2017 Recruiting Thread | Page 29 | The Boneyard

2017 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Love Pierre's enthusiasm.

It would be really great at this point to land Maize, Field and Fornadel. Maize combined with Saulin would set the two DE positions for the recruiting class.

Meanwhile Field and Fornadel would get us started on the Oline with Keating. I would still want 3 more OL kids in this class for a total of 6 which would give us 14 all together. For the next ten I probably would look for two of each: a RB, WR, DT, and LB and one CB, one TE and possibly one QB. I have no idea how many scholarships we have next year, but we typically need to recruit about 24 kids each year. If we can't get to 24, then go with 1 RB, 5 OL recruits and maybe just 1 DT.

Who do we lose next year that gets serious playing time - my short list on the fly:
Noel Thomas
Fatusaki
M. Myers
Obi
Green
T. Myers
Knappe
Puyol
Others?
fatukasi is a junior so is myers

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Thanks. Below the list of RS Seniors and Seniors per the school website. J. Williams, Levy and Walsh are notable regulars we lose this year as well. I wouldn't mind another transfer QB this winter.

53 Andreas Knappe 6-8/325 Offensive Line RS SR Silkeborg, Denmark Handelsskolen Silkeborg
99 Sean Marinan 6-1/290 Defensive Line RS SR Higganum, Conn. Xavier
55 Jon Hicks 6-2/238 Linebacker RS SR Palmyra, Pa. Palmyra
20 Obi Melifonwu 6-3/217 Safety RS SR South Grafton, Mass. Grafton
7 John Green 5-10/190 Cornerback RS SR Miami, Fla. Felix Varela
54 Omaine Stephens 6-3/232 Linebacker RS SR East Orange, N.J. East Orange Campus
6 Jhavon Williams 5-10/187 Cornerback RS SR Delray Beach, Fla. Palm Beach Central
92 Mikal Myers 6-1/325 Defensive Line RS SR Newburgh, N.Y. Newburgh Free Academy
17 Bobby Puyol 5-10/183 Kicker RS SR North Palm Beach, Fla. Dwyer
94 Nicholas Lensander 6-2/247 Tight End RS SR Santa Barbara, Calif. Bishop Garcia Diego
71 Richard Levy 6-6/316 Offensive Line RS SR Trenton, N.J. Trenton West
42 Justin Wain 6-3/217 Punter RS SR Wilmington, N.C. Eugene Ashley
27 Nick Vitale 5-8/177 Cornerback RS SR Madison, Conn. Daniel Hand
7 Garrett Anderson 6-1/224 Quarterback SR Walnut Creek, Calif. Berean Christian
5 Noel Thomas, Jr. 6-1/202 Wide Receiver SR Norwalk, Conn. St. Luke's School
36 Matthew Walsh 6-1/240 Linebacker SR Madison, Conn. Daniel Hand
18 Brian Lemelle 5-10/175 Wide Receiver SR Harrisburg, Pa. Bishop McDevit

Reaction Score
Has anybody heard anything about Zach Davis out of Sheehan in Wallingford? He has 1956 rushing yards through 6 games, and 26 rushing touchdowns.

Reaction Score

I bet we lose a few RS Jrs after this season (i.e. Schafenacker, Stevens)... wouldn't be too surprised if Fatukasi tests out well in NFL scout drills and potentially opts for a shot in the NFL...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Now that CRA is shut down, lets get back to recruiting. Where is the speed in this year's class? We need OL and speed.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
For those who wonder about these kinds of things...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
For those who wonder about these kinds of things...

So that's where the hookers and booze fall under. Must have been pink sheets. No way those are even NASDAQ, let alone Blue chippers.

Reaction Score
Josh Helmholdt@JoshHelmholdt 2 hours ago
Chicagoland 3* DE Josh Maize has a Top 3 of#UConn#CMU and #Toledo, but #Cuse and others are watching him this fall

JH is the Rvals Midwest guy. Cherry picking the article:

>>“I like UConn’s Coach (Bob) Diaco. He’s a great defensive coach and he wants to use me in a lot of interesting ways.<<

>>“I have definitely talked with UConn about getting out there and taking an official visit,” Maize said. “Most of my offers are in the Midwest, so I have already been to those schools. UConn is the only school right now I have decided to definitely take an official visit to. “I’m good friends with Ian Swenson, who plays at Loyola and is committed to UConn. We know it is going to be in December and once the season ends we’ll pick that date which works for both of us.”<<

... but he is clearly open to other options: Cincy, PSU, Illinois, Iowa State and Cuse like his film and he will look @ other official visit options based on that.

Reaction Score
I'm really worried about this class. Do you know how many ships we have medic?

Reaction Score
I'm really worried about this class. Do you know how many ships we have medic?

I'm not sure what we will have "open" definitively but by roster there are 13 RS Seniors and 4 true Seniors (Anderson, Walsh, Thomas and Lemelle - no eligibility left).

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what we will have "open" definitively but by roster there are 13 RS Seniors and 4 true Seniors (Anderson, Walsh, Thomas and Lemelle - no eligibility left).

woof... not looking good then

Reaction Score
woof... not looking good then

Eh... we have 9 known. At this time last year we had 8 we ended up w/ 21 including transfers and PWO all said and done. Unfortunately (imo) we need other programs (read P5) to get closer to their "numbers by position" and then I would imagine it will pick up again. Still have kid hedging bets.

Reaction Score
Eh... we have 9 known. At this time last year we had 8 we ended up w/ 21 including transfers and PWO all said and done. Unfortunately (imo) we need other programs (read P5) to get closer to their "numbers by position" and then I would imagine it will pick up again. Still have kid hedging bets.

I hope so. There are a couple Connecticut kids left that I'd like us to offer. One is Hunter Cobb from Newtown.

Hunter Cobb on Hudl

He's outshined Ben Mason all over the field this year.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I hope so. There are a couple Connecticut kids left that I'd like us to offer. One is Hunter Cobb from Newtown.

Hunter Cobb on Hudl

He's outshined Ben Mason all over the field this year.

Looks pretty good but how is his size and speed. Those are big questions to be answered. Uconn needs five lineman in this class and thats the bottom line

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
C'mon, you really think I missed that? I'd wait for the process to play out then make a decision but that's just me.

Two-star kid with no other D1 offers...many better players without the baggage exist.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
C'mon, you really think I missed that? I'd wait for the process to play out then make a decision but that's just me.
I can't tell, are you pissed at Stairmaster for posting this (ie the "miss" reference) or his rush to judgement?

I like the kids highlights very much, absolutely bursts through the hole with great speed. The competition however looks absolutely putrid, which is no surprise since on a per capital basis fewer places can rival upstate NY in terms of low quality football place (low per capital D1 recruits). The kids speed remains me of a taller DeShon Foxx. His style might not translate at the higher level given he runs upright, but you teach that speed, so I would like to have him.

As for the arrest, it does set off the alarm bells. Need to see how it plays out.

Reaction Score
Stumbled across this while looking @ MA playoff ranking/brackets.

Inside The Huddle MA ‏@IThuddleMA Oct 14
Top 50 Football recruit rankings for Massachusetts class of 2017
Top 50 Massachusetts: Recruit Rankings / Database…

Couple of 2017 Commit mentions:

#17 - Jordan McAfee – Everett HS – Committed to UCONN – McAfee has had a roller coaster high school career starting as a sophomore QB at a perrenial state power where he fell just short of a state title. McAfee then missed most of his junior campaign due to illness but picked up a UCONN offer after receiving a BC offer as a sophomore. McAfee has all the tools to be a FBS QB and with his size McAfee will have a world of opportunity at UCONN.

#24 - Jake Byczco – Lawrence Academy – Committed to UCONN – Another TE from a talented Bay State class, Byczco had offers from FCS schools but chose to take his prowess to the FBS level.

Reaction Score
I can't tell, are you pissed at Stairmaster for posting this (ie the "miss" reference) or his rush to judgement?
Nah, all good - "pissed" is way too strong word on either account. I just chose not to post the unresolved off the field issue (maybe that is the dad in me typing). I get the incident/charge is a potential red flag and I would imagine that UConn is aware of it based on timing. We've had other kids across football/basketball who have had brushes w/ LE before they came to UConn and turned out ok.

They could be looking @ him for defense w/ that size/speed.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Nah, all good - "pissed" is way too strong word on either account. I just chose not to post the unresolved off the field issue (maybe that is the dad in me typing). I get the incident/charge is a potential red flag and I would imagine that UConn is aware of it based on timing. We've had other kids across football/basketball who have had brushes w/ LE before they came to UConn and turned out ok.

They could be looking @ him for defense w/ that size/speed.
Okay dude, I just wanted to understand because I read it as pissy and overly protective of what is largely your thread.

Alright, carry on.

Reaction Score
Has anybody heard anything about Zach Davis out of Sheehan in Wallingford? He has 1956 rushing yards through 6 games, and 26 rushing touchdowns.

Zach ran for 541 yards and 10 TDs tonight against Jonathan Law. Both are state records.

Reaction Score
Zach ran for 541 yards and 10 TDs tonight against Jonathan Law. Both are state records.
D - sorry I meant to get back to this and blew by it. Haven't heard/seen much about recruiting but the kid's breaking all sorts of records. He's moved into good company.

Ray Curren ‏@currenscc 27m 27 minutes ago
Unofficially, Davis' 37 TDs (36 rushing) are SCC record, beating Ervin Phillips (2013) and DeAngelo Berry (2012) both of whom had 35 #cthsfb

Ray Curren ‏@currenscc 23m 23 minutes ago
Zach Davis has also broken SCC record for rushing yards in a season (2,497) and is 11th all-time in state history. In 7 games. #cthsfb

Reaction Score
Haven't been to any Southington games this season. Just read today's Hartford Courant. The Blue Knights RB, LB Vance Upham was a 1 man wrecking crew against archrival New Britain last evening. He had over 200 yards rushing (to put him over 1000 yards for the season after 7 games) & was credited with numerous tackles from his linebacker position. Just curious as to how highly rated a prospect he is (FBS, FCS, Div. 2, Div.3). Would appreciate some knowledge from those who closely follow recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom