2017 Recruiting Thread | Page 76 | The Boneyard

2017 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While we twiddle our thumbs and stress out. Let's recap what is hanging in the lurch.

1) Pindell QB - vibes are good that he is coming.
2) Washington QB - radio silent.
3) Sheffield RB - word is the OV was positive.
4) Gardner LB - radio silent
5) Kayoute DL - looked happy in the OV twitter pic. hard to believe he is not coming.
6) Green DL - tweeted a UConn pick post OV. good sign?
7) Vollmer OL - taft prep kid did not take an official visit.
8) Hall WR - late offer by the staff - maybe Hairston took his seat at the table.
9) Transfers/Other surprises?

I want them all!

So my order of desire of the 7 remaining (not a prediction of likelihood) is as follow"

1. Sheffield. I just have a hunch he is going to be a really good player down he road.
2. Gardner. Clearly an athlete, if unsure about position, which is what Edsall loved in 1.0. Plus a chance to start getting off to a good start in CT.
3. Green.
4. Washington. Guessing Lashlee rates him above McAfee or we wouldn't be bothering, but not an immediate need.
5. Vollmer. Class already has an adequate number of OLs.
6. Kayoute. I've been saying since day 1 of 2.0 that we need to go back to speed rushers. Just not sure whether this is our guy or just the best we could find late.
7. Hall. I think his offer was gone when Hairston signed, and I'm not sure he was ever above Hairston anyway.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So my order of desire of the 7 remaining (not a prediction of likelihood) is as follow"

1. Sheffield. I just have a hunch he is going to be a really good player down he road.
2. Gardner. Clearly an athlete, if unsure about position, which is what Edsall loved in 1.0. Plus a chance to start getting off to a good start in CT.
3. Green.
4. Washington. Guessing Lashlee rates him above McAfee or we wouldn't be bothering, but not an immediate need.
5. Vollmer. Class already has an adequate number of OLs.
6. Kayoute. I've been saying since day 1 of 2.0 that we need to go back to speed rushers. Just not sure whether this is our guy or just the best we could find late.
7. Hall. I think his offer was gone when Hairston signed, and I'm not sure he was ever above Hairston anyway.

The thing about Gardner is that is he has a nimble explosive body for his 6'3'' build. Yes, he could be a RB in college, but I agree with the staff in that his combination of weight, speed and body size is well suited for LB. And we are going to need LBs. I know the roster is full at the moment, but in two years we'll have relatively few guys. Gardner could be the Lutrus/Wilson/Smallwood for 2018-2020 seasons.

If the staff manages to take Vollmer, I have to figure they know some OL kids on the current roster are leaving early. I think Vollmer adds value if you think he can play early with his post grad body.

Reaction Score
hmmm ....

I would say that made Pindell 100%. I like the "economy" of his throwing motion. He just flicks it ... and it is a bullet. Not a fastball pitcher; just direct and pointed. He did show touch on over the middle throws and outs. Plus ... he is really damn fast. At Lackawanna (when I look at his schedule), I see young men chasing him. Not 5'6" high school. And he zips around that end quick. Definitely beyond Shirreffs or Lorenzen in decisiveness and speed.

Gardner is rising to a really good slot. If he doesn't know where BC places him ... I say Lutrus, he knows. Crocker with both Cherry and the Danbury kid also used very effective LBs. This is a crucial pick for us. I think he is highly likely.
Sheffield - based on his alternative offers - is a solid plug at RB. We won't know much more until he is running live plays. He plays at a high FL league near Pensacola and, what we really should admire, he made the rounds to SEC and high level programs. He may have waited too long for some scholarship slots. He has nice offers ... but UConn is the best school, best schedule, most TV. We should have him.
Grant: I think he showed his cards. He is coming.
Kouyate: I like. There is a spark to his play. I am sure Edsall et al looked at a lot of kids for this role; Kouyate rose ... and we saw no other names. Standard slot in our RE 1.0.
I think Vollmer's urgency timed with Robert Holmes' commit. We would take the Big Kraut; but we have a full complement.
Can there be others we don't know? Always possible. We have scholarships available. Heard nothing about kickers (and we have a K and a P that hasn't played much ... we like to use the Sailor Academy kicking school; we might see an arrival). And Florida? Richardson often found a kid that had not landed after lots of buzz.

The other NOTABLE? Randy Edsall let his son Corey roam. I would say that both Grant and Hairston are from Corey Edsall's eyes. None of the other coaches probably ever looked west of the Mississippi.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Pudge, I think you meant Green instead of Grant.

Reaction Score
No confirmation of a commit from Pindell on his Twitter account as of yet. So, I'll try to hold back on my excitement for now.

I thought if staff could land either Pindell OR Washington, they'd be comfortable with the QB position. I'm still very confident McAfee is going to be a very good here. The coaching was sooooo bad, that I would look at all the QBs heading into spring ball with a clean slate.

Pindell - JUCO experience puts him in the mix to be the starting QB in 2017. Pindell reminds me of a former UConn recruit/commit who never ended up here, but I'll reserve that until we know for sure he's a Husky. He would be, without question, the most athletic QB UConn has had since DJ. He's a perfect fit for Lashlee's system. He makes you defend the whole field.

Washington - I think physically has all the tools to be the best QB here since Dan O. I really liked our chances until last night. I think he is really holding out for an offer from Florida. He's been pretty vocal about wanting to be a Gator. Then he tweeted this last night.....I really wanna go to school with my brother man ✊ @MIAMIJCG26, who committed to Tennessee St. I get the feeling he doesn't want to stray too far away from home.

Sherriffs - Brings toughness and leadership and if he comes back, he will compete to be the starter. I think with Lashlee's tutelage he can help this team win. Worst case scenario, he gives this team a veteran back-up QB, we know the team would rally around.

Williams - We still don't know what he'll be. He never should have taken a snap last year. He has the physical tools. He needs to clean up his throwing mechanics a bit. I think Lashlee being here could benefit him, as well. I'm not going to count him out just yet.

McAfee - To me, he's similar to Washington physically. He's also very smart. He played in a spread system, he will learn the offense quickly. He has great leadership skills, he's played against good competition, and he's a winner. I think he red shirts in 2017 and backs up Pindell in 2018.

Bisack - Physically, he looks like a college QB. He can sling it all over the field. Another very bright kid, who can pick the system up quickly. He also played in a spread system in high school. He's not as athletic as the other QBs, but I think he'll compete and push for a back up role.

Reaction Score
No confirmation of a commit from Pindell on his Twitter account as of yet. So, I'll try to hold back on my excitement for now.

I thought if staff could land either Pindell OR Washington, they'd be comfortable with the QB position. I'm still very confident McAfee is going to be a very good here. The coaching was sooooo bad, that I would look at all the QBs heading into spring ball with a clean slate.

Pindell - JUCO experience puts him in the mix to be the starting QB in 2017. Pindell reminds me of a former UConn recruit/commit who never ended up here, but I'll reserve that until we know for sure he's a Husky. He would be, without question, the most athletic QB UConn has had since DJ. He's a perfect fit for Lashlee's system. He makes you defend the whole field.

Washington - I think physically has all the tools to be the best QB here since Dan O. I really liked our chances until last night. I think he is really holding out for an offer from Florida. He's been pretty vocal about wanting to be a Gator. Then he tweeted this last night.....I really wanna go to school with my brother man ✊ @MIAMIJCG26, who committed to Tennessee St. I get the feeling he doesn't want to stray too far away from home.

Sherriffs - Brings toughness and leadership and if he comes back, he will compete to be the starter. I think with Lashlee's tutelage he can help this team win. Worst case scenario, he gives this team a veteran back-up QB, we know the team would rally around.

Williams - We still don't know what he'll be. He never should have taken a snap last year. He has the physical tools. He needs to clean up his throwing mechanics a bit. I think Lashlee being here could benefit him, as well. I'm not going to count him out just yet.

McAfee - To me, he's similar to Washington physically. He's also very smart. He played in a spread system, he will learn the offense quickly. He has great leadership skills, he's played against good competition, and he's a winner. I think he red shirts in 2017 and backs up Pindell in 2018.

Bisack - Physically, he looks like a college QB. He can sling it all over the field. Another very bright kid, who can pick the system up quickly. He also played in a spread system in high school. He's not as athletic as the other QBs, but I think he'll compete and push for a back up role.

Am I the only one who laughed out loud that the world has been turned upside down that a story reported by the Courant is viewed as unofficial by someone until he sees it on Twitter?

Reaction Score
New Haven Register Sean Patrick Bowley since deleted:

>>Updated #cthsfb NSD list: Windsor All-State LB TJ Gardner will now sign with UConn, coach Quinn Fleeting says<<

We'll see...

If I had to guess, I think it's more likely that Gardner wanted the coach to let him have some drama at the announcement tomorrow than that the coach had it wrong. But obviously we'll see.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who laughed out loud that the world has been turned upside down that a story reported by the Courant is viewed as unofficial by someone until he sees it on Twitter?
Crazy, right???

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, I think it's more likely that Gardner wanted the coach to let him have some drama at the announcement tomorrow than that the coach had it wrong. But obviously we'll see.

Coach's name is Rob Fleeting... that's the reason for the corrected tweet.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
idk why but I always get a kick out of seeing the other kids in the class and how they react to new kids joining. Tunstall and Hubbard seem so fired up I can't wait to get them on board officially:

Reaction Score
Aren't you the Cowboy fan? Just how has that worked for you since 1993?
If you're not a Steelers, Pats, or Giants fan you might want to hold off on badgering my Cowboys... 5 SB rings still... and don't be surprised if #6 comes in 2018...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom