2018 UConn Commit - Brendan Casey (Fairfield CT) | The Boneyard

2018 UConn Commit - Brendan Casey (Fairfield CT)

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
6'6'' Casey can dunk? Not many offensive lineman can dunk....

Wonder if this is another PWO. Can only take so many of those before you are over promising....

Isn’t this only the third? It always seemed like Diaco reeled in loads more.

Reaction Score
6'6'' Casey can dunk? Not many offensive lineman can dunk....

Wonder if this is another PWO. Can only take so many of those before you are over promising....

The only thing promised to a PWO is full team membership and access to everything that a scholarship player has. Things like locker room, facility access, the strength and conditioning program, ect. Anything else is earned. He is part of the 105 man roster and doesn't have to go through tryouts like other walkons

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The only thing promised to a PWO is full team membership and access to everything that a scholarship player has. Things like locker room, facility access, the strength and conditioning program, ect. Anything else is earned. He is part of the 105 man roster and doesn't have to go through tryouts like other walkons
Of course. But I don't think its customary to have more than a handful of these guys as many are expecting to earn that scholarship after two or three years. Otherwise wouldn't we routinely see talk of programs having more than a couple PWO a year?

Reaction Score
These kids are promised only the opportunity to earn a scholarship, but are entering the deal with an understanding that the planets may need to align to make that happen. If there are a certain number of transfers and the coaches do not want to pocket the scholarship for next year then a small number of PWOs may be offered a scholly. The vast majority of PWOs do not earn scholarships. They are still eligible for needs based financial aid, but most PWOs are in-state and pay in-state tuition. Very common among major schools for kids to turn down scholarships to lower level schools to attend the major program. That happened to UConn w/ a Florida RB a couple of years ago.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The vast majority of PWOs do not earn scholarships. They are still eligible for needs based financial aid, but most PWOs are in-state and pay in-state tuition.
Um thanks - but no kidding to all your points. You are not telling me anything I don't know. The only thing I don't know is what # of PWO Randy would be comfortable having as I don't recall Edsal 1.0 running his WO house to the 105 head ceiling with PWOs.

And btw - not all PWOs are with long odds. Each one is different, some come with true expectations for earning a scholarship from both the player and the staff. Sheffield to FSU was a different kind of walk on last year than lets say the "avg" WO situation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Then why didn't you ask? Diaco was much more vocal about his PWOs. I think that came from his time at Iowa where they would get many more walkons to the beloved Hawkeyes, so he expected them to contribute. That has never been Edsall's style. It could be related to the lack of depth of talent in CT or that the CT kids are not as connected to UConn football and accepted the offers from lower level schools. Edsall seemingly wanted to save as many scholarships for recruiting. Although Edsall did hand out 5 PWO scholarships at MD in 2015, so if the talent is there it will happen.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Although Edsall did hand out 5 PWO scholarships at MD in 2015, so if the talent is there it will happen.
Thats a good nugget. Thanks

Reaction Score
He is 6.6..going 250. In 2 years, if he works himself to 295, could be a great add. Has access to everything as a PWO to get to 295.Motivation. Desire. Tape looks pretty darn good. Looks very athletic.
Great move for him.
IMO...Great move for us...WE NEED QUALITY DEPTH and we have a chance with commits like this as it costs us nothing... could be a hidden gem.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
These kids are promised only the opportunity to earn a scholarship, but are entering the deal with an understanding that the planets may need to align to make that happen. If there are a certain number of transfers and the coaches do not want to pocket the scholarship for next year then a small number of PWOs may be offered a scholly. The vast majority of PWOs do not earn scholarships. They are still eligible for needs based financial aid, but most PWOs are in-state and pay in-state tuition. Very common among major schools for kids to turn down scholarships to lower level schools to attend the major program. That happened to UConn w/ a Florida RB a couple of years ago.

Deonte Sheffield who might be on Scholarship at FSU now.

I like a 6'6" lineman who is 250 lbs. and a lot of room for growth. Remember UConn has had a few good PWO's through the years under Coach Edsall.

Reaction Score
Nice to get Fairfield county kid. Think UConn is a good/economical choice for a good in state student (where that type tuition isn't a killer) with potential who wants to see what he can grow into where his scholarship alternatives might be schools he isn't as interested in. UConn is a nice academic/athletic combo for the right "potential" type kid. The AAC has some serious football teams, including last year's undefeated national champs.

Reaction Score
Deonte Sheffield who might be on Scholarship at FSU now.

I like a 6'6" lineman who is 250 lbs. and a lot of room for growth. Remember UConn has had a few good PWO's through the years under Coach Edsall.
We were in really bad shape back then.. Can't blame Sheffield on that move at all...

Reaction Score
He looks like a TE. But he certainly has a frame that can add weight if they see him as an OT.

Best of luck to the young man.

Reaction Score
Nice to get Fairfield county kid. Think UConn is a good/economical choice for a good in state student (where that type tuition isn't a killer) with potential who wants to see what he can grow into where his scholarship alternatives might be schools he isn't as interested in. UConn is a nice academic/athletic combo for the right "potential" type kid. The AAC has some serious football teams, including last year's undefeated national champs.
we've had our share of fairfield county kids, scholarship and walkon players. Lutrus, Sidebotham and Westmark from Brookfield, Easley from Bunnell, Omakaro from Danbury, Cochran was at Masuk, etc. etc. it's not as rare as a lot of people think.

Reaction Score
we've had our share of fairfield county kids, scholarship and walkon players. Lutrus, Sidebotham and Westmark from Brookfield, Easley from Bunnell, Omakaro from Danbury, Cochran was at Masuk, etc. etc. it's not as rare as a lot of people think.

I stand corrected I thought Brookfield and Monroe weren’t Fairfield county

Reaction Score
I stand corrected I thought Brookfield and Monroe weren’t Fairfield county

you aren't the only one. typically people think it's just Stamford/Westport/Greenwich/Darien/New Canaan when it comes to fairfield county football

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

We had that QB from Fairfield whose name is escaping me...he either graduated this past year or is a senior now

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom