2019 Cheryl Miller Candidates Announced | The Boneyard

2019 Cheryl Miller Candidates Announced

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The initial candidates for the Cheryl Miller Award, which recognizes the best small forward in WCBB, was just released.
Gabby Williams, of course, won the award last year.

No UConn player was nominated to the pre-season list.

According to the press release linked below, "By mid-February, the watch list of 20 players for the 2019 Cheryl Miller Award will be narrowed to just 10. In March, five finalists will be presented to Ms. Miller and the Hall of Fame’s selection committee. Fans will also have the opportunity to vote for their favorite finalist at www.hoophallawards.com."

If memory holds, the mid-February list can include players not initially on the list, giving an opportunity to new starters to receive consideration based on their performance up that point.

The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame :: Basketball Hall of Fame, WBCA Announce Candidates for 2019 Cheryl Miller Award

2019 Cheryl Miller Award Candidates

- Mart'e Grays: DePaul
- Leaonna Odom: Duke
- Francesca Pan: Georgia Tech
- Bridget Carleton: Iowa St
- Erika Davenport: Marquette
- Kaila Charles: Maryland
- Sophie Cunningham: Missouri
- Lexi Klabo: North Dakota
- Courtney Woods: Northern Illinois
- Jackie Young: Notre Dame
- Satou Sabally: Oregon
- Katie McWilliams: Oregon St.
- Miranda Drummond: Syracuse
- Rennia Davis: Tennessee
- Tia Wooten: Tennessee St.
- Joyner Holmes: Texas
- Jocelyn Willoughby: Virginia
- Elisa Penna: Wake Forest
- Borislava Hristova: Washington St.
- Naomi Davenport: West Virginia

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I was slacking today, you beat me to it. I have to admit I'm unfamiliar with several of these players. And of course there is some question about what position some of them play. Sabally played the 4 the majority of last season for UO. I was surprised Hristova wasn't on the list for shooting guards yesterday, but here she is today as a small forward. I guess it's a very subtle difference between the two in some programs.

Reaction Score
I completely agree with posters. This is really KLS's category and a challenge to MW to get herself on the next iteration. I'm sure Pheesa will be on the power forward list.

HGN

Reaction Score
The initial candidates for the Cheryl Miller Award, which recognizes the best small forward in WCBB, was just released.
Gabby Williams, of course, won the award last year.

No UConn player was nominated to the pre-season list.

According to the press release linked below, "By mid-February, the watch list of 20 players for the 2019 Cheryl Miller Award will be narrowed to just 10. In March, five finalists will be presented to Ms. Miller and the Hall of Fame’s selection committee. Fans will also have the opportunity to vote for their favorite finalist at www.hoophallawards.com."

If memory holds, the mid-February list can include players not initially on the list, giving an opportunity to new starters to receive consideration based on their performance up that point.

The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame :: Basketball Hall of Fame, WBCA Announce Candidates for 2019 Cheryl Miller Award

2019 Cheryl Miller Award Candidates

- Mart'e Grays: DePaul
- Leaonna Odom: Duke
- Francesca Pan: Georgia Tech
- Bridget Carleton: Iowa St
- Erika Davenport: Marquette
- Kaila Charles: Maryland
- Sophie Cunningham: Missouri
- Lexi Klabo: North Dakota
- Courtney Woods: Northern Illinois
- Jackie Young: Notre Dame
- Satou Sabally: Oregon
- Katie McWilliams: Oregon St.
- Miranda Drummond: Syracuse
- Rennia Davis: Tennessee
- Tia Wooten: Tennessee St.
- Joyner Holmes: Texas
- Jocelyn Willoughby: Virginia
- Elisa Penna: Wake Forest
- Borislava Hristova: Washington St.
- Naomi Davenport: West Virginia
From looking at the list I am sure either Napheesa Collier or Megan Walker will play themselves unto the list. And perhaps someone on the list currently will play themselves off of the list.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
From looking at the list I am sure either Napheesa Collier or Megan Walker will play themselves unto the list. And perhaps someone on the list currently will play themselves off of the list.
Pheesa will be up for whatever award is given to power forwards/centers. Hopefully Megan gets added to this list.

Reaction Score
Id say this award comes down to Sophie vs Rennia

I’d take Charles, Young, and Odom over both in a heartbeat. And I wouldn’t discount Davenport of WVU or McWilliams of OSU either!

Reaction Score
I’d take Charles, Young, and Odom over both in a heartbeat. And I wouldn’t discount Davenport of WVU or McWilliams of OSU either!
Thank you for acknowledging Katie McWilliams from Oregon State. For those who don't know who played the most minutes for Scott Rueck's OSU Beavers last year, it was Katie McWilliams. At 6'2" she can do everything well. She played the point guard position for 8 games her freshman year when Sydney Wiese broke her hand. That same freshman year, UCONN fans may remember, hit 3 consecutive 3-pointers for OSU in NCAA Playoff game vs UCONN. She is a great passer, and, last year scored the winning bucket in the final seconds of 3 different games for OSU. Katie Mac (as we refer to her) hasn't received much recognition, even in the PAC12. But Rueck recognizes her by giving her the most minutes of all OSU players last year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
LOTRADER, I think Katie Mac did too much deferring for most of her career. She scored 28 or 29 I believe in the first or second game of her soph year, but then wasn't much of a scoring threat the rest of they way. She noticeably took on more of a scoring load starting about the midpoint of her Jr. season. For a player that hasn't averaged double figures yet in her career, it's not unreasonable that she could be around a 15 ppg scorer this season. Her multiple game winners were certainly one of the highlights of the season last year.

Reaction Score
Thank you for acknowledging Katie McWilliams from Oregon State. For those who don't know who played the most minutes for Scott Rueck's OSU Beavers last year, it was Katie McWilliams. At 6'2" she can do everything well. She played the point guard position for 8 games her freshman year when Sydney Wiese broke her hand. That same freshman year, UCONN fans may remember, hit 3 consecutive 3-pointers for OSU in NCAA Playoff game vs UCONN. She is a great passer, and, last year scored the winning bucket in the final seconds of 3 different games for OSU. Katie Mac (as we refer to her) hasn't received much recognition, even in the PAC12. But Rueck recognizes her by giving her the most minutes of all OSU players last year.

She stood out to me in the Tenn and Baylor games. She does a lot of things well and should be a great piece for you all this year!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I am wanting to see how much Rennia Davis has improved. I heard she has worked on ball handling and posting up.

Reaction Score
LOTRADER, I think Katie Mac did too much deferring for most of her career. ..
Players like Katie will seldom if ever get these sort of awards purely for the reason you mentioned. That is unless the teams they are on are very high profile so that the voters can observe and actually judge the player on other things besides their stats. Most of the time the awards are won by scorers. Especially in college.

Reaction Score
This looks to be the weakest list out there by far of all the awards. And yes, Katie Lou should be on this one, not the SG.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom