2019-2020 AAC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2019-2020 AAC

Reaction Score
One thing that hasn't been talked about is that all these Memphis kids are going to eligible and get thru the Ncaa clearing house. Time will tell. I don't see Memphis as being a "favored son" when it comes to Ncaa matters.

Reaction Score
Sam Mitchell has left the Memphis staff. He was the X and Os guy. Will be interesting who Penny brings in.
People have Memphis in their top 5. I know they're in our conference and we should be rooting for the rise of the conference but I kind of can't wait to watch this blowup.

C

Chief00

People have Memphis in their top 5. I know they're in our conference and we should be rooting for the rise of the conference but I kind of can't wait to watch this blowup.
That certainly could happen. But, part of me loves what Memphis has done. They cleared their rooster to bring in talent and went out and got it without the impediment of any meaningful academic standards. To some here, this may not be pretty but it seems to be elevating the conference respect wise.

Reaction Score
Cincy added much needed depth to their backcourt:

Chris McNeal: 6'1 grad transfer last played D1 for New Mexico and averaged 9.6p/1.8r/2.8a.
Nika Adams-Woods: #235 '19 prospect 6'3 lefty with a 6'7 wingspan.

My guess is Cumberland will start at PG, but both of these guys can get major minutes if the team decides to go small and go with Scott/Williams/Moore/Cumberland as their starting 5 through 2.

Reaction Score
Does this mean Cumberland’s cousin or whatever isn’t going there? Is he really good?

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Does this mean Cumberland’s cousin or whatever isn’t going there? Is he really good?
He averaged 17 points on 40% 3PT shooting (nearly 8 attempts a game) at Oakland. He seems pretty good to me. Rumors are are decision is coming very soon.

and here it is....
Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He averaged 17 points on 40% 3PT shooting (nearly 8 attempts a game) at Oakland. He seems pretty good to me. Rumors are are decision is coming very soon.
The other Cumberland committed an hour ago and he darn well could end up being their starting PG along his cousin at the 2.

Wow, what a month for Cincy.

After firing Cronin, losing Brooks/Nsoseme/Fredericks/Johnson to transfers, losing their best freshman recruit to Nebraska, the uncertainty of NBA prospects for Cumberland, they end up making a good hire in Brannen, keep Cumberland and attract his cousin, sign a solid guard freshman and get two other good depth grad transfer pieces.

Talk about a quick rebound.

Reaction Score
Knowing a little bit about how John Brannen coaches, they are going to be very hard to handle if everybody is healthy and available. They'll be difficult to outscore. HIs cousin is a different player, but he's got some serious range. My guess is they go small and let it fly. I think the one thing that's hard to determine is they had a number of kids redshirt last year. If they get any kind of contribution from them my guess is they are up near the top. I'll be convinced of Hardaway's ability to coach once i see it live, and all the diaper dandies are eligible.

Reaction Score
This was on NOLA, the local newspaper about Tulane. Lot of new guys, not sure how much better but at least trying to do something. Went to one Tulane home game last year and a big problem was not enough good shooters.

Tulane new players for basketball.

C

Chief00

Chief tells the guys, worry about what you do, if you take care of your own business - you will also take care of your opponents.

Reaction Score
Wow, what a month for Cincy.

After firing Cronin, losing Brooks/Nsoseme/Fredericks/Johnson to transfers, losing their best freshman recruit to Nebraska, the uncertainty of NBA prospects for Cumberland, they end up making a good hire in Brannen, keep Cumberland and attract his cousin, sign a solid guard freshman and get two other good depth grad transfer pieces.

Talk about a quick rebound.

He actually ended up with 2 freshman recruits which considering what he inherited is pretty good work. The kid who he landed is a small forward, Jeramiah Davenport, who played on the state champ. team with Jaxson Hayes who was just a first round draft pic as a frosh out of Texas. He spent a year at Hargrave. For a guy who was coming out of the Horizon league and didn't hire anyone's dad or guardian as an assistant, he did a heck of a job. Other frosh:

Hidden gem?
Davenport always believed he could succeed at a higher level of Division I. With his 2018 teammates Hayes and McBride going, he feels he has something to prove to those who discounted his future abilities. He also adds he has grown and may be closer to the 6-foot-7 Hargrave Military Academy listed him, than the 6-foot-5 he was at Moeller.
"In my opinion and even as great as Jaxson is now, in that senior year Jeremiah was the best player in Southwest Ohio, if not the state," Kremer said. "He had a brilliant senior year for us. He's worked really hard. He's had a dream to be a high-level Division I player and he's going to get that chance."
At Hargrave, the Tigers went 35-3 and scored more than 100 points 25 times, including 173 against Bristol Prep March 1. Among familiar Hargrave products are David West and Jordan Crawford of Xavier, Tony Bobbitt and James White of UC and Joe Alexander of West Virginia.
Obviously, the style of play was different than Moeller, just as Brannen's system at UC is likely to differ from Mick Cronin's.
"It got me prepared for the next level," Davenport said. "Coach Brannen is a good guy. I like his image. He really cares for his players. He's excited to get to work and me too. That's a deadly combination."
Because of his dunking abilities, some have compared his game to current Bearcat Keith Williams. While a compliment, Davenport has his own answers for those that haven't seen him hit those dunks.
"I don't really look into that," he said. "I'm Jeremiah Davenport and I'll always be Jeremiah Davenport. If my game is like his, my game is. But, I know my game is like my game. This is my chance to show everybody what they were missing on. I have so much belief in myself and Coach B. They (other coaches) aren't going to necessarily regret, but they're going to hear about me for sure. Patience pays off. I've found my new home. Bearcat Nation."

Reaction Score
Practice video from Tulane. Ron Hunter has done a pretty solid makeover in his first couple months on the job. I believe KJ Lawson is in the video.

Reaction Score
Another great example of a quick turnaround with Hunter and Tulane. Impressive trio of grad transfers, a diverse group of freshman coming in and If I'm Hunter, I'd ignore their lunky bigs and go with Lawson at the 5 and play a more starting athletic lineup:

Kevin Zhang 6'9 215 SO: A classic stretch four. Averaged 6.5p, 2.4r but only a 29.5 3P% with 2.9 attempts/game.

Christion Thompson 6'4 190 GTR: A spunky 3rd guard who averaged 5.7p, 3.5r, 1.3 steals per game. Poor shooter

KJ Lawson 6'8 210 GTR: Barely played for Kansas, but averaged 12.3p, 8.1r, 2.8a in his last season at Memphis. Again not a good shooter.

Nic Thomas 6'2 185 GTR: A very good outside shooter (39.4 3P% and 6.4 attempts/game). Averaged 14.3p, 3.3r and 1.6a in 30 minutes/game for Norfolk State. Should see similar minutes for Tulane.

Ray Ona Embo 6'5 195 JR: Oversized-PG missed last year with injury. Averaged 10.1p, 3.2r, 3.3a and a decent shooter with a 36.5 3P%.

Guard depth: Jordan Walker (former #181 recruit for Seton Hall), Charlie Russell (unranked recruit)
Wing depth: Nobal Days (#324 recruit), Tylan Pope (unranked), RJ McGee (unranked)
Big depth: Buj Ajang, Buay Koka: Big guys, but very raw.

I mean, overall this team should be better than last year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are still in last place in the AAC. At the very least, should be a good rebuilding year for Hunter.

Reaction Score
Solid transfer pickup from for SMU.

Kendric Davis from TCU. The former #152 prospect of '18 averaged 6.3p, 2.0a in his freshman season at TCU. Will sit one, but play three.

Reaction Score
Lol at everyone thinking SMU will be in the bottom 3. All schollys back for first time in years. Jank has surprisingly hauled in a decent class (good transfers). They will make some noise hopefully.

And the Kendric Davis pickup is huge...he was going to start next yr for the Froggies

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Lol at everyone thinking SMU will be in the bottom 3. All schollys back for first time in years. Jank has surprisingly hauled in a decent class (good transfers). They will make some noise hopefully.

And the Kendric Davis pickup is huge...he was going to start next yr for the Froggies

Do you like Jank or want him gone?

Reaction Score
Do you like Jank or want him gone?
I think about 90% of the fanbase wanted him gone last year. The decline was so visible. Lazy recruiting ultimately pissed off everyone. If he struggles this year with this roster then he will be hearing it.

Reaction Score
- Gregg Marshall added a nice class to the young foundation he built last year. This is Wichita State's most talented team ever. Sherfield and Etienne will be fun 4 year players to watch develop.
- Houston could be even stronger again with Jarreau moving into the starting lineup for Davis.
- Ron Hunter just added KJ Lawson and Christion Thompson to go with every meaningful player Dunleavy had except Daniels. He's waiting on Daniels now.
- Tulsa had a surprisingly decent offseason. Getting Ugboh was big for them.
- Dawkins loaded up on bigs at UCF (including the kid who left TCU). The Knights may take the preseason to gell but they'll be a tough out.
- I really like Aaron McKie at Temple. Landing Strickland (Wisconsin) and Forrester (Indiana) as well as Josh Pierre-Louis was a great start to his tenure.
- Jankovich has had a productive recruiting cycle for SMU as well. Jolly was big, as was getting Charles Smith IV and Darius McNeill from Cal.
- ECU got a lot bigger and a lot more athletic in Dooley's second year. He went heavy Juco for the measurables, so that team can take the pre-season before we see how they compliment Jayden Garner and Williams.
- Cincinnati was a consensus Top 25 team before Cronin left. Most of the intrigue surrounding them centers on Cumberland returning. They lost Brooks but have the other Mamadou to take his place. Brannen has a good core to work with but is on his grind as well.
- USF adds Zack Dawson to what should be a tournament contender next year. They were young last year, so we should see a nice jump from Yetna, Collins, etc.
- Memphis is good.
- UConn is on its grind.
Lol, where to start? Wichita State's most talented team ever. Ugboh at Tulsa!

Reaction Score
We should definitely go back to the Big East. 4 reasons
1. It is easier
2. MSG
3. MSG
4. We get to play St Johns at MSG.

This league is getting good and we need to improve dramatically to keep up with the likes of Wichita State Cincinatti and Memphis. Ad that you could get a plant admitted to Memphis and life will be tough unless Hurley proves equal to his rep.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom