2018 Hockey East Preview - Connecticut (McMahon @ Mack Report)

Discussion in 'UConn Hockey' started by huskymedic, Sep 10, 2018.

1. huskymedic

huskymedic

2. Guapo

Guapo

3. huskymedic

huskymedic

Yeah - he acknowledged the freshman goal metric is throwing things off in his model.

Guapo likes this.
  4. brasssbonanzaa

brasssbonanzaa

Not even deep down, he readily acknowledges that were he making the predictions based on his own thoughts, he would not pick UConn last. It doesn't make sense, they are most definitely not the worst team in the league. Top eight make the conference tournament now, I'd be very surprised if UConn's not in it.

Guapo likes this.
  5. mac2351

mac2351

A lot of things would have to go wrong for this team to finish last. I think they will be fighting for the 7 or 8 seed.

The two biggest questions are the performance of the defensemen and how much offense will the team receive from the freshmen.

Iskhakov, Howarth, Kondelik, Evans, and Turnbull are going to have to be important contributors on offense. From what I have read about Iskhakov, he has the skill set of a first rounder but the problem lies in the fact he is only 5’7”, 165 lbs and just turned 18. Kondelik is only 18, also. Howarth has to be expected to provide scoring from the outset.

Can Payusov replicate and/or improve upon his breakout season? He will need to for the team’s sake.

After Karashik, Gendron, and Nyberg, a lot remains to be seen from the defensemen.

How well Iskhakov, Kondelik, Howarth, Huska, and Vomacka play will have a big say on whether this team makes the playoffs.

6. BigJim84

BigJim84

I am Expecting breakout years from Gendron and El Mir and if the other returning players show improvement along with the stud freshman we will e competitive for a playoff spot.

TheDoggPound likes this.
  7. TheDoggPound

TheDoggPound

One glaring weakness is depth on defense. A couple injuries there could cripple our season.