2017 UConn JUCO Commit - Eli Thomas (Elmira New York) (Edited from 2018 to late 2017 enrollee) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2017 UConn JUCO Commit - Eli Thomas (Elmira New York) (Edited from 2018 to late 2017 enrollee)

Reaction Score
Richie Schnyderite‏ @RichieSRivals 4m 4 minutes ago
#UConn has landed a commitment from a JUCO LB

Eli Thomas is a 6-2 220lb LB/Safety from Elmira New York attending Lackawanna College (Dec Grad) Scranton PA. Other offers from CCSU, Sacred Heart and Wagner. He was just up to UConn this past weekend. He will enroll in January and have two years of eligibility left.

Freshman Year @ Lackawanna Film

Interesting that in an article earlier this week by Richie S - Thomas said "I’m not going to commit anywhere until after the season. I’m looking for a competitive school, and one that is eager to win. I also want to be a part of a program that prepares you for the next level as well as life after football,”<<

Mind changed...

On changing his mind on holding off committing till after his season (Richie S @ Storrs Central):

>>Originally Thomas said he was planning on holding off on a decision until after the season. However he recently had a change of heart after the visit.“Realizing how much my mother loved it, and really thinking about the opportunity at hand. I decided to commit,” Thomas said.<<

Reaction Score

>>Thomas, at 6-foot-2 and 220 pounds, has put on 40 pounds of muscle since high school while still retaining the 4.5-second 40-yard dash speed that presented so many problems for Express opponents and is a big reason UConn is giving him this chance.

"A lot of schools noticed I played sideline to sideline a lot," he said. "That's what they liked about me. My speed is definitely one of my biggest assets."<<

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
YES! Reminds me of Tyler Matekevich. A little undersized, but makes blockers miss. I love going the JC route. Outside of WR, our junior class is down.
If he turns out to be 3/4 of TM, He will be in the running for my favorite Husky of all time. Seems much smaller than Matekevich, who IIRC was wide and low to the ground.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

>>Thomas, at 6-foot-2 and 220 pounds, has put on 40 pounds of muscle since high school while still retaining the 4.5-second 40-yard dash speed that presented so many problems for Express opponents and is a big reason UConn is giving him this chance.

"A lot of schools noticed I played sideline to sideline a lot," he said. "That's what they liked about me. My speed is definitely one of my biggest assets."<<

I guess what I didn't notice the first time is that he did not play last fall. He really hasn't played that much at all since getting injured in high school. UConn has taken this kid based on his camp performance and his spring football practice performance for Lackawanna.

Anyways, I'm still bullish.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Can he redshirt this year and still get 2 years?
I dunno, but between Buss, Levenberry and Thomas, we certainly have some interesting eligibility questions.

Reaction Score
I always figured he'd be an early enrollee (like January 2018) - not September 2017!

Be interesting to see where he lands eligibility wise all said and done.

Reaction Score
Plays like Deacon Jones. Probably a bit faster though.

Deacon Jones? Boy that brought back memories of the Fearsome Foursome:
Rosey Grier, Lamar Lundy, Merlin Olsen and Deacon Jones of the Los Angeles Rams in the late 60's and early 70's. They were a wrecking crew and fun to watch!

IMG_0442.JPG

Reaction Score
Uh did I miss something or is this unexpected good news?
I think I misinterpreted his comment too.. Just checked the roster.. He's not on it...

Reaction Score
I think I misinterpreted his comment too.. Just checked the roster.. He's not on it...

He did one year @ Lackawanna. He would (pending special circumstances) have to sit a year anyways? He's in-house, taking classes. It's a good thing in my mind. Number of years of future eligibility TBD based on circumstances.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Prefer to have him enrolled at UConn, adjusting, learning the system, growing with the teammates, using our facilities. Solid decision. Plus, we don't have to worry about him blowing up at JUCO and someone else coming in.

Reaction Score
I would think he'd be able to practice, assuming he had no issues qualifying. But if he couldn't qualify academically, he probably wouldn't have even been admitted anyway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom