2017 Initial Depth Chart | The Boneyard

2017 Initial Depth Chart

Reaction Score
depth.PNG

Reaction Score
Wouldn't be surprised for a second if Swenson or Fortt became a true freshman starter in this 5DB system.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
True Freshman in 2 deep. Wow.
Not too surprising considering depth issues from Diaco, especially in defensive secondary. Interesting to see that Vickers didn't crack top 3 RBs and given reports on Mensahs play he may be our 5th RB. We look super deep at WR. No real surprises here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I find it really interesting that the two deep actually aligns to the 3-3-5 D. It seems Edsall is all-in on that scheme.

Reaction Score
Not too surprising considering depth issues from Diaco, especially in defensive secondary. Interesting to see that Vickers didn't crack top 3 RBs and given reports on Mensahs play he may be our 5th RB. We look super deep at WR. No real surprises here.
My first observation was no Vickers as well. Is he still with the team? Also, no RS for Donovan Williams at least initially. I know just because he's on the two deep doesn't mean he'll get playing time, but the fact he's listed is something.

Reaction Score
Interesting to see that Vickers didn't crack top 3 RBs and given reports on Mensahs play he may be our 5th RB.
Probably has more to do with grasping the whole playbook with Mensah right now. Plus, why burn him when you have a serviceable guy like Thompson (behind Hopkins) who has earned the respect of his teammates and coaches. Doesnt mean Mensah won't play but likely will only happen if injuries force the issue. As far as Vickers goes, I think pass pro may be the reason he hasn't cracked the depth chart just yet. But, I think he'll see the field in certain situations.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
At first glance, I'm pleasantly surprised about D. Williams getting tagged on our extensive WR "two deep" list. Bravo for him.

After that, can't say I am surprised about anything here regarding FR. I always thought Van Demark had decent chance to surprise on the 2 deep because he comes in as a PG player and he played with nice balance/control in his super senior tape. I expected Swann to get the punt job if Vickers was a no show. Glad for Swenson, Fortt and Beavers.

All in all, looks pretty sound. While not on the list, I hope we see Garson play this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought Leone may work his way into the starting O-Line, I thought Rutherford did a decent job last year. Good to see him starting.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My guess is that while Van Demark is on the two-deep, the plan is to red shirt him. If necessary (injury) they can move Rutherford to RT and start Leone at guard.

BL, I'm curious as to what HCVV stands for.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
My guess is that while Van Demark is on the two-deep, the plan is to red shirt him. If necessary (injury) they can move Rutherford to RT and start Leone at guard.

BL, I'm curious as to what HCVV stands for.
thats easy - Head Coach Vineyard Vines

You very well maybe right, but I am hoping he is truly good enough to play this year. I want the best on the field if they are indeed the best.

Reaction Score
At first glance, I'm pleasantly surprised about D. Williams getting tagged on our extensive WR "two deep" list. Bravo for him.

After that, can't say I am surprised about anything here regarding FR. I always thought Van Demark had decent chance to surprise on the 2 deep because he comes in as a PG player and he played with nice balance/control in his super senior tape. I expected Swann to get the punt job if Vickers was a no show. Glad for Swenson, Fortt and Beavers.

All in all, looks pretty sound. While not on the list, I hope we see Garson play this year.

And Freeborn

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Lots of new and young names. Whatever we'll be, we will be different regardless of the results. Also means we are thin in a lot of places.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Lots of new and young names. Whatever we'll be, we will be different regardless of the results. Also means we are thin in a lot of places.

Huh, "thin," that's your take? Sophomore and Freshman make teams great all the time. Youth is not always a sign of being thin or weakness, sometimes it just means the new kids are plain good. Now, we are thin at LB, no disputing that, but as a whole we might not be so 'thin' as we are just looking at youth that is ready to play.

I'm excited about the WRs, the young DBs and having punt return!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Huh, "thin," that's your take? Sophomore and Freshman make teams great all the time. Youth is not always a sign of being thin or weakness, sometimes it just means the new kids are plain good. Now, we are thin at LB, no disputing that, but as a whole we might not be so 'thin' as we are just looking at youth that is ready to play.

I'm excited about the WRs, the young DBs and having punt return!

It's what we call a high variance proposition. They could be great, overmatched or anywhere in between. If this is Alabama the chances it being the former are better than on a team that won 3 games and hired a new coach in Dec. This may be the 2004/05 class all over and I hope it is but, to not recognize this as Randy choosing to redraw all his scrabble tiles instead of playing the ones he was dealt as a huge unknown is missing something important.

Reaction Score
Anybody who looks at that depth chart and our schedule and predicts 8 wins is smoking some serious s@@t.

Honestly, we're razor thin at RB, LB and in the secondary. A few injuries and we're playing babies. That's not to say those young guys won't eventually be very good, but you pay an initial price for youth.

Reaction Score
#1 - Vechery the 2 @ LT - I always thought Vechery did a serviceable job at OG or C ... strange to see him at LT, but maybe the coaching staff liked what they saw in his size and footwork.

#2 - Depth at WR Y (my assumption) - All 4 listed players (Skanes, Davis, McClean, & Williams) each bring a totally different skill set to the position. The depth chart can't accommodate for all the personnel packages ... so the depth chart for this position is a little skewed. Davis is not a direct replacement for Skanes. Gotta be dictated by situation and formation.

#3 - Hahn at the 2 behind Stapleton - Who is keeping Diggs's seat warm? Britton or Stapleton? Based on the physical attributes I am thinking Britton. But Stapleton is now listed at a svelte 230 and has Hahn behind him. So does the staff expect to add 25 lbs to Hahn over the next 2 years?

Reaction Score
ThisIsUConnCountry‏ @MattSchonvisky 4h 4 hours ago
OL Ryan Van Demark is probably biggest surprise during camp for #UConnFootball. Will move to right side of line after playing LT all camp

HC Randy Edsall says he'd be surprised if LB E.J. Levenberry returns to the field in 2017 during coaches show on @WTIC1080

Edsall also adds that he's not ruled out LB Vontae Diggs (MCL) for week 2 vs USF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom