2017 WNBA Mock Draft, 4/03/2017 | The Boneyard

2017 WNBA Mock Draft, 4/03/2017

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Plum is certainly the plum pick of the draft :rolleyes: , but otherwise I would not rate this draft all that highly. Next year's draft is loaded with Gabby, DD, Mitchell, Wilson, Canada, and a bunch of other top-caliber players.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hope San Antonio goes McCall or Akhator if they insist on drafting a center at 5. I really enjoy watching Osahor but I think defensively she is going to be a huge liability.

This is definitely a draft about which one could ask "Where's the beef?' to which I would answer 2018! Almost all the talent is in the guards and wings. with limited forwards/centers.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Plum is certainly the plum pick of the draft :rolleyes: , but otherwise I would not rate this draft all that highly. Next year's draft is loaded with Gabby, DD, Mitchell, Wilson, Canada, and a bunch of other top-caliber players.
Part of that is eight of the top ten from HS in this class are it appears all playing their fifth college year. Have yet to hear from the two at SC.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
If Kaela Davis comes out early she will be top10 solely based on her NCAA showing IMO.

Reaction Score
Hope San Antonio goes McCall or Akhator if they insist on drafting a center at 5. I really enjoy watching Osahor but I think defensively she is going to be a huge liability.

The only team I would want to see take Osahor is Minnesota because they run so much offense through their posts passing. I don't think defense is going to be the issue for Osahor as for someone like Brionna Jones. Osahor is actually pretty light on her feet and can actually jump so I worry about her less there. I worry about her health, apparently she didn't practice much in college and if she can sore at all in the WNBA. Yes, she can make 3s but she doesn't seem to shoot them consistently enough. With her shooting form she can't get off a contested mid-range jump shot and she's probably not scoring in the post as her height in the WNBA.

McCall has a professional game in my opinion somewhat like Kiah Stokes, although she's not on Kiah's level defensively. Just let her run the floor, rebound, defend, and play offense in the pick and roll/pop. She can be in some team's rotation.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The only team I would want to see take Osahor is Minnesota because they run so much offense through their posts passing. I don't think defense is going to be the issue for Osahor as for someone like Brionna Jones. Osahor is actually pretty light on her feet and can actually jump so I worry about her less there. I worry about her health, apparently she didn't practice much in college and if she can sore at all in the WNBA. Yes, she can make 3s but she doesn't seem to shoot them consistently enough. With her shooting form she can't get off a contested mid-range jump shot and she's probably not scoring in the post as her height in the WNBA.

McCall has a professional game in my opinion somewhat like Kiah Stokes, although she's not on Kiah's level defensively. Just let her run the floor, rebound, defend, and play offense in the pick and roll/pop. She can be in some team's rotation.
In the W most of the centers and PFs can really run the floor and most can hit from 15' - Osahor has incredible short area quickness which has allowed her to be effective in the low post on both ends, but she has primarily defended as a center zone defender, hanging in the middle withing 5 feet of the basket which you can't do in the W. Her defending a Tina Charles type - big trouble. Agree about her struggling some on offense with taller defenders, but her quickness does surprise lots of people - but they do scout in the W so that any weakness will be exploited and strengths adjusted to. You play the same 12 teams and same 12 players over and over and they get to know you very well.

Reaction Score
Really weak draft. I'm curious to see how Plum does at the pro level.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed Osahor's and Wiese's college careers, but both seem like a stretch according to that mock draft. It does look like a generally weak draft overall.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed Osahor's and Wiese's college careers, but both seem like a stretch according to that mock draft. It does look like a generally weak draft overall.
Weiss they project at #6 which is pretty high - same as Stef or Bria as I remember.
I was hoping Saniya's late season performance would pull her out of the third round to low in the second. Not quite there but who knows?
Saniya's prospects will hinge on what happens on the court in training camp - the chance of making a team out of the second round isn't much better than the third or undrafted.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Any news on K. Davis or A. Gray?

If Peterson plays with Tiff and Angel, that will be a very quick and possibly frenetic team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom