2018 World Series: Los Angeles vs. Boston | The Boneyard

2018 World Series: Los Angeles vs. Boston

Reaction Score
Figured we could spike out conversation about the World Series into a new thread instead of a "Jackie Bradley" thread.

Here's the schedule, with all games on FOX:

Tues, 10/23: LA @ Boston - 8:09pm
Wed, 10/24: LA @ Boston - 8:09pm
Fri, 10/26: Boston @ LA - 8:09pm
Sat, 10/27: Boston @ LA 8:09pm
Sun, 10/28: Boston @ LA 8:15pm (if necessary)
Tues, 10/30: LA @ Boston: 8:09pm (if necessary)
Wed, 10/31: LA @ Boston: 8:09pm (if necessary)

Pitching matchups for first 4 games -
Kershaw vs. Sale
Ryu vs. Price
Porcello vs. Buehler
Eovaldi vs. Hill

"Potential" starting lineups for game 1 (both teams facing lefties)

LA
Taylor LF
Turner 3B
Freese 1B
Machado SS
Kemp D.H.
Dozier 2B
Bellinger CF
Puig RF
Barnes C

Boston
Betts RF
Benintendi LF
Martinez D.H.
Bogaerts SS
Pearce 1B
Nunez 3B
Kinsler 2B
Leon C
Bradley Jr CF

LOS ANGELES RANKS
OFFENSE: RUNS 804 (5th); HR 235 (2nd); SB 75 (17th)
STARTING PITCHING - 3.19 (2nd in MLB)
RELIEF PITCHING - 3.72 (8th in MLB)

BOSTON RANKS
OFFENSE: RUNS 876 (1st); HR 208 (9th); SB 125 (3rd)
STARTING PITCHING - 3.77 (8th in MLB)
RELIEF PITCHING - 3.74 (9th in MLB)

Game time weather for first four games at start time:

Game 1 - 50 degrees, 15% chance of showers (Boston)
Game 2 - 46 degrees, clear (Boston)
Game 3 - 72 degrees, clear (Los Angeles)
Game 4 - 72 degrees, clear (Los Angeles)

Discuss....

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My expectation, once it shifts to LA, is that Mookie moves to second base, Martinez to LF, and Benny to either RF or CF (with JBJ covering left). Not sure where you most need JBJ in Dodger Stadium, I haven't been there since 1998. Alternatively, JBJ will sit a game or two, especially with so many lefty pitchers. Mookie and JD won't miss any games. JD is not a liability in the field as Ortiz was.

Dodgers are a weird team, on paper they should have won a lot more games than they did. Should be a very competitive series.

Reaction Score
My expectation, once it shifts to LA, is that Mookie moves to second base, Martinez to LF, and Benny to either RF or CF (with JBJ covering left). Not sure where you most need JBJ in Dodger Stadium, I haven't been there since 1998. Alternatively, JBJ will sit a game or two, especially with so many lefty pitchers. Mookie and JD won't miss any games. JD is not a liability in the field as Ortiz was.

Dodgers are a weird team, on paper they should have won a lot more games than they did. Should be a very competitive series.

Why wouldn't JD Martinez play 1B has he ever played 1B before.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Reports are that Mookie was taking grounders at 2nd yesterday.

J.D. has not played 1st, though I recall rumblings that he could in a pinch when Hanley was still on the team.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

J.D. has not played 1st, though I recall rumblings that he could in a pinch when Hanley was still on the team.

I read that Mookie not only took grounders, but practiced double plays. Its not unusual for him to take grounders in the infield, but its unusual to practice turning double plays. Cora will see how it goes day by day, and will decide if he'll play 2nd in LA ....

Husky25

Reaction Score
I read that Mookie not only took grounders, but practiced double plays. Its not unusual for him to take grounders in the infield, but its unusual to practice turning double plays. Cora will see how it goes day by day, and will decide if he'll play 2nd in LA ....

IIRC, He played 2nd until he got to Pawtucket.

Reaction Score
IIRC, He played 2nd until he got to Pawtucket.

By the time he was brought up to the bigs for good, he had played over 250 games at 2B and less than 100 in the OF.

Reaction Score

I think it would be a big mistake to put JD on first base. First base is a critical position for infield defense. Just look at what Steve Pearce has done. With JD on first, all the infield positions are suddenly weaker. The best way to get him in the lineup is in the outfield with one of the other three sitting until we get the lead.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think it would be a big mistake to put JD on first base. First base is a critical position for infield defense. Just look at what Steve Pearce has done. With JD on first, all the infield positions are suddenly weaker. The best way to get him in the lineup is in the outfield with one of the other three sitting until we get the lead.
Agreed. I was just commenting on if he had or had not in the past. J.D. is a corner outfielder (though primarily in right), but he is best utilized as a Danny-esignated Hurley-itter. Regarding your Pearce comment...and Moreland is supposed to be defensively superior. With Moreland health, that might turn into a straight platoon, but it's a good problem to have in the National League park.

The only scenario I can envision either him or Mookie sitting out at all in this series is if they are behind by a run late and J.D. is lifted for a pinch runner with wheels.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Yep. Seattle was 1st in actual wins over expected wins, BOS was 2nd, Dodgers were 30th - underperformed by a dozen games.

However, that also implies that LAD may be due for a positive regression and BOS a negative one. And all sorts of things can happen in a seven game series. LA's lineup is every bit as scary as Sox'. Outside Kershaw I'm not a huge fan of LAD pitching, but they neutered Yelich and thus the Brewers. Roberts made a number of nifty moves in the LCS.

I'm going LAD in six.

Reaction Score
As a Yankees fan, now would be a great time for a new labor dispute and strike :cool:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'd be absolutely shocked if the Dodgers win a single game in this series. They ran roughshod through the 2nd and 3rd best teams in baseball without much resistance at all. The only (slim) chance the Dodgers have at a win would be Game 3 with Buehler. There's just way too much swing-and-miss in the Dodger lineup for Sox pitching to feast on. The Dodger pen is atrocious before Jansen pops out and if Roberts holds him back for save situations, we might not even see Jansen at all during the entire Series.

As much as I'd hate to see it, I really do think the Sox will sweep. They've been the best team in baseball all year and have a manager who is pushing all the right buttons. Very hard to envision the Dodgers stealing any games.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'd be absolutely shocked if the Dodgers win a single game in this series. They ran roughshod through the 2nd and 3rd best teams in baseball without much resistance at all. The only (slim) chance the Dodgers have at a win would be Game 3 with Buehler. There's just way too much swing-and-miss in the Dodger lineup for Sox pitching to feast on. The Dodger pen is atrocious before Jansen pops out and if Roberts holds him back for save situations, we might not even see Jansen at all during the entire Series.

As much as I'd hate to see it, I really do think the Sox will sweep. They've been the best team in baseball all year and have a manager who is pushing all the right buttons. Very hard to envision the Dodgers stealing any games.

Still don't have any real inkling of what Sale will be worth tonight. As I said back in April, I've been a Sox fan for far too long to count chickens.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Figured we could spike out conversation about the World Series into a new thread instead of a "Jackie Bradley" thread.

Here's the schedule, with all games on FOX:

Tues, 10/23: LA @ Boston - 8:09pm
Wed, 10/24: LA @ Boston - 8:09pm
Fri, 10/26: Boston @ LA - 8:09pm
Sat, 10/27: Boston @ LA 8:09pm
Sun, 10/28: Boston @ LA 8:15pm (if necessary)
Tues, 10/30: LA @ Boston: 8:09pm (if necessary)
Wed, 10/31: LA @ Boston: 8:09pm (if necessary)

Pitching matchups for first 4 games -
Kershaw vs. Sale
Ryu vs. Price
Porcello vs. Buehler
Eovaldi vs. Hill

"Potential" starting lineups for game 1 (both teams facing lefties)

LA
Taylor LF
Turner 3B
Freese 1B
Machado SS
Kemp D.H.
Dozier 2B
Bellinger CF
Puig RF
Barnes C

Boston
Betts RF
Benintendi LF
Martinez D.H.
Bogaerts SS
Pearce 1B
Nunez 3B
Kinsler 2B
Leon C
Bradley Jr CF

LOS ANGELES RANKS
OFFENSE: RUNS 804 (5th); HR 235 (2nd); SB 75 (17th)
STARTING PITCHING - 3.19 (2nd in MLB)
RELIEF PITCHING - 3.72 (8th in MLB)

BOSTON RANKS
OFFENSE: RUNS 876 (1st); HR 208 (9th); SB 125 (3rd)
STARTING PITCHING - 3.77 (8th in MLB)
RELIEF PITCHING - 3.74 (9th in MLB)

Game time weather for first four games at start time:

Game 1 - 50 degrees, 15% chance of showers (Boston)
Game 2 - 46 degrees, clear (Boston)
Game 3 - 72 degrees, clear (Los Angeles)
Game 4 - 72 degrees, clear (Los Angeles)

Discuss....
We should all move to LA for the weather alone.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Still don't have any real inkling of what Sale will be worth tonight. As I said back in April, I've been a Sox fan for far too long to count chicken.

I just don't see LA going into frigid Fenway and winning a game. Even if Sale can't give QS innings, I think Kershaw comes with questions about his own postseason struggles. Against the Sox lineup and in that ballpark, he can't miss with any pitch on any count. The Sox lineup is so good, they'll likely drive his pitch count up to 70s or 80s by the B5. That gives them a few innings to tee off on that trash pen of theirs.

Reaction Score
That wasnt predictable at all. Sox will sweep the Dodgers dont know whats hit them, AL dominance over the NL.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought Nunez couldn't hit? And maybe Kimbrell was tipping his pitches.

Reaction Score
Regarding why Timmons is behind the plate despite being awful at calling balls and strikes - he’s in a union.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I am a Dodger fan, and I agree with you. The only drama is whether the Sox sweep or not. Sweeping a Series is hard but the Red Sox are so superior a team, so I put it at 50/50 that the Sox sweep.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I am a Dodger fan, and I agree with you. The only drama is whether the Sox sweep or not. Sweeping a Series is hard but the Red Sox are so superior a team, so I put it at 50/50 that the Sox sweep.

Agree. Nothing against the Dodgers - they've had a very good season. The Sox have had one of those years where everything has come together perfectly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom