2019 & 2020 Regional Site Announced | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2019 & 2020 Regional Site Announced

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
If UConn is the overall #1 seed, then somebody is not going to play in their back yard.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
How about the first 2 rounds at Gampel?

Hosting the first two rounds at Gampel should not change, since UConn should again will be a #1 seed. We;re only talking about regionals here, the 2nd weekend of the three weekend tournament. :)

Reaction Score
In 2019 and 2020, the Oregon freshman will be juniors and seniors. I think they will make the regionals both years in Portland.

I'm not convinced SC will be a #1 seed level team in 2020 2 years post Wilson. I think UConn could end up there as the 1 in 2020.

SC will still have Ty Harris who would be a SR point guard and most likely an AA as well as Grissett, Williams, HH, and whichever top recruits we land in 2018 & 19. I think a #1 seed is certainly not out the question.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
You can bet the 2020 selections were motivated by having a Regional outside of the Northeast, since there were so many that complained UConn had too much of an advantage.
Are you implying that they haven't had an advantage when Bridgeport and Albany have hosted?

Reaction Score
Are you implying that they haven't had an advantage when Bridgeport and Albany have hosted?

Or Boston...or Philly...or Providence. Hell Lincoln for that matter. UConn always has an advantage. It's called superior coaching and better players.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Better than Stockton or Fresno? :rolleyes:

for west coast sites, Portland is ideal. While now it's not a drive from the Bay area (as is Stockton), Portland is a great city -- and no sales tax including meals! Plus it's just a few hours from Seattle so the fans from that area should attend easily -- plus if any of the OR schools are in that regional!

I'd have to agree with Gate81 for the reasons stated. There are not as many D1 schools in the Stockton or Fresno area as there is in Portland. Pacific and Fresno State are the two schools in these cities. Neither of them are a "hotbed" for WCBB, and neither is supported by the local fan base.

Personally I would love to see a WEST REGIONAL in Los Angeles. They could use the Staples Center, home of the Lakers, Clippers, Sparks and Kings. 19,060 seats for basketball games.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oh, poor Baylor will actually have to leave the state of Texas in '19 during the Tourney. Been a while since that happened.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Carnac, California has been hording the West Regional in the men's Tourney for as long as I can remember (and mostly alternating between LA and Anaheim; for the just announced 2019-2022 sites, California gets 3 of the 4 Regionals again). At least the women's Regional moves around a bit.

Reaction Score
Portland hosted in 2000. It got attendance of 4209 for the final. More than I would've guessed.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Finally the Carolina's get some regional love. Hopefully Dawn won't get sent to Oregon in 19 or 20. As for UConn in 19 and 20, let the WCBB revenge tour begin.

With SC, Duke and UNC.. too many good WBB schools in the Carolina's for them to continue being ignored. Not even including the LV's nearby in Tennessee... and FSU not far away either. It just makes too much sense.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Two things

1) 2019 .... Columbia is hosting the men's 1st and 2nd round games..... so unless South Carolina uses the old Carolina Coliseum ..... they will be playing on the road in the opening rounds.

2) There is a big orange elephant in the room.... that might prevent South Carolina from playing in nearby regionals in 2019/20. A Ugly Orange Elephant at that :cool:

I wrote this earlier in another thread

Back to back Regionals in Portland..... shows what I know :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

This is no longer an option, the old Coliseum is currently being renovated into a practice facility for Men's and Women's basketball.

Our AD mentioned a solution where he would seek a waiver to allow the women's team to play within the state if this issue even comes up...

Reaction Score
With SC, Duke and UNC.. too many good WBB schools in the Carolina's for them to continue being ignored. Not even including the LV's nearby in Tennessee... and FSU not far away either. It just makes too much sense.

Exactly..... I just hope our ladies do their part and get a #1 seed in both Greensboro and Greenville.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
SC will still have Ty Harris who would be a SR point guard and most likely an AA as well as Grissett, Williams, HH, and whichever top recruits we land in 2018 & 19. I think a #1 seed is certainly not out the question.

Don't forget Destanni Henderson, who's already committed and currently in the top 10 for 2018. And SC is in great position with a lot of very good 2018 players out there.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Oh, poor Baylor will actually have to leave the state of Texas in '19 during the Tourney. Been a while since that happened.

Yeah..... about 1 month.... they played in OKC in March ;)

Finally the Carolina's get some regional love. Hopefully Dawn won't get sent to Oregon in 19 or 20. As for UConn in 19 and 20, let the WCBB revenge tour begin.

Regionals in NC.... and the #1 seeds ...... 1999 (TN), 2002 (Duke), 2007 (Duke), 2008 (UCONN), 2009 (MARYLAND), 2012 (ND), 2015 (South Carolina), and 2019. Its not that rare..... first time for SC though

Reaction Score
When you win 111 games in a row, it doesn't really matter where you play. When was the last time the Final Four was held in Connecticut or anywhere near Connecticut? Eleven and zero in championship games. UConn does travel well.

Reaction Score
In 2019 and 2020, the Oregon freshman will be juniors and seniors. I think they will make the regionals both years in Portland.

I'm not convinced SC will be a #1 seed level team in 2020 2 years post Wilson. I think UConn could end up there as the 1 in 2020.

I sure hope so! I only live half hour away from the Greenville site:D

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
In 2020 if UConn ends up as the Overall #1 Seed based on Mileage, they should be assigned to Fort Wayne Indiana.

861 Miles from Storrs to Greenville and 773 Miles to Fort Wayne.

However, I would bet UConn would get sent to Portland Oregon instead. Projecting Notre Dame will also be a #1 seed.

You can bet the 2020 selections were motivated by having a Regional outside of the Northeast, since there were so many that complained UConn had too much of an advantage.

Is it gonna hurt UCONN to get on a plane in the month of March? :rolleyes: Thats happened what .. like....3 times in the past 15 years or so? (not counting trips to the final 4)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This is no longer an option, the old Coliseum is currently being renovated into a practice facility for Men's and Women's basketball.

Our AD mentioned a solution where he would seek a waiver to allow the women's team to play within the state if this issue even comes up...

Plenty of places to choose from..... Greenville....... North Charleston... heck........ even Rock Hill.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom