2017 NCAA Baseball Tournament | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2017 NCAA Baseball Tournament

Reaction Score
I had a bad feeling when I saw St. John's right at the beginning of the show. I really thought UConn should be in, AAC is just a tough baseball conference. Any other year without the upsets in conference tourneys.

Reaction Score
Anyone really surprised? The NCAA has NEVER been a friend to uConn. The fact the B1G is a 5 bid league, and the AAC only got 3 is a joke. The "P5 conference" moniker reigns supreme once again, and it is only going to get worse.

UConn deserved to be in this tournament, but all that said,.... win your mid-week games. Beat Northeastern and the like. End of the day UConn has no one to blame but themselves. Never leave it in the hands of the committee.

Reaction Score
I had a bad feeling when I saw St. John's right at the beginning of the show. I really thought UConn should be in, AAC is just a tough baseball conference. Any other year without the upsets in conference tourneys.
I can't imagine that embarrassing loss to Houston right before the comitee made their selection helped instill confidence in UConn.

Reaction Score
While disappointed about not getting in, I still have to view the season as something as a success for this team to be in major consideration. I always viewed it as something of a big rebuilding season after losing Kay and Ruotolo from the pitching staff, and a big chunk of the offense with Melley, Sundberg, DeRoche-Duffin, and Daniello. Oh well, it is a young team, and players need to develop, but I really think UConn has a good shot at being back in the NCAA tourney next season.

Oh well, time for me to start concentrating at summer ball assignments, but probably not today.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd argue that it was primarily the lost weekend versus Tulane.

East Carolina loss at the end of the season. UConn would have tied for the regular season AAC championship. Pretty hard to deny them at that point.

Reaction Score
East Carolina loss at the end of the season. UConn would have tied for the regular season championship. Pretty hard to deny them at that point.

Fair point... one more conference win would have been one more conference win when it counted. We got nada @ Tulane.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
While disappointed about not getting in, I still have to view the season as something as a success for this team to be in major consideration. I always viewed it as something of a big rebuilding season after losing Kay and Ruotolo from the pitching staff, and a big chunk of the offense with Melley, Sundberg, DeRoche-Duffin, and Daniello. Oh well, it is a young team, and players need to develop, but I really think UConn has a good shot at being back in the NCAA tourney next season.

Unless we are completely gutted by the MLB draft next year, we will be playing for more than a regional berth next year. The vast majority of production on the team returns, and maybe the incoming class will give us another freshman stud or two.

Reaction Score
It comes down to the team not producing when it needed to. They were their own worst enemy this year.

Reaction Score
Yeah the middle of the week head scratching losses did this team no favors..will be interesting to see which players return. I assume Wills is gone, not sure about yahn. Would be nice to get another impact bat on a team that struggled to score far too often.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
How does UCLA (52 RPI, 30 wins/11 road wins) in conference with a lower RPI than the AAC get in ahead of UConn (RPI 38, 33 wins/20 road wins)? Can't leave anything to chance these days. . .

Houston got dissed too. I'll be rooting for our conference mates to upset the BS cart.

Reaction Score
How does UCLA (52 RPI, 30 wins/11 road wins) in conference with a lower RPI than the AAC get in ahead of UConn (RPI 38, 33 wins/20 road wins)? Can't leave anything to chance these days. . .

Houston got jobbed too. I'll be rooting for our conference mates to upset the BS cart.

While watching the selection show, seeing UCLA get in was my second bad feeling after St. John's.

Reaction Score
While watching the selection show, seeing UCLA get in was my second bad feeling after St. John's.

They must have wanted AZ in badly and UCLA road in on their coat tails. At least St. Johns won 42 games and had a respectable RPI. Although dropping their championship didn't help anyone on the bubble.

Reaction Score
Hmmm....

>>The committee wound up omitting our last three in (UConn, Old Dominion and Gonzaga) in favor of our first three out (A&M, St. John’s and Maryland). And we don’t have any huge objection to that — as we said, all six of them are worthy. But we thought Connecticut was a fairly easy call to get in based on its 14-10 record in the No. 4 RPI conference, its No. 38 RPI as a Northern team and its respectable 17-18 record against the top 50 (which blows away Maryland’s 10-11 mark, for instance). And Old Dominion finished in second place in the No. 6 Conference USA, which managed to get just two bids, while the seventh-ranked Big Ten got five. But the strength of the AAC did not help UConn with the committee, according to committee chairman Scott Sidwell, the athletics director at San Francisco. “Based upon the criteria that we have in front of us, what RPI a conference is is not part of our established criteria,” he said. “We try to look at their individual resumes and stack them up against other teams. As we went through the process, we just didn’t think they had a strong enough resume based upon some others we considered.” When I pressed Sidwell about specific teams like Gonzaga and UConn, I did not receive any satisfying explanations for their omissions — just generalities like you see above. That was disappointing.<<

>>I think I’ve said this before on previous podcasts, but the mid-major conferences (at least the perceived mid-major conferences) seldom get the benefit of the doubt in committee proceedings. That much was evident again on Monday as the American Conference, ranked No. 4 in conference RPI, got the three obvious teams (Houston, UCF and USF) in the field, but did not get Connecticut into the field. The Huskies, which had an RPI of 38 and finished just one game out of first place in the regular season, should’ve made the field<<

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well that sucks!

AAC got hosed...

Absolutely. It's a really tough conference from a baseball standpoint, and I thought that our league had won a fair amount of non-conference marquis matchups. I thought we were all but guaranteed to be in after getting to the semis in our league, but I hear we were one of the first four out...

EDIT: Obviously, this thread has already confirmed that we were in the first four out...

Reaction Score
Absolutely. It's a really tough conference from a baseball standpoint, and I thought that our league had won a fair amount of non-conference marquis matchups. I thought we were all but guaranteed to be in after getting to the semis in our league, but I hear we were one of the first four out...

EDIT: Obviously, this thread has already confirmed that we were in the first four out...

Actually - first two out w/ Miami.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom