2018 Uconn list of improvements | The Boneyard

2018 Uconn list of improvements

Reaction Score
Things that need to be improved on next year: Defense
  • Defensive Backs need to improve on tackling and getting out of their breaks quicker, because they are slow getting out of their breaks and giving receivers time to gain a lot of yards
  • Defensive Backs also need to stop playing soft coverage... There is no reason from them to be lined up 7-9 yards away from the receivers, I rather they play 5 yards away from them or even closer to jam, we need dbs that are aggressive but also can keep up with their man
  • We need hybrid linebackers, Edsall is probably fixing that. Turn some hard hitting safeties into linebackers, adds speed to the defense and helps against the run and also pass if they can cover.
  • Linebackers blitz way to far off the line and look slow blitzing even worse, is when they do a delay blitz it seems like they take forever get there. I see it being fixed with getting a linebackers that have a high motor and a drive to be everywhere
  • WAY TOO MANY MISSED TACKLES, I do not know if it is the players inability to make a tackle or the coaches teaching them bad technique/fundamentals on how to tackle and wrap up... Another thing is the COACHES need to tell the players to all run to the ball, too many times I have seen players just waiting for someone to finish the tackle.
  • Dline honestly needs more depth, it would be nice to have a true NT and hybrid DE's that can also play outside linebackers. Sometimes players that played DE in college get move to outside linebacker in the NFL and do well occasionally.
  • The culture of the defense needs to change as a whole unit, they need to have a nasty attitude, but also a humble spirit and play with heart. This defense seemed to lack the attitude and only a few players showed up and played with nasty attitude and heart, but it needs to be everyone as a whole.

Things that need to be improved on next year: Offense
  • I feel like the offense did pretty well this year, they moved the ball pretty well but it will only get better with a better oline and blocking from receivers.
  • Quarterback will be interesting next year on who starts, Pindell is raw and still in the learning process of things. He needs to have better vision and instead of always scrambling, he needs to learn how to step up when there is pressure and while staying in the pocket. Saw glimpse's of that, but needs to be improved greatly. He has happy feet and his first instinct is to run the ball, he needs to work on getting the ball out quicker to his receivers, but then again who knows who will be qb next year for sure.
  • Runningbacks are just going to get better with a better oline, it seems Mensah and Hopkins do not really have the play making abilities to basically make people miss and create their own holes. Better oline = them doing very well. If we get a runningback that is elusive and also a power runner with vision, with a better oline.. that translates to us being unstoppable on the run.
  • Receivers is pretty straight forward, they need to be better at blocking, route running and also helping out the qb make plays by getting open if the play breaks down
  • Offense needs to be faster, stronger and smarter.
I think the next two recruiting classes will improve on many areas and bring a lot of fans back to watching RE 2.0 make the program better than what he did when he was here

Reaction Score
I'll add...

Score more than just 14 pts + end of game garbage points in the red zone.

Players not give up on play's.

The best QB UConn football has ever had.

Speed and the ability to make a tackle on defense.

Reaction Score
One fix.... not an easy one:

Talent. Pure and simple the team needs more players with legit D1 starter ability.

Reaction Score
A new D.C. that imposes a hard nosed culture.

Recruit football players with football instincts not track stars.

Recruit some true DLineman.

Let Lashlee be Lashlee not Lashlee on an RE leash.

Reaction Score
Recruiting better players. When the current players (save for the red shirts, who we haven't seen) would not be offered scholarships to play at UConn, then and only then will UConn get better. And, kf they are offended by tbis comment, then play better.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It looks like we have a decent group of skill position players that we can do some damage with, although we could always use more of them. The biggest needs are in the trenches.

On OL, hopefully time is the best cure there. Peart, Van Demark, DeGeorge, Leone, and all of the redshirt freshmen get another year to get bigger, stronger, faster.
On DL, time will help for a couple of the players (Murphy, Thomas, etc.), but...we need some help there big time.

Hopefully, all of the burn that the youngsters got this year, especially in the secondary, will pay dividends next year...

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The next steps are as follows:

Offense

1. OL gets nasty. That will happen with more stength and time.
2. Develop QB

Defense

Develop a D line with impact players
Develop LB with impact ability
Growth and Maturation of the DB.

Overall- we need much more depth

Kicking game

Graham was inconsistent to poor. That position has to be better by default next year. Tarbutt the same- I think he will be much better and so will special teams.

Reaction Score
It’s 3-4 years to make this program competitive in the AAC.
Bulls***t. We shot ourselves in the foot in several games including today. It won't take us as long as CCSU to be competitive in our league as they took with Rossomando who had to deal with a total rebuild. Although we were tough to watch at times there were other teams in our league just like us going thru growing pains. We could've easily ended up 5-7 in year 1 of a new coaching regime. To me, that speaks volumes.
Don't be surprised if we end up in a bowl game next year. I won't.

Reaction Score
It looks like we have a decent group of skill position players that we can do some damage with, although we could always use more of them. The biggest needs are in the trenches.

On OL, hopefully time is the best cure there. Peart, Van Demark, DeGeorge, Leone, and all of the redshirt freshmen get another year to get bigger, stronger, faster.
On DL, time will help for a couple of the players (Murphy, Thomas, etc.), but...we need some help there big time.

Hopefully, all of the burn that the youngsters got this year, especially in the secondary, will pay dividends next year...
This. We gotta get better push in the trenches. We're not good enough there. You could see it on all the games we got the snot beaten out of us in the 2nd half of games. Not nearly enough depth.

Reaction Score
One thing we should mention is our return games. We walk always had a threat that would return a punt or a kick for a TD.

Reaction Score
In the end, after all the hype, Uconn did not improve at all over last year. Identical 3-9 records and in some cases, even worse loses to some of the teams this year...yay.

Reaction Score
In the end, after all the hype, Uconn did not improve at all over last year. Identical 3-9 records and in some cases, even worse loses to some of the teams this year...yay.
The team was markedly better than last year just not good enough to make a real difference in outcome. O is much better. The D is a flaming disaster and offset any improvement on the otherside of the ball.

C

Chief00

I am really skeptical how much longer the Lashlee/Edsall relationship will last. No inside Chief CONFIRMED special information, just a gut feeling based on a couple observations.

Reaction Score
Bulls***t. We shot ourselves in the foot in several games including today. It won't take us as long as CCSU to be competitive in our league as they took with Rossomando who had to deal with a total rebuild. Although we were tough to watch at times there were other teams in our league just like us going thru growing pains. We could've easily ended up 5-7 in year 1 of a new coaching regime. To me, that speaks volumes.
Don't be surprised if we end up in a bowl game next year. I won't.
Yeah, my thoughts too. Could easily have won 5 this year. Which means getting to six with an easier schedule should not be that long a putt. Yes, when you go down the roster position by position things look a little iffy, especially on D. But I suspect this is always the situation. If they don't get to 5-6 wins it would be a disappointment.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Not sure what this means. The offensive line was woefully undermanned and outmuscled. The right tackle is 265 lbs for crying out loud. That is light for a triple option offense in 1976.

In his year at the helm of Auburn's offense, Lashlee called more runs than passes. The offenses performance had more to do with personnel, IMO, than any perceived Edsall leash.

Reaction Score
I am really skeptical how much longer the Lashlee/Edsall relationship will last. No inside Chief CONFIRMED special information, just a gut feeling based on a couple observations.
Can't see Lashlee hanging around to have his offense stymied because Edsall would rather score less and keep the opponent off the field.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Can't see Lashlee hanging around to have his offense stymied because Edsall would rather score less and keep the opponent off the field.

Any discontent between Edsall and Lashlee is being manufactured on this board.

If Lashlee is gone, it's because he gets an offer that bodes better for his long-term career than sticking around for another seasons. Not because he feels Edsall is holding him back.

Reaction Score
Any discontent between Edsall and Lashlee is being manufactured on this board.

If Lashlee is gone, it's because he gets an offer that bodes better for his long-term career than sticking around for another seasons. Not because he feels Edsall is holding him back.
They guy wants to run a high powered, no huddle offense. The offense was leashed. He is the crown jewel of the program. I don't think there is discontent between them, but highly motivated guys don't like to be chained. Edsel needs to let him do his thing.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
D was horrible this season. So bad that as long as the measurables are better, the results should be better. I'm more worried about the O regressing with a new QB. I think the WR/TE need to step it up to compensate but once again it will come down to replacing 2-3 linemen which is a crapshoot cause they will all be young.

On D we lose the entire DL, most of the LB and the two starting CB's. Essentially turning in all of the Scrabble tiles and redrawing.

Next season will depend on improving the measurables at every position and more consistency of execution.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Lashlee ain't going anywhere unless he gets an unbelievable offer
BTW - nothing at all against the guy BUT Auburn doesn't look like they are missing him this year - do they?
I think he will continue to improve UConn's offense with the improvement in skills and talent of recruits

C

Chief00

Lashlee ain't going anywhere unless he gets an unbelievable offer
BTW - nothing at all against the guy BUT Auburn doesn't look like they are missing him this year - do they?
I think he will continue to improve UConn's offense with the improvement in skills and talent of recruits

My friend it’s a big World of opportunity out there for talented people.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My friend it’s a big World of opportunity out there for talented people.
yeah its a big world but I'm still not sold that this guy walks on water
Is he better than what we have had the past 1/2 dozen years - yeah
But from SEC powerhouse to UConn and then the former team has a fantastic season on the offensive end?
Not saying he won't turn out to be a successful coach but it's still a gamble
I think he stays here a bit - which isn't a bad thing

Reaction Score
yeah its a big world but I'm still not sold that this guy walks on water
Is he better than what we have had the past 1/2 dozen years - yeah
But from SEC powerhouse to UConn and then the former team has a fantastic season on the offensive end?
Not saying he won't turn out to be a successful coach but it's still a gamble
I think he stays here a bit - which isn't a bad thing
Dont forget..the coach who he worked for was forced to relinquish play calling duties to Lashlee which in turn allowed Auburn to turn around their season. Jarrett Stidham the QB that is leading that Auburn team you are talking about transferred to that school in large part due to Rhett Lashlee and the relationship they developed. The defense is lights out..especially the front 7 (they pretty much manhandled the OL's of 2 #1 ranked teams)...that's the main reason they are in the position they are in. So in closing if out wasn't for Rhett's relationship with Stidham..he wouldn't be at Auburn...and he is one of the main reasons for the offensive success on that team.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom