2018 NCAA rule changes | The Boneyard

2018 NCAA rule changes

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Linky

The two biggies:
Any fair catch within the 25 yard line is a touch back.
Blocks below the waist must be with 5 yards on the line of scrimmage.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Linky

The two biggies:
Blocks below the waste must be with 5 yards on the line of scrimmage.
So much for playing for field position.

Reaction Score
Linky

The two biggies:
Blocks below the waste must be with 5 yards on the line of scrimmage.

Our defense was in some pretty deep waste last year.........not sure they were actually below it though.

CL82

Reaction Score
Our defense was in some pretty deep waste last year....not sure they were actually below it though.
Lol, fixed it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't mind the kickoff rule. I think that is probably the best solution possible actually. I would even consider getting rid of the kickoff altogether but I wouldn't want to lose the onside kick. Losing that would take away the end game excitement for a lot of games...

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't mind the kickoff rule. I think that is probably the best solution possible actually. I would even consider getting rid of the kickoff altogether but I wouldn't want to lose the onside kick. Losing that would take away the end game excitement for a lot of games...
I hate to see the physicality of the game watered down, but it needs to happen. I posted a link to Farve talking about "getting dinged" which is a concussion, but it isn't treated like one. You shake your head a bit and keep right on playing. On a single play, not a big deal, but cumulatively it's huge.

FWIW, the problem isn't limited to football. Heck I can remember water skiing falls that were in all likelihood problematic. Remember when you'd fall you'd skitter along the top of the water until you slowed to below 30 mph? All those head bounces weren't a good thing.

CL82

Reaction Score
Bobby Red Pants approves of this rule change.
See the man was visionary. Can a Nickelodeon football deal be far off?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I hate to see the physicality of the game watered down, but it needs to happen. I posted a link to Farve talking about "getting dinged" which is a concussion, but it isn't treated like one. You shake your head a bit and keep right on playing. On a single play, not a big deal, but cumulatively it's huge.

FWIW, the problem isn't limited to football. Heck I can remember water skiing falls that were in all likelihood problematic. Remember when you'd fall you'd skitter along the top of the water until you slowed to below 30 mph? All those head bounces weren't a good thing.

It's ironic: my problem with the kickoff isn't even about the physicality, although that should be the concern.

My problem is the math. A kicker who can only kick it to the 3 yard line is rewarded over the kicker who puts it out of the endzone, because a return from the 3 doesn't often gets back to the 25...

#SayNoToBadKickers

Reaction Score
It's ironic: my problem with the kickoff isn't even about the physicality, although that should be the concern.

My problem is the math. A kicker who can only kick it to the 3 yard line is rewarded over the kicker who puts it out of the endzone, because a return from the 3 doesn't often gets back to the 25...

#SayNoToBadKickers

Many of the best kickers, on orders from their coaches, were purposefully kicking it high and short of the goal line, just so the coverage team could make the tackle inside the 25.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Many of the best kickers, on orders from their coaches, were purposefully kicking it high and short of the goal line, just so the coverage team could make the tackle inside the 25.

That's true of the really good kickers and I was speaking somewhat in hyperbole. But many of the mediocre kickers could only kick that far, and often suffered from the ball going out of bounds for a yardage penalty when their aim was poor...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom