OT: - 2018 Tournament of Nations USWNT US vs Japan 07/26 7PM FS1 | The Boneyard

OT: 2018 Tournament of Nations USWNT US vs Japan 07/26 7PM FS1

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice alternative with no WNBA games. I like the Japan style (so technical on the ball) so should be fun.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Alex Morgan looking like her old self with 2 high quality first half goals and nearly had a 3rd goal with a filthy half volley attempt. Leads Japan 2-1. After very tentative first 10 minutes, US playing with confidence. Japan's goal was a high skill goal (a bit fluky of a US deflection)

Other players of Note.

Crystal Dunn is so strong. Very good crossing
Rapinoe with great vision as well..

Update 1: Morgan gets the hat trick on opportunistic goal but Tobin Heath makes the play of the Game with an incredible undressing of the Japan Defender on the baseline. I predict SC top 10.

Update 2. US leading 4-1. Then Japan's subs decided to run rampant through the US defense. At least 5 quality chances. Japan finally capitalizes on 1 with a nice SC worthy 30 yard perfectly struck goal into the upper side netting. Now 4-2 and US has alot of questions to answer on the defensive end.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On the whole they played pretty well.
Alex Morgan has been tremendous since she returned from playing in Europe. Rapinoe and her work so well together.
Tobin Heath showed why she was one of their top players before being hurt almost all of last year.
They were missing three starters; Mallory Pugh, Saurebrun and O'Hara so some younger players got opportunities to show what they can do.
Dunn is very helpful playing defensively, as they need her there. With Sauerbrun out with injury and not there to stabilize the defensive back. It does give Davidson and Dalyrkemple a chance to gain experience and also step up.
I think one of their biggest problems is their goaltending appears mediocre.
Game with Australia is a big one as they were last team to beat the US at last years tournament.
The US continues this second tournament against the very best teams in the world.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Alex Morgan looking like her old self with 2 high quality first half goals and nearly had a 3rd goal with a filthy half volley attempt. Leads Japan 2-1. After very tentative first 10 minutes, US playing with confidence. Japan's goal was a high skill goal (a bit fluky of a US deflection)

Other players of Note.

Crystal Dunn is so strong. Very good crossing
Rapinoe with great vision as well..

Update 1: Morgan gets the hat trick on opportunistic goal but Tobin Heath makes the play of the Game with an incredible undressing of the Japan Defender on the baseline. I predict SC top 10.

Update 2. US leading 4-1. Then Japan's subs decided to run rampant through the US defense. At least 5 quality chances. Japan finally capitalizes on 1 with a nice SC worthy 30 yard perfectly struck goal into the upper side netting. Now 4-2 and US has alot of questions to answer on the defensive end.
The subs looked unprepared and off the pace. I was shocked how often the subs allowed Japan to get behind the defense. I mean, a few times in the last 15 minutes, but on the regular? This goes directly to preparation and scheme. The 4-4-3 looked devastating offensively, but showed weaknesses on defense, even with the starters in.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
With Sauerbrun out with injury and not there to stabilize the defensive back. It does give Davidson and Dalyrkemple a chance to gain experience and also step up.
Sauerbrunn is not out with injury anymore. She was on the bench. Right now, Ellis prefers Dahlkemper and Davidson.

They could have used Hinkle as a FB. It's not Sonnett's natural position. I would also like to see Sullivan on the team. Not sure what happened there.

Reaction Score
I'd really like to see everyone get healthy (or at least close to everyone) and Ellis decide on a team that includes, Pugh, Davidson, Sullivan, and Lavelle. Goalkeeping and defense do seem a bit suspect, at least compared to the past, but if we can field our top lineup and give them some games playing together I like our chances to outscore anyone.

Reaction Score
Sauerbrunn is not out with injury anymore. She was on the bench. Right now, Ellis prefers Dahlkemper and Davidson.

They could have used Hinkle as a FB. It's not Sonnett's natural position. I would also like to see Sullivan on the team. Not sure what happened there.
Thanks for clarification!
Bronx23

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
... Goalkeeping and defense do seem a bit suspect, at least compared to the past, but if we can field our top lineup and give them some games playing together I like our chances to outscore anyone.

While Hope Solo was a pain in the neck sometimes (too many times), she was a darned good keeper. Right now we have no one of similar ability, IMO.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
While Hope Solo was a pain in the neck sometimes (too many times), she was a darned good keeper. Right now we have no one of similar ability, IMO.
Very true. However, our GKs are probably as good as most other countries. Just not Solo good.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Seemed kind of evident on that second goal.

Reaction Score
Or even close to her!
She was a great goal keeper!
With her in goal, either or both the next World Cup and / or Olympics are both very possible. With out her, they have a shot but I don't think they will win even though their talent, skill, depth on the rest of the pitch is way superior to the other best teams.
Soccer being what it is, a tough, focused well coached, defensively minded team still has a shot as evidenced by the last Olympic outcome, which led to one of Hope Solo's improprieties.
I believe her ship likely has passed.
Therefore we need to find the next best option, which maybe Naeher but I'm not impressed so fear
Bronx23

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
US goes against the Aussies today 7PM on FS1, The Aussies had beaten Brazil 3-1 and won last year so this seems to be a very good test.

Update 1 Australia takes a 1-0 lead at 22'. US had dominated the run of play but Australia counter punched a beautiful connected play. Well deserved goal, And they do not look like they are going into a defensive shell.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice result with tying goal in 91'. They deserved it since they played very well in my opinion. Australia played very well in terms of pace and physicality and pressured the US for the full game. Great test. If they just finished the last ball on multiple locations.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I thought the US played well in spurts, but at times looked either disinterested or undisciplined. Once again no Morgan, no victory.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Nice article on Rapinoe from Deadspin today - https://deadspin.com/megan-rapinoe-is-still-pulling-all-the-right-strings-1827970577

upload_2018-7-30_15-26-10.png

Let's see - aging playmaker with no clear heir apparent who remains integral to USA's success despite her relatively advanced age by the standards of her sport. Sue and Megan are really living the same life but in different sports.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice result with tying goal in 91'. They deserved it since they played very well in my opinion. Australia played very well in terms of pace and physicality and pressured the US for the full game. Great test. If they just finished the last ball on multiple locations.

Follow up by Graham Hays. Pretty much agrees with my opinion. Both teams played at a very high level for most of the games. May be the 2 best teams in Womens Soccer.

Despite draw, U.S. women's national team hits high notes against Australia

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I thought the US played well in spurts, but at times looked either disinterested or undisciplined. Once again no Morgan, no victory.
I thought they played better than they did against Japan. But poor finishing by Rapinoe and up until the end, poor set pieces by Rapinoe didn't help.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nice article on Rapinoe from Deadspin today - https://deadspin.com/megan-rapinoe-is-still-pulling-all-the-right-strings-1827970577

View attachment 33328

Let's see - aging playmaker with no clear heir apparent who remains integral to USA's success despite her relatively advanced age by the standards of her sport. Sue and Megan are really living the same life but in different sports.
Well Horan (24) and Heath (30) are able to. But a lot of times they have Horan playing pretty deep. And Heath is just coming back from injury. Lavelle (23) is also supposed to be a pretty good passer/playmaker, but haven't really seen that yet at the International level. Pugh (20) can certainly take over the wing/forward work though.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well Horan (24) and Heath (30) are able to. But a lot of times they have Horan playing pretty deep. And Heath is just coming back from injury. Lavelle (23) is also supposed to be a pretty good passer/playmaker, but haven't really seen that yet at the International level. Pugh (20) can certainly take over the wing/forward work though.

I appreciate the info. I have to admit that I only watch the USWNT during the Olympics and World Cup, so I was taking the article I read at face value.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I thought they played better than they did against Japan. But poor finishing by Rapinoe and up until the end, poor set pieces by Rapinoe didn't help.
All true.
Lavelle has been both a surprise and a disapointment. She's just so tentative and occasionally just wrong footed. It seems easy to see the ability lying under the surface though. I have to feel the confidence will come.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Lavelle has been both a surprise and a disapointment. She's just so tentative and occasionally just wrong footed. It seems easy to see the ability lying under the surface though. I have to feel the confidence will come.
I believe Lavelle was out quite a bit last year with injury also. So hopefully as she gets playing things will start clicking for her.

Reaction Score
Enjoyed all the posts in this thread!
I think if Mallory Pugh and Rose Lavelle are healthy the US will still be in great shape when Rapinoe slows down and Carli Lloyd hangs it up. They are both the future of the women's team.
Here are some random thoughts about some of the top players.
Tobin Heath just returning from approx 1 1/2 years injured is a unique player. Seems to be she will be one forward and Mallory the other both surrounding Alex Morgan. Mallory Pugh led or co- led the team in assists last year I believe and one of the best at creating opportunities for her teammates. Christin Press is an offensive force except against the worlds strongest teams. I've loved her movement, energy, ability to shoot and score but they must help her be able to do so against the very best teams and players. Dunn is also an amazing offensive player but doesn't ever get enough time regularly at the forward position. Therefore she has been used as outside defensive back, where she can excel.
The midfielders who have played very well at times and have made significant contributions seem to be in and out or off and on.
Horan has to be one of the stronger players but I find her slow afoot when she's pressured in the midfield. Maybe she needs to be the attacking midfielder. Her background and experience from being the first to go play directly in Europe points to someone who will clearly be part of the mix. Rose Lavelle in the first few games up from her college team showed elements of a younger Tobin Heath. What she does with the ball is pretty special. For most of last year Sam Mewis was paired with Julie Ertz and both have seemingly struggled / regressed this year. Ertz was often one of their best players at defensive midfielder. She was moved up one position with Brian behind her but that's doesn't seem to work well. In the 2015/16 Olympics Morgan Brian appeared to be the glue at defensive midfielder and I believe she was 23 or 24 at the time. During this tournament I didn't see much from her but she also was out with an injury for awhile. Unfortunately I think it's time for the team to thank Carli Lloyd for her incredible career but I'd rather see others get the chance to grow and develop.
More to come later!
Bronx23

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The one thing that's been a constant in my mind for some time (and I've said it before here) is that the USWNT needs an upgrade on the defensive end. Evidently they're not going to get a better GK than Naeher (I guess we've been spoiled by Solo and Scurry, but is there really no one better?), so they need to shore up their back line. I was glad to see Ellis put Ertz at center back late in the game against the Aussies. Johnston/Ertz was one of the linchpins in that incredible back line they had in the last world cup. I think Sauerbrun still has it. I'd like to see Short play more; Dahlkemper, Sonnett, not sure either is ready for prime time. And I still don't get having Dunn on the back line, but I know people on the BY have explained it to me in the past, and I accept it. But I still think Ertz belongs at center back.

I like the platoon of Heath and Press on the wing. They're both really skilled and bring such different kits to the game, I think it can't help but put opponents a little off kilter.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The one thing that's been a constant in my mind for some time (and I've said it before here) is that the USWNT needs an upgrade on the defensive end. Evidently they're not going to get a better GK than Naeher (I guess we've been spoiled by Solo and Scurry, but is there really no one better?), so they need to shore up their back line. I was glad to see Ellis put Ertz at center back late in the game against the Aussies. Johnston/Ertz was one of the linchpins in that incredible back line they had in the last world cup. I think Sauerbrun still has it. I'd like to see Short play more; Dahlkemper, Sonnett, not sure either is ready for prime time. And I still don't get having Dunn on the back line, but I know people on the BY have explained it to me in the past, and I accept it. But I still think Ertz belongs at center back.

I like the platoon of Heath and Press on the wing. They're both really skilled and bring such different kits to the game, I think it can't help but put opponents a little off kilter.
Ertz is so much better at DM. That's hers for awhile. (Interesting last night on the broadcast I thought I heard one of the coaches yelling "JJ". Wonder if that's still what they call her??)

USA comes through with 4-1 win over Brazil to win Tournament of Nations. Lavelle, Ertz, Heath and Morgan scoring.

Lavelle looked really good in her time out there. Lavelle/Horan/Ertz might the MF to go with.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom