score
Absolutely true on the French Legal Code. I took Real Estate Law course work in Quebec. Scant applications in most all of North America. Same in LA.

What am I to do knowing about a Emphateutic Lease.

Reaction Score

A State University has massive Grad programs. Tulane ... what? Business or Law or What? Grad degrees leading to lots of vocations are far more utilitarian at a State U. Including the University of Connecticut.

Specific focus all day long. Put it like this, I'm assuming he's interested in law school. No disrespect to state U but it's program is not in the same ball park as many others.

Reaction Score
Kid had internships at McKinsey and Accenture and is graduating from Columbia, so he's obviously a total slacker.
Exactly! See I was right. The videos scared him off.
Thanks for supporting my theory.

Reaction Score
Specific focus all day long. Put it like this, I'm assuming he's interested in law school. No disrespect to state U but it's program is not in the same ball park as many others.
Or architecture, a grad program not offered by UConn. Or, other grad studies. Or, a 22 year old kid simply jumped for a different football opportunity. Or, a 22 year old kid who studied in Morningside found propsects of a year or so in Nawlins enticing for academic or other reasons. Or, some hybrid. Regardless, Hinton’s in the rear view mirror except for a game, maybe two. Moving on, next ...

C

Chief00

Tulane is academically an elite southern school. In that growing region jobs will be plentiful.
Since they are in the same conference, we can not rationalize this is due to
level of play or competition.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Last week, Hinton changed course and decided to play at Tulane, another AAC school, and Edsall believes he will not be able to use the scholarship on another player, because Hinton had signed a financial agreement at UConn.<<
Regardless of why he left, there's something wrong with the system if we are hamstrung a scholarship when a player reneges and goes to another school. How does that make any sense?

Reaction Score
Tulane is academically an elite southern school. In that growing region jobs will be plentiful.
Since they are in the same conference, we can not rationalize this is due to
level of play or competition.

I’m concluding you don’t know what you are talking about ... often. And quite obviously, most all the BY readers concluded that quite awhile ago.

Don’t give Chief ... nuance.

Reaction Score
I’m concluding you don’t know what you are talking about ... often. And quite obviously, most all the BY readers concluded that quite awhile ago.

Don’t give Chief ... nuance.

Hey leave Chief alone, it’s his opinion on a post just as it’s yours or mine. I enjoy reading his post and just take them for what they are. You can just ignore him.

Reaction Score
Hey leave Chief alone, it’s his opinion on a post just as it’s yours or mine. I enjoy reading his post and just take them for what they are. You can just ignore him.

Nobody ignores him

It’s ok. It’s me responding to his dig at me after others. We are all Big Boys here ... and some girls.

C

Chief00

It wasn’t a dig at you, just my feedback that Tulane is a well respected school in that region of the country and it’s a growing region.

Reaction Score
Time to put this thread to bed.. Hinton's not coming... Let him get glorified on the Tulane message board from here on in...

Reaction Score
It wasn’t a dig at you, just my feedback that Tulane is a well respected school in that region of the country and it’s a growing region.

But ... but ... you can use data & rankings etc etc. Logical?

Take Grad rankings in Engineering or Psychology or Education? UCONN is far higher ranked than Tulane; and that’s not a knock on Tulane. UConn Law School - someone posed? We are far higher ranked

Hey. We are TIED in Grad rankings for Social Work - at a notable #36.

As someone who went to Grad school far away from his home Northeastern base ... (UCLA) ... Tulane sets you us in a good slice of the South. The kid is from Winston Salem. But, frankly, UConn Grad has far more exciting opportunities for landing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom