2019 AAC Football Media Days - July 15th/16th in Newport RI | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2019 AAC Football Media Days - July 15th/16th in Newport RI

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Then we're screwed regardless, and protecting basketball until everything falls apart was the right call.

If the p5 dream ever happens, its not going to be BECAUSE of football. As far as the sports factors it will be because of our powerhouse basketball programs and a football program that is "good enough." You're right, way things look now doesn't look like it will happen. But its definitely not going to happen if the basketball program is merely average or below, even if we could improve the football program to the level of a Temple.

I don't know how many times it has to be said before any UConn basketball only fans will believe it, but here it is yet again: NOBODY cares about BB in CR. We could win 50 more NC's in BB and it will not get us a P5 invite.

It's true that football doesn't necessarily have to be good, like Rutgers getting into the B10, but one of the big reasons we didn't get into the ACC was football. FSU and Clemson didn't want us because of football.

We may get into a P5 due to demographics and media markets like Rutgers did, but it will be necessary to at least have a FB team, and a competitive team would also help.

Reaction Score
I don't know how many times it has to be said before any UConn basketball only fans will believe it, but here it is yet again: NOBODY cares about BB in CR. We could win 50 more NC's in BB and it will not get us a P5 invite.

It's true that football doesn't necessarily have to be good, like Rutgers getting into the B10, but one of the big reasons we didn't get into the ACC was football. FSU and Clemson didn't want us because of football.

We may get into a P5 due to demographics and media markets like Rutgers did, but it will be necessary to at least have a FB team, and a competitive team would also help.

What are you trying to argue here?

This post is just some vaguely angry sentiments regarding football and P5’s

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn is just a former employer to her.
Well former and future, right? So "current" employer? Or maybe just "employer?"

Reaction Score

First of all ive been to all but 2 football games at the rent since 2006 and watch all the road games so i don't know where you are getting this BB only fan thing.

Secondly, you get in a p5 if you add value to the conference. Our football program is never going to do that. When we got left out of the ACC we had just been at our peak in football and were still considered an up and coming program, we still didn't get in. Maybe if we had started a 1-A football program 20-30 years earlier we would have had that type of program, but we didn't. Our future in the American, even if we decided to invest a lot more in football than we have been, was not going to get us to that level. Best case is we are competitive at football. And that we get in a p5 because a competitive football team is one part of the picture that includes things like location, brand, overall fanbase. For those last 2 having an elite basketball program is paramount. That adds some value. A dime a dozen non p5 football program does not add value on its own, its just something you need to have.

CL82

Reaction Score
Hmm, "north of $15M to leave early?" Unless that's all bowl, NCAA money, plus media rights, I feel like that is high.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If the p5 dream ever happens, its not going to be BECAUSE of football.

You do realize that "P5" is a football designation, don't you? It has nothing to do with any other sport but football. Every program in the "P5" conferences has a football program.

Reaction Score
You do realize that "P5" is a football designation, don't you? It has nothing to do with any other sport but football. Every program in the "P5" conferences has a football program.

So do we.

Husky25

Reaction Score
So do we.
I'm not sure what that means in context. Also, not positive you do either.

An institution needs a football program to realize the P5 dream. It quite literally happens BECAUSE of football.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what that means in context. Also, not positive you do either.

An institution needs a football program to realize the P5 dream. It quite literally happens BECAUSE of football.

Rutgers didn't get into the Big 10 because of football.

Obviously having a football team is a requirement. That was not the value they brought to the table

Husky25

Reaction Score
Rutgers didn't get into the Big 10 because of football.

Obviously having a football team is a requirement. That was not the value they brought to the table
So why didn't the Big Ten invite St. Johns?

I get what you are saying, but you are definitely not saying it correctly. Especially when you flip flop between which is more important: having a competent athletic program vs. position in media markets.

Reaction Score
I get what you are saying, but you are definitely not saying it correctly.

I disagree, but if so why are you nitpicking/putting words in my mouth lol? Clearly I am not saying we can go to a p5 conference if we don't have a football team and none of my posts implied that we could

Husky25

Reaction Score
I disagree, but if so why are you nitpicking/putting words in my mouth lol?
Obviously.

I'm nitpicking because it is easily misunderstood. It is misunderstood because of the part of my quote that you left off (...you flip flop between which is more important: having a competent athletic program vs. position in media markets.).

Reaction Score
Obviously.

I'm nitpicking because it is easily misunderstood. It is misunderstood because of the part of my quote that you left off (...you flip flop between which is more important: having a competent athletic program vs. position in media markets.).

Literally the next line in my original post said something like "We need to have a football program that is considered good enough" so to act like I'm saying we don't need a football program to go to a p5 conference is just not reading.

And i never took a stand on which is more important, whats important is adding value to a conference. What that value is has been different each time based on conference, timing, and the schools they are considering. But for UConn? If future expansion happens we need to hope its based more on other factors than the football program because a scenario where we get picked over the other contenders based on the quality of the football program isn't realistic. In which case, it makes sense to make a move to protect our other strengths.

CL82

Reaction Score
So why didn't the Big Ten invite St. Johns?

I get what you are saying, but you are definitely not saying it correctly. Especially when you flip flop between which is more important: having a competent athletic program vs. position in media markets.
Because the are academically inferior, not AAU, don't have much a following, none outside of the NYC DMA ... and they don't have a football team.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Literally the next line in my original post said something like "We need to have a football program that is considered good enough" so to act like I'm saying we don't need a football program to go to a p5 conference is just not reading.

And i never took a stand on which is more important, whats important is adding value to a conference. What that value is has been different each time based on conference, timing, and the schools they are considering. But for UConn? If future expansion happens we need to hope its based more on other factors than the football program because a scenario where we get picked over the other contenders based on the quality of the football program isn't realistic. In which case, it makes sense to make a move to protect our other strengths.

Most important has been demographics. Eyeballs. Each time. Even in the case of Louisville. Their invite didn't have so much to do with success on the court or field, or that UL held a bigger market share delivering more eyeballs, but that a current conference member convinced their contemporaries their own market should be considered larger than they were getting credit for.

Make no mistake, however, that UConn was under consideration each time "BECAUSE" they had a football program. Everything else is static on the line.

Husky25

Reaction Score
...they don't have a football team.
"Defense feels the prosecution failed to make their case."

Edit: Following doesn't matter so much as putting the B1G network on every cable system serving greater New York City. I used them merely to illustrate a point.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
"Defense feels the prosecution failed to make their case."
Au contraire, prosecution has provided multiple reasons why St John's would be an unfit partner. The defense's arbitrary focus on a single one conveniently ignores facts that are undisputed.

Hey I'm not disagreeing with you '25. I'm just saying there is an entire smorgasbord of reasons why St. John's wouldn't be chosen regardless of its football status.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Au contraire, prosecution has provided multiple reasons why St John's would be unfit partner. The defense's arbitrary focus on a single one conveniently ignores facts that are undisputed.

Hey I'm not disagreeing with you '25. I'm just saying the is entire smorgasbord of reasons why St. John's wouldn't chosen regardless of its football status.

Rutgers was not featured in Coming to America. No telling what the backing of Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall, John Amos, and Eric LaSalle would have done for them had they sponsored football.

C

Chief00

Just wondering did anyone complain about the AAC travel to the lobster fest in Newport?

Reaction Score
actually, mr edsall is the only one dressed appropriately. for newport. in july. dig the kicks.
eh, I guess it's further evidence that, in the end, the aac just didn't fit in new england. oh well, we tried. much as I wanted to believe, ya just can't teach some people to make a good clam fritter. or how to be comfortable wearing docksiders with no socks. or to luv eating bluefish.
I give up.

What's with the sport coat though? He looks like an 8 year old wearing his father's coat. It is almost comically ill fitting.

Reaction Score
Au contraire, prosecution has provided multiple reasons why St John's would be an unfit partner. The defense's arbitrary focus on a single one conveniently ignores facts that are undisputed.

Hey I'm not disagreeing with you '25. I'm just saying there is an entire smorgasbord of reasons why St. John's wouldn't be chosen regardless of its football status.
There are necessary conditions and there are other conditions. One necessary condition is a football team. Without that nothing else matters. A better example would be Georgetown. Excellent academic institution national prestige a gazillion B10 grads in DC. but the Hoyas will never be invited to the Big 10. They might check every box but miss the necessary condition of having a football team. (They have a nonscholarship 1aa one but that doesn’t make the grade).

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
What's with the sport coat though? He looks like an 8 year old wearing his father's coat. It is almost comically ill fitting.
(wasn't gonna do it, wasn't gonna say it, count to 10, 1,2,3,4,5,6...aaaaaaaargh, just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in again!) listen mac, if anyone around here is guilty of sartorial crimes recently, its niels giffey. there, I said it, and feel better, too. I mean the jacket is too dang short, the brown shoes are...are....ghastly, the pants are a scooch from being highwaters, and the color! oh, the color of that whole thing! that blooo looks like an escapee from prom night, circa 1986. hey niels, luv ya, but gladys knight and the pimps called, and they want their threads back....ummm, jes sayin...i'll go quietly now officer...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom