2018-2019 CBB Discussion Thread | The Boneyard

2018-2019 CBB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice to see he got in shape for another school, but not Uconn.
True, but also...

Jackson, who averaged 8.1 points and 26 minutes per game as a freshman, met with Ollie after last season and wanted to know what the plan was for him to be able to develop into more than just a spot-up shooter.

"Get in the gym," Ollie said, according to a source close to Jackson.

"[Jackson] wanted a clear plan going forward," the source said. "He didn't want to transfer, but there was no plan."

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
True, but also...

Jackson, who averaged 8.1 points and 26 minutes per game as a freshman, met with Ollie after last season and wanted to know what the plan was for him to be able to develop into more than just a spot-up shooter.

"Get in the gym," Ollie said, according to a source close to Jackson.

"[Jackson] wanted a clear plan going forward," the source said. "He didn't want to transfer, but there was no plan."

Maybe that was Ollie’s nice way of saying he needed to be in better shape?

the Q

Reaction Score
Come on. The kid was really good for a freshman. Any decent coach would have come up with a plan to feature him in the offense.

I agree that I’m not thrilled these guys didn’t give players personally designed plans, but Jackson’s conditioning should be fair game for questioning.

Reaction Score
I agree that I’m not thrilled these guys didn’t give players personally designed plans, but Jackson’s conditioning should be fair game for questioning.

Vance shot 48% from 3 point range as a freshman in league play and 55% from three during an AAU summer. His conditioning and productivity were far better than the coaching he received.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone doubts he was a good player for us. Clearly he wanted a bigger role here and direction from his coach. He should have been treated better.

Best of luck to Jackson-5. I hope he makes it.

While I think his dad is a turd, after seeing Ollie laid bare, I think it's really hard to fault any of the kids for transferring. At the time, it was in their best interest.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Vance shot 48% from 3 point range as a freshman in league play and 55% from three during an AAU summer. His conditioning and productivity were far better than the coaching he received.

Shooting has absolutely nothing to do with conditioning. So yeah, still fair. But I'd put much of that to lack of coaching/mentorship.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Huskybass. Hit the nail on the head. He was good as a freshmen. He just needed to bulk up a bit, get a Little tougher and tighten up his d. He had good moves and handle for a forward and we kno with the right coaching his shot wudda been wet. Thx Ollie- I really liked him.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What does it say about Ollie and the coaching staff when they let a top 50 recruit go and he wanted to leave so badly that he agreed to sit out a year and transfer to freaking New Mexico. Really?

What does it say about the top 50 recruit that that’s where he ended up?

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see how those transfers end up. Jackson and Durham had the most upside.

Just glad we got our coach and he's getting the type of talent we need.

Reaction Score
Shooting has absolutely nothing to do with conditioning. So yeah, still fair. But I'd put much of that to lack of coaching/mentorship.

Shooting has a lot to do with conditioning. When your legs are gone, it certainly effects your shot. Vance was a far better player than Ollie was a coach. I am sure you will see that on the court this season.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Shooting has a lot to do with conditioning. When your legs are gone, it certainly effects your shot. Vance was a far better player than Ollie was a coach. I am sure you will see that on the court this season.

He played about 25min per game. It's not like he was playing 38 and tired.

His problems physically were strength and quickness. I did not see him tugging his shorts often in 2016.

Reaction Score
Doesn’t say much because Durham and Enoch ended up at way better schools than Vance Jackson and he was obviously way better than both of them At least going by the eye test watching him play last year

Reaction Score
Maybe that was Ollie’s nice way of saying he needed to be in better shape?
Yes, but what is the point of a coach if that is the response given? The kid needed guidance and got a generic response. Coach is coach for a reason, they tell you what you need (not want) to hear, guide you, work on individual plans for improvement and elaborate when needed and in that case, clearly (and rightfully so) more detail was required.

the Q

Reaction Score
I’m just curious how Kansas underachieves again after not doing so for the first time since 2008.

the Q

Reaction Score
Yes, but what is the point of a coach if that is the response given? The kid needed guidance and got a generic response. Coach is coach for a reason, they tell you what you need (not want) to hear, guide you, work on individual plans for improvement and elaborate when needed and in that case, clearly (and rightfully so) more detail was required.

I agree with you. I can’t imagine that was the only thing said during that discussion, but I already said previously here that each player needed their own summer plan. Whaley and Wilson needed to lift heavy stuff, and tag team the buffet line. A lot. Etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom