2018 Baseball Roster is Up! | The Boneyard

2018 Baseball Roster is Up!

Reaction Score
@Stairmaster knows by now that I'm crazy enough to look for these roster changes.

Finally, a roster! I’m a bit surprised that a roster that is posted this late still has cuts to be made. Still, I’m glad something is up.

While several players have been cut, one player has been added since the alumni game. Karl Johnson, a freshman RHP from Fairfield Prep. Johnson was originally slated to attend and play baseball at Army West Point.

Here are the players who have dropped off the fall roster:

Robby Jones
AJ Denny
Connor Anstis
Tommy Sand
Sean Melaven
Dan Steiner
Jimmy Wang

So with 39 players, 4 more cuts still have to be made. Transfers Paul Gozzo and Nate Panzer are not eligible to play this season, but I’m guessing they have to make the final roster, especially if they are getting any baseball scholarship money. Anyway, I’m guessing the following five players are competing for the one remaining roster spot, unless a higher profile freshman or returning player gets cut as well.

Vinnie Pallisco – 1B - JUCO from Avery Point
Avery Santos – RHP - JUCO from Avery Point
Caleb Wurster - RHP
Karl Johnson - RHP
Justin Lanese - Inf

Without these five players, UConn has 16 pitchers on the roster. Based on that, I’m guessing one of the pitchers will make the team to up the number of pitchers to 17.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
@Stairmaster knows by now that I'm crazy enough to look for these roster changes.

Finally, a roster! I’m a bit surprised that a roster that is posted this late still has cuts to be made. Still, I’m glad something is up.

While several players have been cut, one player has been added since the alumni game. Karl Johnson, a freshman RHP from Fairfield Prep. Johnson was originally slated to attend and play baseball at Army West Point.

Here are the players who have dropped off the fall roster:

Robby Jones
AJ Denny
Connor Anstis
Tommy Sand
Sean Melaven
Dan Steiner
Jimmy Wang

So with 39 players, 4 more cuts still have to be made. Transfers Paul Gozzo and Nate Panzer are not eligible to play this season, but I’m guessing they have to make the final roster. If that is the case, I’m guessing the following five players are competing for the one remaining roster spot, unless a higher profile freshman or returning player gets cut as well.

Vinnie Pallisco – 1B - JUCO from Avery Point
Avery Santos – RHP - JUCO from Avery Point
Caleb Wurster - RHP
Karl Johnson - RHP
Justin Lanese - Inf

Without these five players, UConn has 16 pitchers on the roster. Based on that, I’m guessing one of the pitchers will make the team to up the number of pitchers to 17.

Pallisco and Santos were the only ones to receive mention in the preview videos, so I have a hunch it'd be one of them.

Reaction Score
Pallisco and Santos were the only ones to receive mention in the preview videos, so I have a hunch it'd be one of them.

I don't recall Avery Santos getting a mention, I'll have to go back and give another listen. Both are from Avery Point, so having one of them on the roster would keep the track record of having an ex Pointer on the roster. I like that.

Avery Santos was cut last season after having to undergo Tommy John surgery late in the fall. I have the idea that if it weren't for the surgery he may have made last year's team.

Reaction Score
I might be getting a little ahead of myself for my own good, but I just found the 2018 UConn Baseball Media Guide and 2018 Quick Facts posted under the Team Links tab in the Baseball section of the UConn Athletics website. Both these web publications contain the same 35 man roster. I'm hoping it accurately reflects the final cuts to the team. If not, I apologize ahead of time.

Here's a link:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools.../auto_pdf/2017-18/quick_facts/quick_facts.pdf

According to this roster, the last four players cut from the team include the two transfers Paul Gozzo and Nate Panzer, who both have to sit out the season. From my understanding, players not receiving baseball scholarship money may be cut from the team, so I they apparently are not on scholarship for this season. I would think they would both be able to try out and make the team next season, just as Ben Maycock did this year after being cut last season.

The two other players cut are Justin Lanese and Karl Johnson.

Avery Point transfers Vinnie Pallisco and Avery Santos make the team, in addition to freshman Caleb Wurster.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For those that don’t want to follow the links.....
AA843D28-A68C-447D-B4D1-A49465391788.jpeg

Reaction Score
Freshman RHP Karl Johnson is another player who is not eligible to play this season due to his transfer from Army to UConn. Like Paul Gozzo and Nate Panzer, he will be able join up again with the UConn baseball team next fall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom