2018 3x3 FIBA World Cup | The Boneyard

2018 3x3 FIBA World Cup

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
The US team, seeded 13th to start, has swept its pool (including a 21-13 win over Russia, the tournament favorite) and will play Italy in the semifinals on June 12th (actually late June 11th in the US). This is the same team that swept the US competition earlier this year--with all 4 players from Oregon (Sabrina Ionescu, Ruthy Hebard, Oti Gildon, and Erin Boley). They are also the youngest team in the tournament. In case anyone who isn't a Duck fan is interested, I believe that all of the remaining games will be available on ESPN 3.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The US team, seeded 13th to start, has swept its pool (including a 21-13 win over Russia, the tournament favorite) and will play Italy in the semifinals on June 12th (actually late June 11th in the US). This is the same team that swept the US competition earlier this year--with all 4 players from Oregon (Sabrina Ionescu, Ruthy Hebard, Oti Gildon, and Erin Boley). They are also the youngest team in the tournament. In case anyone who isn't a Duck fan is interested, I believe that all of the remaining games will be available on ESPN 3.

According to 4 Oregon Ducks represent United States in FIBA 3x3 World Cup

The games are live on ESPN3 but the times are most likely inconvenient for most. Therefore, it is nice that ESPN3 seems they keep a running archive link in the replay tab to all the 3 x 3 games (mens and womens).

It is now > 8 hours long and the Russia - USA match is around the 2 hour mark. Ionescu took the game over and just has such a presence. Can't take your eyes off of her. I also found the the announcer to be very good and funny.

"Ranked 13 my arse".

Also found it interesting to see the Iranian team playing with their hajib's/

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I was able to watch all 4 games thru Apple TV on ESPN3. I waited till the next day so i could fast forward to their specific games.

The Ducks are just reppin’ the US and doing their thing. Ionescu being her crafty self leading the US to wins. When they said seeded 13th i was a little taken by that but i guess being the underdog has its positive spin. I thought the Russia game would be a L or close but Sabrina turned it on. Most interesting thing I’ve noticed watching is all the 3’s Boley takes. She is 6’2 but prefers the outside to the lane. I felt she could have taken some of the players guarding her into the post and make a move. She did have a few nice drives. All in all they did a great job.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
...Also found it interesting to see the Iranian team playing with their hajib's/

It’s actually a “hijab.” I have had several students and friends who wear them. It’s as meaningful for them as the cross I wear around my neck.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It’s actually a “hijab.” I have had several students and friends who wear them. It’s as meaningful for them as the cross I wear around my neck.
Thanks for the correction.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
US loses to Italy 17-14 in the quarters. Ionescu was under pressure all game and did not shoot well at the end. Italy made alot of 2 pt shots and their guards could get open almost at will (small and slithery). The games unfortunately are on ESPN+ (4.99 / mo) . Maybe will be put later into the free ESPN3 service ???

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
US loses to Italy 17-14 in the quarters. Ionescu was under pressure all game and did not shoot well at the end. Italy made alot of 2 pt shots and their guards could get open almost at will (small and slithery). The games unfortunately are on ESPN+ (4.99 / mo) . Maybe will be put later into the free ESPN3 service ???

Well.If you have to be eliminated, it is best you are eliminated by the eventual gold medal team ITALY. Their little guard was the MVP of the tournament. Not even close.

Reaction Score
the USA team is going to have to be chosen earlier and train more if it want's to win in this format............there's obviously more to it then just pure basketball skill..........

Reaction Score
Well.If you have to be eliminated, it is best you are eliminated by the eventual gold medal team ITALY. Their little guard was the MVP of the tournament. Not even close.
They probably should have included another guard instead of all the bigs. Watching the 3x3 under sixteens it became evident that smaller quick teams would gave the larger teams who could not match up fits. The fact that there are only 3 defenders on the court gives the advantage to those that utilize quickness. Of course Oregon didn't have another guard that was eligible to represent the USA. When Sabrina was off the court Oregon would have been at an extreme disadvantage.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
the USA team is going to have to be chosen earlier and train more if it want's to win in this format..there's obviously more to it then just pure basketball skill.....
Like the Pan Am games, this is a unlimited age competition where the US sends college players and the rest of the world sends pros. US talent is not so superior to survive age as well as training and practice.

Reaction Score
Like the Pan Am games, this is a unlimited age competition where the US sends college players and the rest of the world sends pros. US talent is not so superior to survive age as well as training and practice.

you're right......I just checked some of the ages of the Italian players......one is 33 another is 28..........so if that is the case why don't we send some of our pros.......even WNBA castoffs if the tournament is during the WNBA season?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
you're right.I just checked some of the ages of the Italian players.one is 33 another is 28.....so if that is the case why don't we send some of our pros..even WNBA castoffs if the tournament is during the WNBA season?

Our 3 x 3 team went to the tournament after winning the trials competition in Colorado. Did all teams at the trials have to be College players or could an older semipro team be part of it and therefore potential represent the US in the championships??

Reaction Score
Our 3 x 3 team went to the tournament after winning the trials competition in Colorado. Did all teams at the trials have to be College players or could an older semipro team be part of it and therefore potential represent the US in the championships??

I'm not aware of any professionals playing out there.........3x3 seems to be growing internationally......if the USA is going to be involved they should enter the strongest possible team.........perhaps they could also add U16 and U18 team play....

Reaction Score
UcMiami said:
you're right.I just checked some of the ages of the Italian players.one is 33 another is 28.....so if that is the case why don't we send some of our pros..even WNBA castoffs if the tournament is during the WNBA season?

USAB held a tournament to select the team to send to FIBA. The players put together their own teams. There were no age restrictions on the players. Several teams were much older than the Ducks, some into late 20s and 30s. In fact the Ducks were probably the youngest team in the USAB tournament but won anyway. I believe Phee was on a team that included Arike Ogunbawale.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom