2018 World Cup Draw | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2018 World Cup Draw

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You'd have to read it, it's really quite a good read. It's not so much about soccer as it is about general athletics/sports, particularly in the US. I'm sure culture plays a huge part (e.g. USA), but this book discusses another part, biology. I realize it's "taboo" to talk about it, hence the title of the book. You just have to open up your mind a little, get beyond the taboo of it. Or don't.

It's not about opening up my mind. I'm a scientist by trade; I literally have to allow for all the possibilities of nature every day that I go into work. I'm not even bothered by the "taboo" part of it, and I'm even willing to bring up something a little more taboo by saying part of the soccer issue for some of the African countries is religion (however, I'll let you figure out which one and why). It's about the fact that this eugenic argument has been proven wrong time and again.

Some people said, "Well short people can't play soccer well." Then Italy and Argentina go out and win World Cups.
Some people said, "Well tall, whiter people can't play soccer well." Then Germany and England go out and win World Cups.
Some people said, "Oh okay, well black people can't play soccer well." But Brazil typically has a lot of black players or with at least part African descent, i.e. Pele, and they go out and win World Cups.
Some people said, "Oh, gotcha, well Asian people can't play soccer well." But South Korea has qualified for the last 9 consecutive World Cups (yes, against primarily other Asians) and has made it as high as 4th place; a feat that the United States with all of it's tall, African, Italian, German ancestry has yet to achieve since 1930 when there were only 13 countries in the tourney to begin with!

There is a plethora of data to support the fact that it's utter nonsense. Like Occam's razor, stick with the most obvious answers: Soccer culture breeds soccer teams...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's not about opening up my mind. I'm a scientist by trade; I literally have to allow for all the possibilities of nature every day that I go into work. I'm not even bothered by the "taboo" part of it, and I'm even willing to bring up something a little more taboo by saying part of the soccer issue for some of the African countries is religion (however, I'll let you figure out which one and why). It's about the fact that this eugenic argument has been proven wrong time and again.

Some people said, "Well short people can't play soccer well." Then Italy and Argentina go out and win World Cups.
Some people said, "Well tall, whiter people can't play soccer well." Then Germany and England go out and win World Cups.
Some people said, "Oh okay, well black people can't play soccer well." But Brazil typically has a lot of black players or with at least part African descent, i.e. Pele, and they go out and win World Cups.
Some people said, "Oh, gotcha, well Asian people can't play soccer well." But South Korea has qualified for the last 9 consecutive World Cups (yes, against primarily other Asians) and has made it as high as 4th place; a feat that the United States with all of it's tall, African, Italian, German ancestry has yet to achieve since 1930 when there were only 13 countries in the tourney to begin with!

There is a plethora of data to support the fact that it's utter nonsense. Like Occam's razor, stick with the most obvious answers: Soccer culture breeds soccer teams...
Almost all of those have nothing to do with the book, EXCEPT

A pretty good percentage the black people who do go out and play soccer well have descended from West Africa as opposed to East Africa (in the Americas due heavily to the slave trade). Hence when you brought up the East/West thing, I thought you might be interested in the book. Though again, it's not specifically about soccer. You seem to have a theory about East/West as opposed to North/South. This is just some information that might pertain to your theory if you were interested.

It's not really an open mind if you have pooh-poohed it without even taking a look at it. When I first saw the book, I kinda thought, hmmm now what's this about? But as I read it, it was pretty well thought out. But like I said, just offering you up some information. Take it or leave it.

As an aside, S. Korea's 2002 run was pretty suspect from a referring involvement point of view. And yes USA's 1930 run was mostly due to lack of European teams. So yea, neither team has done much.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Almost all of those have nothing to do with the book, EXCEPT

A pretty good percentage the black people who do go out and play soccer well have descended from West Africa as opposed to East Africa (in the Americas due heavily to the slave trade). Hence when you brought up the East/West thing, I thought you might be interested in the book. Though again, it's not specifically about soccer. You seem to have a theory about East/West as opposed to North/South. This is just some information that might pertain to your theory if you were interested.

It's not really an open mind if you have pooh-poohed it without even taking a look at it. When I first saw the book, I kinda thought, hmmm now what's this about? But as I read it, it was pretty well thought out. But like I said, just offering you up some information. Take it or leave it.

As an aside, S. Korea's 2002 run was pretty suspect from a referring involvement point of view. And yes USA's 1930 run was mostly due to lack of European teams. So yea, neither team has done much.

I'm not poo-pooing the book. I'm poo-pooing your synopsis of the book. There is overwhelming data out there to suggest that your synopsis of the book is just plain wrong. This is not a personal attack on you, so don't take it as such.

I've already suggested many reasons why the East / West African disparity exists. Nobody appears to want to talk about those. I'm not taking that personally, either...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm not poo-pooing the book. I'm poo-pooing your synopsis of the book.
Ok I may not be doing it complete justice, but I'm not that far off (granted it's been awhile since I read it). So yea, your pooh-poohing the book. Or at least the information in there, considering your theory.

There is overwhelming data out there to suggest that your synopsis of the book is just plain wrong.
I've yet to see any. And you've yet to produce any.

I've already suggested many reasons why the East / West African disparity exists. Nobody appears to want to talk about those. I'm not taking that personally, either...
I'm just adding in a reason. I don't think any of them are probably wrong. I think they all play into it.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Ok I may not be doing it complete justice, but I'm not that far off (granted it's been awhile since I read it). So yea, your pooh-poohing the book. Or at least the information in there, considering your theory.

I've yet to see any. And you've yet to produce any.

I'm just adding in a reason. I don't think any of them are probably wrong. I think they all play into it.

Of course I've provided data. I've shown that countries which border each other and have extremely similar biological make-ups have wildly different soccer prowess.

I've also shown that countries with wildly different biological make-ups have had similar soccer prowess, in every region of the planet.

Essentially, I've provided you with about 90 years of evidence to the contrary. Do with it what you please...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Of course I've provided data. I've shown that countries which border each other and have extremely similar biological make-ups have wildly different soccer prowess.

I've also shown that countries with wildly different biological make-ups have had similar soccer prowess, in every region of the planet.

Essentially, I've provided you with about 90 years of evidence to the contrary. Do with it what you please...
My apologies for trying to help you out. I won't do it again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom