2018 NCAA Hockey Regional - Bridgeport | The Boneyard

2018 NCAA Hockey Regional - Bridgeport

Reaction Score
Gonna try to make it to watch my alma mater take on Providence for the third time. They have beaten them twice but are nowhere near as hot now as they were then.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'm heading down tonight for the regional final. Who should I root for? Providence? Notre Dame? UConn?

Reaction Score
Providence. We cannot cheer for ND to succeed. Plus, next state over. Michigan Tech played a great game. Notre Dame was just able to produce one scoring play more.

14 NHL draft picks between the 2 teams. Providence has 8.

Reaction Score
I'll be there tonight

As much as I hate PC, gotta root for hockey east to advance.

Does hockey east get credits($) for its teams advancing in NCAA's like basketball???

I doubt it, but more reason to root for PC

Reaction Score
I'll be there tonight

As much as I hate PC, gotta root for hockey east to advance.

Does hockey east get credits($) for its teams advancing in NCAA's like basketball???

I doubt it, but more reason to root for PC

I have always rooted for teams in your conference in NCAA tournaments. The better your conference looks, the better your team looks. Guilt by association, so to speak. I always did that in the Big East, I see no reason not to do that with either the AAC or Hockey East.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Providence. We cannot cheer for ND to succeed. Plus, next state over. Michigan Tech played a great game. Notre Dame was just able to produce one scoring play more.

14 NHL draft picks between the 2 teams. Providence has 8.

Figured I was going PC. Hockey East for the tiebreaker. Plus UConn would be able to say we beat a Frozen Four team.

Reaction Score
That was a fun 3 games. Clarkson's showing was too small for a school that was getting into the NCAA postseason tournament for the first time in 10 years. The Michigan Tech students vs the Irish students was some epic chanting in the first game. The Irish just had the better playmakers. Which sucked for everyone else.

Can't believe ND gets big in so many sports all of the sudden. The ND coach was whining yesterday about the attendance of the first game at 3PM on a Friday. He wanted everyone to drop their jobs and come to the game and pack the arena.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
That was a fun 3 games. Clarkson's showing was too small for a school that was getting into the NCAA postseason tournament for the first time in 10 years.

Clarkson's enrollment is 4,000.

Reaction Score
Clarkson's enrollment is 4,000.

I was there Friday.

Way more clarkson fans than PC fans on Friday. Gotta give em credit to make that long drive.

Their drive was at least double compared to PC fans. Especially for a Friday

They were louder and way more into the game than the PC fans.

Reaction Score
You were probably on the Michigan Tech/Clarkson side during the 2 games. I was on the ND/PC side. The PC fans were fine from what I was hearing. Maybe the acoustics in the building are weird. Or I missed something. Beats me.

Reaction Score
You were probably on the Michigan Tech/Clarkson side during the 2 games. I was on the ND/PC side. The PC fans were fine from what I was hearing. Maybe the acoustics in the building are weird. Or I missed something. Beats me.

Butch, I was indeed on the Clarkson side on Friday . I sat in 102. To me, overall it seemed like more clarkson fans there on Friday. Maybe the green/gold stood out.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Seemed like ND fans outnumbered PC fans 2:1 tonight.

Reaction Score
This is the most exciting regional out of all 4. Michigan Tech and Notre Dame go OT, Clarkson and PC play a one-goal game, then ND wins the regional final with 27 seconds left. The skyboxes were well attended.

Cannot believe SCSU lost to Air Force and Minnesota State screwed up against UMD . Zero shots in the second period. UMD is very well coached compared to SCSU and MSU-Mankato. MSU-Mankato is now 0-5 in NCAA games. Air Force had 12 shots tonight against UMD.

If UConn ever got into a regional hosted by Bridgeport or Providence or Worcestor or Manchester, I'd expect a huge show-up. If UConn was in a regional in Bridgeport, attendance would probably be higher. Was 4500 yesterday and 5500 today. The lowest of all regionals but excellent considering the teams that Bridgeport drew. Sioux Falls had 3 Minnesota schools, Allentown had Penn State, Ohio State and Denver, Worcester had BU, Michigan and Cornell (and Northeastern).

Last edited:

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Ehh, it wasn't the draw. Bridgeport got the biggest national college sports brand in the country in ND, and two northeastern schools. Providence was why this regional wasn't well attended. They were geographically the closest school assigned here, were expected to do well, and played both days.

And they were outdrawn massively by ND.

Reaction Score
I am assuming there were PC fans who showed up for the Clarkson game but not the Notre Dame game. There were way, way more ND fans on Saturday than Friday.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I wasn't there Friday to know but seems odd if PC fans were able to show better on a work day than Saturday. Maybe they thought they were going to lose to Clarkson? Who knows? Just seemed weird to me not to see many PC fans there when it's the next state over. It would be like UConn fans not showing up for a game at the Barclays or something. Wouldn't happen.

Reaction Score
2+ hour drive each way. I am still surprised they wouldn't do that again for the regional final. I would assume many didn't stay in hotels. Or maybe some who were there on Friday went to the regional in Worcester. Crazy as that sounds.

The prices for tickets in Bridgeport were definitely higher than they are in Allentown. Can get a ticket for the final in Allentown for $25, all fees included. Who wants to carpool?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't follow college hockey enough. Is the fact Ohio State, Michigan, and ND are all gonna be in the Frozen Four a sign that Power 5 money of the Big 10 is starting to turn that into the top league?

Reaction Score
Other leagues can still compete with the Big Ten. Yes, their conference attracts solid coaches and players. It's only 6 jobs/squads in the Big Ten. Michigan hired away a Michigan Tech alum from Michigan Tech after Berenson retired. But Michigan Tech could have beat Notre Dame and Northeastern could have beat Michigan. Michigan and BU were tied in the third period. The Big Ten got lucky this season. Can't believe how some games went down.

Reaction Score
Interestingly enough, the regional final in Bridgeport had a higher attendance number than the regional finals in Worcester and Allentown. Should keep Bridgeport in the rotation for a while.

Reaction Score
PC hockey fans are very here and there and have not shown the willingness to travel with their team. They don't consistently sell out their 3,000 home rink despite having a very, very solid program but did sell VERY well in the two regionals that were held in Providence last year and in '15. At the same rate there were virtually no PC fans at the Garden for the Hockey East championship. Not surprising that they didn't travel well to Bridgeport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom