2018 UConn Commit #16 - Liam Maloney (Schenectady, NY) | The Boneyard

2018 UConn Commit #16 - Liam Maloney (Schenectady, NY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Liam Maloney on Hudl

Holy Trinity lineman drawing interest

Liam Maloney is a 6'8 265 pound offensive lineman from Schenectady, NY. Other offer from Albany.

Maloney attended a prospect camp at Syracuse Sunday where representatives from the University at Buffalo were also on hand. The following Sunday, he'll be at the University of Connecticut for another prospect camp.

Maloney is a different player than the one who helped lead Holy Trinity to its first Section II playoff berth last fall. He's grown an inch and put on 15 pounds, and is currently listed at 6-foot-8 and 265.

"He's worked hard," Barber said. "He's been doing drills and he's been in the weight room, and he's gotten a lot stronger. He grew up over the winter. His grades are up, too."

Maloney didn't play basketball for Bishop Gibbons like he did in previous years, opting instead to prepare for the game he'll be competing in one day at UAlbany, Syracuse University, Boston College or elsewhere.

"I know I'll probably be going somewhere, so I decided to focus on lifting and putting on weight instead of playing basketball," Maloney said. "I think it was a good decision."

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Honestly, I see a kid that could explode to a four star recruit if he took his development to a super senior year at some private school football powerhouse in 2018. That said, if he camped with us, added 15 lbs since the fall and got the Grimes seal of approval, then I am sold. I think we are buying early on this kid before he has a great senior campaign.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
love that he used to play basketball. at 6'8 I was nervous he wouldn't have the necessary athleticism to play on the outside but that puts those concerns to rest. Really really excited to see what Liam can do when he gets up to the proper weight and gets coached by Grimes.

Reaction Score
Looks like another Randy Special! Athleticism and potential with a good frame. Given the proper coaching from Grimes and Co., this kid could be a real nice addition to an area where we could really use his skills. Welcome aboard Liam!

Reaction Score
love that he used to play basketball. at 6'8 I was nervous he wouldn't have the necessary athleticism to play on the outside but that puts those concerns to rest. Really really excited to see what Liam can do when he gets up to the proper weight and gets coached by Grimes.
Grimes might not be here next year to coach him. I'm almost positive Grimes signed a one-year contract to be the O-Line coach

Reaction Score
Bishop Gibbons history in football - going back 40 years - isn't anything too impressive. Nor is most of the Albany region. But that's the thing ... you need not over analyze. Raw size, speed and a weight program can get the kid to a major problem development prospect to play in a few years. Thinking Zach Hurd or Dan Ryan.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
As soon as I saw that the school had a HCRE quote pinned to their page I was pretty sure he was a verbal.

I think he will have a monster season and the staff but keep on him throughout since he will be getting bigger offers.

I feel like this was an area HCBD really sucked. His contact with his recruits during the season seemed to lapse. Of course he never had this many verbals at any time so.....

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
RE knows how to develop linemen. Go back to Krug, Markowski, Irwin, Dupree and on through the years. This kid has the footwork and hip turns that RE looks for with a frame they can build up. Playing basketball also shows kid is athletic. Prototypical RE lineman who can develop into something special. Such a radical departure from the last few years where it was prototypical size and nothing else.

Reaction Score
I feel like this was an area HCBD really sucked. His contact with his recruits during the season seemed to lapse. Of course he never had this many verbals at any time so.....
Could be. Or the recruits paid attention to the s***show that unfolded each season and wanted nothing to do with it.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Bishop Gibbons history in football - going back 40 years - isn't anything too impressive. Nor is most of the Albany region. But that's the thing ... you need not over analyze. Raw size, speed and a weight program can get the kid to a major problem development prospect to play in a few years. Thinking Zach Hurd or Dan Ryan.
Spot on with the Zach Hurd reference. Big-framed, mobile kid with room to grow. Assessing, projecting and deveoping talent were areas that HCREv1.0 excelled in. This looks like a great fit all around. Welcome Liam!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The sad reality is: how many of these good under the radar recruits will get poached now that they have a UConn offer?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Debbie Downer!
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics