2018 Paradise Jam (Virgin Islands) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2018 Paradise Jam (Virgin Islands)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yes. I can tell you this. By November if no disaster strike us again, we will be in excellent shape. We've had hundreds of linemen from New York and Florida restoring power over here. Just this week we had a cruise ship visiting St. Croix. We still have some blue roofs but not alot. Since we have elections this year the politicians have moved swiftly to better things though some schools are in a mess. I want to acknowledge our Tim Duncan who has helped the islands by providing food to the residents. But yes the V. I. Will be ready come tourney time so feel safe to fly over here please. If I do cross over to St. Thomas hopefully I will meet some boneyarders.

Thanks Bascomfan. If you hear of anything you think fans that are planning to attend the Jam fest this fall should know about, please use this forum to share it with us. If you attend the Paradise Jam, I guarantee you, you will run into a lot of UConn fans (a lot of whom are boneyarders). We travel real well!!! They'll be real easy to spot. They'll have on UConn gear, and they'll be smiling. :)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
North Carolina will try it's best NOT to be in the same bracket as UConn. I believe that the brackets will be UConn, NC, Purdue, and Kentucky as one and Miss St, UCLA, USF, ans St John's as the other. That way the teams that are slated to play each other in the regular season will not see each other in this tourney.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
North Carolina will try it's best NOT to be in the same bracket as UConn. I believe that the brackets will be UConn, NC, Purdue, and Kentucky as one and Miss St, UCLA, USF, ans St John's as the other. That way the teams that are slated to play each other in the regular season will not see each other in this tourney.
Sylvia has been avoiding the Huskies for years, preferring to feast on cupcakes for her OOC schedule. If UNC is set to face UConn in November, it might be a good time for her to finally retire, rather than getting a painful reminder of just how far her once proud program has fallen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I just checked, and the Marriott is showing no availability. The Westin on St. Johns is not accepting reservations until January 2019. Hopefully, there are some good options.

Reaction Score
I just checked, and the Marriot is showing no availability. The Westin on St. Johns is not accepting reservations until January 2019. Hopefully, there are some good options.
Doesn't sound good - yikes

Reaction Score
We'll hear more over time. Fingers crossed!
I have a feeling, from the feedback I'm getting from my former hotel there, and reading here, that the destruction on St. Thomas is much worse than we may be imagining. Maybe us Boneyarders should hire a cruise ship to park offshore - kinda like the USA Basketball ship for the Rio Olympics.

Actually there are live-aboard dive boats for hire for smaller parties if we can't get together the necessary 3,700 Boneyarders to fill up the Carnival Breeze. Dive all day/watch basketball at night. These boats run about $3,000/week per person, double occupancy (add 65% for private room). Includes diving and air, food, beer & wine, airport transfers. | Official Site | Liveaboard Scuba Dive Yachts Trips - Aggressor Flee

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have a feeling, from the feedback I'm getting from my former hotel there, and reading here, that the destruction on St. Thomas is much worse than we may be imagining. Maybe us Boneyarders should hire a cruise ship to park offshore - kinda like the USA Basketball ship for the Rio Olympics.

Actually there are live-aboard dive boats for hire for smaller parties if we can't get together the necessary 3,700 Boneyarders to fill up the Carnival Breeze. Dive all day/watch basketball at night. These boats run about $3,000/week per person, double occupancy (add 65% for private room). Includes diving and air, food, beer & wine, airport transfers. | Official Site | Liveaboard Scuba Dive Yachts Trips - Aggressor Flee
That's generous of you to offer that! ;)

Reaction Score
Ok people I have been trying for the past couple of days to upload a video of my island to show its recovery but have been unsuccessful. If someone can give me their email so I can forward it to them and they can share it that would be nice. My email is dynastic12003@gmail.com.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
It can be formatted to increase the likelihood that certain teams won't meet, but it can't be guaranteed. Assuming UConn wins all of it's game and either UCLA or South Florida wins their first 2, they would meet UConn in the final.

It can be guaranteed. They have two separate divisions, and no overlap.

One division is the Reef Division and one is the Island Division. There used to be a third, St. Croix division, but no more.

The format has varied over the years, but seems to have settled down to a round robin format for each division.

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Games generally at night (~7:00-10:00 PM), so you can be a tourist all day.

Games are afternoon and evenings, but a virtual certainty that UConn will be in the evening.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Games are afternoon and evenings, but a virtual certainty that UConn will be in the evening.
Is that so Geno can play golf during the day? ;)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
My wife and I were on a cruise that stopped in St Thomas a few weeks ago.
My interest was in doing an informal survey of the hurricane damage.

For St Thomas, at least, there is significant progress being made; not a great many sailboats had been sunk or destroyed; roads were clear or being cleared, a cruise ship had been hired to provide accommodations for the nearly 1000 linemen, stringing electric line. 90% of the island is back on the grid. The horrible brown color of the countryside had been restored (by nature) to it's more suitable green.

That's the positives...The negatives are a large number of damaged homes, blue roof tarps, very common; the huge cost (double or triple main-land prices) for restoring a roof; the destruction of tourist infrastructure and its debilitating effect on the economy. See Washington Post story from a few days ago: As tourism returns, hurricane recovery in the Virgin Islands is leaving some residents behind.

My impression is that St Johns was hit harder yet; don't know anything of St. Croix, and the BVI's worst of all. I've seen pictures of dozens, perhaps hundreds of wrecked boats in and around Tortola, where much of the Caribbean charter fleets reside.

St. Thomas, indeed all the Islands, are trying to put an optimistic face on and say its business as usual, but its not...By next fall there will certainly be enough hotels and restaurants available so that the Island will be presentable but under the surface, the problems as described in the Post article will have not gone way.

Hurricanes, can hit one area harder than one 15 or 20miles away; a favorite sailing destination of mine; the Bitter End Yacht Club, a mega resort (mostly for the rich)
was almost completely destroyed; dozens of local employees without work, a very tough scene.

VIDEO: Irma rakes Bitter End Yacht Club >> Scuttlebutt Sailing News

Attending the series; bring back the tourist dollars will help, but be forewarned.
It's not quite the same.

Reaction Score
I am living in St. Croix and we have really recovered alot. Go to talitacum 7 which is my YouTube channel. I uploaded a short video

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and we have another "hurricane season" coming up before the games so who knows

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I am living in St. Croix and we have really recovered alot. Go to talitacum 7 which is my YouTube channel. I uploaded a short video
you need to give us better info on your page, you can copy and paste the link right into this box

Reaction Score
you need to give us better info on your page, you can copy and paste the link right into this box
Sorry but I have tried everything. I am still new to the boneyard and not too computer savvy. And most times when I click upload a file it says "error".

Reaction Score
Sorry but I have tried everything. I am still new to the boneyard and not too computer savvy. And most times when I click upload a file it says "error".
This isn't the "official" instructions, but it works: Just play the YouTube video. Then, while it's playing, copy the URL at the top of your screen and paste it right into the body of your Boneyard post. You may need to be on an actual PC or Mac, as some mobile devices (mine, anyway) don't display the YouTube URL.

Reaction Score
This isn't the "official" instructions, but it works: Just play the YouTube video. Then, while it's playing, copy the URL at the top of your screen and paste it right into the body of your Boneyard post. You may need to be on an actual PC or Mac, as some mobile devices (mine, anyway) don't display the YouTube URL.
You are right. My mobile device doesn't display the YouTube URL either. :oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom