2017 Recruiting Thread | Page 58 | The Boneyard

2017 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some recruiting perspective as Championship Sunday is about to kickoff.....

I don't really believe that. Brady went to Michigan as a two star? Ryan to BC as a 2 star? Rodgers to Cal as a 2 star? Ben I can believe went to Ohio as a 2 star.

EDIT. There were no stars when Brady was recruited. Baseball hurt his recruitment since he was a star catcher. But he had offers fromUSC, UCLA and Cal. Still there is something to this. Shows that the 3 stars are key.
Super Bowl 49: Not one starter was a 5-star recruit out of high school

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did you watch the video or read the story???
Brady 2*
Big Ben 3*
Ryan 3* (UConn offer)
Rodgers 2* (5'10, 165 -- coming out of high school)

I think the point they're making is that ALL four weren't highly regarded coming out of high school. Brady became a great QB, after he left Michigan. It's not like he lit it up in college.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The vast majority of players are 2 stars because the rating services don't have enough resources to accuarely rate all 10,000+ high school seniors.

Brady was barely a full time starter at any point at Michigan and was drafted 199 Overall. It is not out of the realm of possibility that Lloyd Carr made a mistake and was pressured to force Drew Hensen into action.

Reaction Score
Guessing Rhule has Saulin in this weekend for a visit.
From the Rhule-Saulin picture, the NYC-born and State College, PA-raised Rhule may have purchased his first pair of cowboy boots. Fish out of water or Martian crash landing on earth, looks like Rhule's working hard on fitting in to Wacky Waco. For Saulin or most Joisey or northeastern kids, talk about culture shock waiting to happen in one bizarro town!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like our chances if he left without committing.

I was thinking the same thing. That's a fairly decent sign considering he didn't commit to Temple on the spot.

Reaction Score
I wonder if we are looking at Gerrik Vollmer, a 6'5'' 280lbs OLineman from Taft. I believe his teammate Elliott Brown is visiting this weekend. Vollmer decommitted from Louisville in December. In the past couple days he has picked up offers from UMass, Buffalo and coaches from Temple visited.

http:// .com/Player/Gerrik-Vollmer-89449

Gerrik Vollmer@GerrikVollmer 3 hours ago
Had a amazing visit at Temple University! And Really excited about my 3rd Scholarship offer! #GoOwls @Ad13TU

Reaction Score

Todderick Hunt ‏@TodderickHunt 4m4 minutes ago
Offensive coordinator Jerry Kill delivered Devera his long awaited #Rutgers offer.

Was offered on O as an H-back personally for Kill's scheme. (UConn mention)

Brendan Devera® ‏@BrendanDevera 2h
20.jpg

Reaction Score
2017 DB Commits Abiola Bebe Olaniyan and Jordan Swann

They couldn't find out the kid's preferred numbers and iron the numbers on the jerseys? Bebe's looks like it was crumbled at the bottom of a laundry bin. Might seem like a dumb detail but it's all in the details with these visits, we need all the help we can get.

Reaction Score
They couldn't find out the kid's preferred numbers and iron the numbers on the jerseys? Bebe's looks like it was crumbled at the bottom of a laundry bin. Might seem like a dumb detail but it's all in the details with these visits, we need all the help we can get.

For real?? What makes you think that's not his preferred number? He's also trying a jersey on over a hoodie.

Reaction Score
For real?? What makes you think that's not his preferred number? He's also trying a jersey on over a hoodie.

I think it's his preferred number, the jersey just looks like it was crumbled in a ball in the corner of the equipment room. They can't put in an extra 5 minutes to make sure all the visitors numbers look presentable? Considering it looks like they are having an underarmour fashion show on visits at Temple it's something that matters to these kids.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Tough weekend for us is some ways.

Hobbs to Washington - I thought Hobbs in particular looks like a good athlete with solid tackling skills combined with overall speed. I know we have more crucial needs like some thicker built Dline man, but a + player is a + player.
DeVera to Rutty - The Rutty offer partially validates my initial assessment which was that this is a kid worthy of a scholarship. Decent combo of speed and size for the MLB position. However, I trust the staff's assessment that he was no longer the right fit for the Crocker system. Congrats to him.
Elmore to Syracuse - I liked this kids tape. We desperately need someone one or two guys like him in this class as a HS prospect, JUCO or transfer.
Maize to Miami - Looks like a great kid. Nice to see his family in all his recruiting pictures (nice to have the support).

On DLine we have lost out on Maize, Josh Johnson (to Georgia Southern), Hobbs, Cummins and Elmore. Been tough.

What's left on the table - for prospect we have been publicly linked:
Pindell - With respect to players we know we are pursuing, this is still priority #1. He would be the odds on favorite to start next fall, anything less would be a disappointment. Temple vs UConn here.
Blackshear - Seems like a tough get with Michigan State on the table. Explosive player that could be a real threat with short passes too.
Sheffield - This kid can do it all with decent size. I hope we can lure him north. Highlight reel displayed solid ability to catch as well.
Mensah - Don't know what's going on here, but I hope he's still part of the plan.
Gardner-Russaw - Local kid looks like the prototype LB for the Crocker system - athletic - should be able to cover in space. Currently a BC commit.
Washington - FWIW - I see Florida Gator fans have been clamoring for this kid. Big arm, would be a fabulous get.
Tronti - Tough to beat Indiana or Arizona for Florida's Mr Football award winner.
Vollmer - 6'5'' 280lb Taft guard in our backyard with Umass, Temple and Buffalo sniffing. Why aren't we in on this kid?
R. King - Temple db commit who visited last weekend.
E. Brown - 6'6'' Taft WR who supposedly took an official with us over the weekend

Notable Diaco staff offers:
Gamble - HUDL tape shows mostly his RB ability, but I liked to think his future is to use that frame + speed for MLB. Do we know if this kid is part of Edsall's plans, Beavers was a surprise afterall.
DeGroot - Been radio silent after his official in December with the old staff. I wonder what is up. I think he has the speed and aggressiveness to play either DB or WR.
Cornell Jones - Committed to FIU - another good looking MLB prospect
McKenzie - Fl kid with skills for RB, WR and maybe as a tweener LB/DB.

I'd feel much better about the class if we can pull in Pindell, either Sheffield or Blackshear, either Washington or Tronti, Gardner-Russaw and some serious help on the O and D lines.

Reaction Score
Tough weekend for us is some ways.

Hobbs to Washington - I thought Hobbs in particular looks like a good athlete with solid tackling skills combined with overall speed. I know we have more crucial needs like some thicker built Dline man, but a + player is a + player.
DeVera to Rutty - The Rutty offer partially validates my initial assessment which was that this is a kid worthy of a scholarship. Decent combo of speed and size for the MLB position. However, I trust the staff's assessment that he was no longer the right fit for the Crocker system. Congrats to him.
Elmore to Syracuse - I liked this kids tape. We desperately need someone one or two guys like him in this class as a HS prospect, JUCO or transfer.
Maize to Miami - Looks like a great kid. Nice to see his family in all his recruiting pictures (nice to have the support).

On DLine we have lost out on Maize, Josh Johnson (to Georgia Southern), Hobbs, Cummins and Elmore. Been tough.

What's left on the table - for prospect we have been publicly linked:
Pindell - With respect to players we know we are pursuing, this is still priority #1. He would be the odds on favorite to start next fall, anything less would be a disappointment. Temple vs UConn here.
Blackshear - Seems like a tough get with Michigan State on the table. Explosive player that could be a real threat with short passes too.
Sheffield - This kid can do it all with decent size. I hope we can lure him north. Highlight reel displayed solid ability to catch as well.
Mensah - Don't know what's going on here, but I hope he's still part of the plan.
Gardner-Russaw - Local kid looks like the prototype LB for the Crocker system - athletic - should be able to cover in space. Currently a BC commit.
Washington - FWIW - I see Florida Gator fans have been clamoring for this kid. Big arm, would be a fabulous get.
Tronti - Tough to beat Indiana or Arizona for Florida's Mr Football award winner.
Vollmer - 6'5'' 280lb Taft guard in our backyard with Umass, Temple and Buffalo sniffing. Why aren't we in on this kid?
R. King - Temple db commit who visited last weekend.
E. Brown - 6'6'' Taft WR who supposedly took an official with us over the weekend

Notable Diaco staff offers:
Gamble - HUDL tape shows mostly his RB ability, but I liked to think his future is to use that frame + speed for MLB. Do we know if this kid is part of Edsall's plans, Beavers was a surprise afterall.
DeGroot - Been radio silent after his official in December with the old staff. I wonder what is up. I think he has the speed and aggressiveness to play either DB or WR.
Cornell Jones - Committed to FIU - another good looking MLB prospect
McKenzie - Fl kid with skills for RB, WR and maybe as a tweener LB/DB.

I'd feel much better about the class if we can pull in Pindell, either Sheffield or Blackshear, either Washington or Tronti, Gardner-Russaw and some serious help on the O and D lines.

Remember: This is Edsall

There were always - every year - surprises for NLOI in the last 36 hours. It was like Christmas. We rarely got that from PP or Diaco.

From past experience and with a little thought<:

* Terry Richardson was always the source of last minute Florida kids who didn't get placed. I can think of several. They get disillusioned or never got what they thought in terms of the fit of their original plan.
* Rhett Lashlee and his connections. Suspect that we have a new JuCo star in Lashlee if we want to go that route in Skill slots including QB. Grimes, Dottin-Carter, Crocker, Aaron Smith/Jon Wholley, Cox soon may show up with unknowns.
* We have at least 10 unsubscribed scholarship slots.

Net Net Net ... this Feb NLOI may be the biggest most surprising ever.

Reaction Score
Remember: This is Edsall

There were always - every year - surprises for NLOI in the last 36 hours. It was like Christmas. We rarely got that from PP or Diaco.
I would guess that one thing Edsall does with a new verbal commit, is to ask if they're the type who can keep their commitment quiet. During RE 1.0, w/o so much social media, it was probably easier for a new recruit to agree with this idea. Today? ..not so much. lol Obviously, if they agree though, it's a good thing as the poachers won't be alerted so they can then descend on the latest Husky recruit. So to the extent they are still able to, we still may have some surprises come signing day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom