2019 Conference Opener: UConn @ Houston (Fri. 3/22 @7:30p ET, Sat. 3/23 @ 7:30p ET & Sun. 3/24 @ 12:30p ET) | The Boneyard

2019 Conference Opener: UConn @ Houston (Fri. 3/22 @7:30p ET, Sat. 3/23 @ 7:30p ET & Sun. 3/24 @ 12:30p ET)

Reaction Score
UConn: BSB Opens Conference Play At Houston
UConn Game Notes for Houston

University of Houston: Preview: vs. UConn* Bark in the Park Weekend
Houston Game notes for UConn

Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park - Capacity 5,000 w/ Field Turf

Left Field: 330 ft
Center Field: 400 ft
Right Field: 330 ft

Probable Starting Pitchers:

Friday: UConn LHP Mason Feole (0-0, 5.56) v. Houston LHP Lael Lockhart Jr. (1-2, 4.62)

Saturday: UConn RHP Jeff Kersten (3-0, 4.18) v. Houston RHP Ryan Randel (2-1, 2.30)

Sunday: Houston TBD vs. UConn TBD

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Houston is a team that has given UConn baseball problems ever since the formation of the AAC conference. UConn has never won a conference series played at Houston.

Reaction Score
So UConn has TBA for the Sunday pitcher. That got me thinking, which I'm sure you all realize by now can be a dangerous thing. If UConn gets a solid 6+ innings from both Mason Feole and Jeff Kersten in the first two games of the series, then the bullpen won't be overly taxed at that point. If that happens, I'm wondering if Colby Dunlop might make a return to the weekend rotation. The coaching staff has always made much about his upside potential., so I'm sure they would love to get him back to starting the weekend games. Since Dunlop pitched on Wednesday, he might possibly go for only a few innings on Sunday, with the rest of the game being a staff bullpen day. And that would put him back to the weekend schedule.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that a UConn starting pitcher with plenty of potential was taken out of the weekend rotation, only to return a several weeks later. The same thing happened with Wills Montgomerie during his sophomore year when he lost his weekend starting job in March and was back in the weekend role by around the middle of April.

Reaction Score
So UConn has TBA for the Sunday pitcher. That got me thinking, which I'm sure you all realize by now can be a dangerous thing. If UConn gets a solid 6+ innings from both Mason Feole and Jeff Kersten in the first two games of the series, then the bullpen won't be overly taxed at that point. If that happens, I'm wondering if Colby Dunlop might make a return to the weekend rotation. The coaching staff has always made much about his upside potential., so I'm sure they would love to get him back to starting the weekend games. Since Dunlop pitched on Wednesday, he might possibly go for only a few innings on Sunday, with the rest of the game being a staff bullpen day. And that would put him back to the weekend schedule.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that a UConn starting pitcher with plenty of potential was taken out of the weekend rotation, only to return a several weeks later. The same thing happened with Wills Montgomerie during his sophomore year when he lost his weekend starting job in March and was back in the weekend role by around the middle of April.

I'm not surprised if Dunlop comes back into the rotation in the future. I'd be shocked if it were Sunday. First, the way Wang and Haus pitched it is not an immediate need. Second, if they do this it will be when he doesn't pitch midweek, or at least he starts on Tuesday and doesn't go as deep as he did Wednesday.

To me, it just means there is uncertainty between Wang and Haus, and it may matter if he has a need for one in relief Friday or Saturday.

Reaction Score
From D1 Kendall Rogers in his weekend preview column (Prospects to Watch):

>>2. Mason Feole, UConn: The talented lefthander didn’t return to the mound from an injury until the Texas State series three weekends ago. That weekend, he tossed four shutout innings, while allowing five runs in four innings last weekend against a weak Michigan State club. Now, plenty of eyes are going to be on the hard-nosed lefty this weekend as he faces Houston, one of the better teams in the American.<<

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised if Dunlop comes back into the rotation in the future. I'd be shocked if it were Sunday. First, the way Wang and Haus pitched it is not an immediate need. Second, if they do this it will be when he doesn't pitch midweek, or at least he starts on Tuesday and doesn't go as deep as he did Wednesday.

To me, it just means there is uncertainty between Wang and Haus, and it may matter if he has a need for one in relief Friday or Saturday.

What you say does make some sense. However, it has happened before with UConn baseball. Back in 2016 Wills Mongomerie started a Wednesday game against Hartford, and then was back in the weekend rotation starting the following Sunday in a game against Cincinnati. Given what the coaching staff thinks of Dunlop's potential, it wouldn't surprise me if it happens again.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Take 2 out of 3...that UVA loss should never have happened but winning this series would make up for it.

Reaction Score
Today's game is huge. Hopefully Feole improves from his Michigan State outing.

Reaction Score
Feole strikes out 3 in the bottom of the 2nd. Still scoreless.

Reaction Score
Feole looking really good. 6 strikeouts thru 3. Could use some bats tho. Scoreless heading into the 4th.

Reaction Score
Could have sworn in years past that they had a center field camera angle at Houston's ballpark. This guy isn't even moving the camera from behind the plate. Oh well.

Reaction Score
Feole retires them 1-2-3 in the bottom of the 4th. UCONN still leads 2-0.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom