2018 Draft and Kelsey Plum | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2018 Draft and Kelsey Plum

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That's an interesting dilemma. If you're the Aces, and all 3 are both still on the board, who do you take, Katie Lou, or McCowan/Brown?

If I'm Laimbeer, I have no issue trading either Jefferson or Plum, based on who I decide to keep, since I did not draft either one one them. If I can package one of them in a trade for a big guard that I like, I do it.

Try and trade the pick and Plum for Loyd if you can. Seattle needs size, which they’ll get in McCowan, and Plum going home to Seattle makes sense. She can also compete with Canada for a spot as Sue likely retires in the next few years. Now Vegas has a loaded team of Loyd/McBride/Wilson. Win win for both.

All of this changes depending on how 2018-19 unfolds. No one thought McCowan would develop into the dominant force she did last year, and she still has massive upside. If she makes big strides offensively, she might be too good to pass up at 1, at which point you’d still want to trade the pick since I don’t see her playing well alongside Wilson, but some teams will make big offers for McCowan straight up.

Bill Laimbeer does love bigs though, so my guess is if they get a top pick, he’s going for a big and keeping her.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I meant that only in the sense that there is nothing physical or mental preventing Plum from ultimately becoming as good as Whalen. Time will tell.

They’re very different players—Whalen is a true PG through and through, and she is strong and finishes well through contact. Plum is quicker and better at creating her own shot and knocking down triples. Whalen from the get go adjusted well as a starting PG in the W and is one of the all time greats. Plum is not a natural pass first point guard and doesn’t pass as well or see the floor like Whalen. In that sense, mentally they are very different IMO. You could say the same thing about Lindsey Allen, whose game is more similar to Whalen’s in that she’s a pass first PG who doesn’t shoot well from the outside. Obviously their experience differs quite a bit, but I don’t think we’ll ever see Plum evolve into an all time great like Whalen has.

Reaction Score
The real issue is whether she should have been taken #1 in the 2017 draft which was historically weak.

WNBA Draft 2017 - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Based on how the 2017 round 1 draftee's are doing now, I would say she is doing as well this year as all of them and better than most so on talent alone, it is not unreasonable especially since Coates has underachieved. The dallas picks Gray and Davis had better rookie campaigns but I thinly they have plateaued and met their level while Sykes is a surprise that I think caught most by surprise but is also plateauing a bit.

I think the real issue is whether she was the right pick for the Aces with Moriah Jefferson and the gap of a post. Well, I think MJ and Plum can play together and they dodged the Coates bullet. If they are in the lottery this year, they will have a good chance at true dominant posts like Brown or McGowan.
Just two starters currently from 2017 1st round. Plum and Gray.
Nia Coffey trending down fast. She has played her way out of a starting position and into a perennial back up and if it continues out of the W in two years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Plum is adjusting nicely. I wasn't sure her overall game would translate to the W but after a slow start she's playing well. No offense to Vicki Johnson but Lambeer is a more experienced coach who may be able to help her game develop more effectively. Plum is unlikely to be a star in the league but she can be a productive player if she keeps improving.

The 17 draft was largely a weak one, due in part to the class of 13 players who wound up coming in to the league in 18 due to transfer.

Reaction Score
They’re very different players—Whalen is a true PG through and through, and she is strong and finishes well through contact. Plum is quicker and better at creating her own shot and knocking down triples. Whalen from the get go adjusted well as a starting PG in the W and is one of the all time greats. Plum is not a natural pass first point guard and doesn’t pass as well or see the floor like Whalen. In that sense, mentally they are very different IMO. You could say the same thing about Lindsey Allen, whose game is more similar to Whalen’s in that she’s a pass first PG who doesn’t shoot well from the outside. Obviously their experience differs quite a bit, but I don’t think we’ll ever see Plum evolve into an all time great like Whalen has.
If Plum and Jefferson work out platooning that makes Allen history with Aces minutes wise. Hopefully she showed enough that she lands somewhere else like she’s managed to do before if she’s released.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Plum and Jefferson work out platooning that makes Allen history with Aces minutes wise. Hopefully she showed enough that she lands somewhere else like she’s managed to do before if she’s released.
I think that Lindsay Allen and Saniya Chong can play at this level.

Las Vegas is better, partly because they have added talent, and New York is worse with about the same roster. I think Laimbeer’s switch is a factor in both cases.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think that Lindsay Allen and Saniya Chong can play at this level.

Las Vegas is better, partly because they have added talent, and New York is worse with about the same roster. I think Laimbeer’s switch is a factor in both cases.

Allen can stick with the right team. She’s a fantastic distributor and passer, so she needs teammates who are strong offensively since she isn’t a great scoring option. I don’t think Chong is a WNBA caliber player. I was surprised she lasted as long as she did. Surprised a lot of people last year by making a final roster and sticking for the whole season.

Reaction Score
Allen can stick with the right team. She’s a fantastic distributor and passer, so she needs teammates who are strong offensively since she isn’t a great scoring option. I don’t think Chong is a WNBA caliber player. I was surprised she lasted as long as she did. Surprised a lot of people last year by making a final roster and sticking for the whole season.

I agree. Chong doesn't really have enough skills on offense, defense nor is a strong ball handler. Her likelihood of getting in the league again for an extended period is small. Allen has a bit more of a shot to be a strong backup and give some relief minutes.

Reaction Score
I could totally see Las Vegas taking Lou. Indiana and NY both need size in the paint. Brown and McCowan could help both of those teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom