2017 Commit/Transfer - Dave Williams (RB from University of South Carolina) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2017 Commit/Transfer - Dave Williams (RB from University of South Carolina)

Reaction Score
I know that's lighthearted, but still ....

The prior USC back worked himself into a co-#2 position with Robbie Frey, lost playing time with fumbles and then worked his butt off to help his team to the Fiesta Bowl by busting wedges and blocking or returns instead of whining about lack of playing time. And then had injuries take away his chance to start the following year.

Yes, he disappointed, but if all disappointments gave as much to the team as Shu did we wouldn't have gone through the last six years.
Indeed .. TEAM first... I think the delusion of a NFL career starts to fade for many as their college years come to a close.. Not slighting DWill one bit... He could very well come here and rush for 1500 yards this upcoming season. Who knows? More than likely he won't. But what I think he'll bring is immediate talent at the RB position that Edsall demanded from less talent that he had here his first time around. He does what he needs to do, more opportunities playing the game he loves will come after UConn...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

The prior USC back worked himself into a co-#2 position with Robbie Frey, lost playing time with fumbles and then worked his butt off to help his team to the Fiesta Bowl by busting wedges and blocking or returns instead of whining about lack of playing time. And then had injuries take away his chance to start the following year.

Yes, he disappointed, but if all disappointments gave as much to the team as Shu did we wouldn't have gone through the last six years.

It's too bad that fumble against Michigan all but cost him his share of carries that season. To your point though are special teams were absolutely second to none those Edsall seasons and Shoemate was a big part during that Fiesta Bowl run.

Reaction Score
It's too bad that fumble against Michigan all but cost him his share of carries that season. To your point though are special teams were absolutely second to none those Edsall seasons and Shoemate was a big part during that Fiesta Bowl run.

He had a chance after the Michigan fumble. IIRC, he started against Vandy while Todman was out and Frey was banged up and they wanted to save him for special teams, but Shu didn't get it done, fumbled again, Robbie started at TB in the 2d half and that was all she wrote.

But Shoemate is not a guy I'd be trashing (and again, I believe the original statement wasn't truly meant to be harsh), both because for all we know he could have rushed for 1200 yards the following year, and the way he busted on specials after being benched is all you could ask of someone who started their career with all Trojan eyes thinking he would be an impact players.

Reaction Score

Right on, BL. I respected Shu for his effort and gamesmanship and I respect this post, too.

Reaction Score
Williams is a good back. He runs hard and can catch the ball pretty well out of the backfield. PSU was after him pretty hard out of HS, but GA Mangus at USCe was able to snag him. Lashlee will utilize multiple backs in his offense, so he'll definitely have a chance to contribute. This will also give your younger guys like Hopkins and Vickers a little more time to develop. Good pick up to bring in during a transition period.

Reaction Score
Fumbled right in front of me in the big house. Running left ball in right hand.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Fumbled right in front of me in the big house. Running left ball in right hand.
Yep...me too. My dad and I were about 15 rows up on that side of the endzone.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Has the gratuitous comment about
"Hope he works out better than the previous USC RB" transfer comment t been posted yet?

If not I got dibs on it.

I cleeeaaarrrllly qualified it with "gratuitous".

gra·tu·i·tous
[ɡrəˈt(y)o͞oədəs]

ADJECTIVE
  1. uncalled for; lacking good reason; unwarranted:
    "gratuitous violence"
    synonyms: unjustified · uncalled for · unwarranted · unprovoked · undue ·
    [more]
    indefensible · unjustifiable · needless · unnecessary · inessential · unmerited · groundless · senseless · wanton · indiscriminate · excessive · immoderate · inordinate · inappropriate
    antonyms: necessary
  2. given or done free of charge:
    "solicitors provide a form of gratuitous legal advice"
    synonyms: unjustified · uncalled for · unwarranted · unprovoked · undue ·
    [more]

Reaction Score

Speaking of Special Teams being second to none - who's coaching them this time around? Supposedly they are done hiring, maybe RE will handle them? Anyone hear something different?

Reaction Score
The top 30 programs, particularly the top 20, are littered with similar four star kids not getting the touches you would expect and they would have gotten had they gone to a lesser school. That said, glad to have him.
Should I bring up the fact that the last time the Huskies played South Carolina they won? ;)

What was the UConn Head Coach's name then? I seem to have forgotten.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Williams is a good back. He runs hard and can catch the ball pretty well out of the backfield. PSU was after him pretty hard out of HS, but GA Mangus at USCe was able to snag him. Lashlee will utilize multiple backs in his offense, so he'll definitely have a chance to contribute. This will also give your younger guys like Hopkins and Vickers a little more time to develop. Good pick up to bring in during a transition period.
Agreed.
And is it just me, or does "Ja'Kevious Vickers" just sound like football success?
Kind of name like Jabrill Peppers, Damore’ea Stringfellow or even Foley Fatukasi, that's just fun to say for everybody but TV announcers. Hope to hear that name blasted out by PA Announcers in coming seasons.

Reaction Score
Hard to not be happy about this one. Adding an AAC caliber RB. Let's go! Welcome aboard!

Reaction Score
Agreed.
And is it just me, or does "Ja'Kevious Vickers" just sound like football success?
Kind of name like Jabrill Peppers, Damore’ea Stringfellow or even Foley Fatukasi, that's just fun to say for everybody but TV announcers. Hope to hear that name blasted out by PA Announcers in coming seasons.

Still one of my favorites - Jazzmar Clax.

Reaction Score
Karsten Kibbee. Wrong board but an all
Timer namewisde for me

Reaction Score
So if anyone is interested, from what I have gathered from USCe fans, athletic ability is not Williams' weakness. One poster said "He has Trent Richardson Syndrome" where he just doesn't see the open whole. Will always hit the called gap. Hopefully TRich can help him with his vision. If he can improve there he's dangerous coupled with Newsome.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Agreed.
JKV ! JKV! JKV!
Yeep...sounds good

Reaction Score
Speaking of Special Teams being second to none - who's coaching them this time around? Supposedly they are done hiring, maybe RE will handle them? Anyone hear something different?
for some reason, I'm no longer concerned about Special Teams. Under Edsall, that was never an issue... So, whoever he has that may or may not be on our staff running that show we're in good hands...

Reaction Score
for some reason, I'm no longer concerned about Special Teams. Under Edsall, that was never an issue... So, whoever he has that may or may not be on our staff running that show we're in good hands...

Never? Punt protection and kick coverage were huge issues for a long time. Yes, he corrected them eventually, but the issues came up when he was handing ST duties himself.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Never? Punt protection and kick coverage were huge issues for a long time. Yes, he corrected them eventually, but the issues came up when he was handing ST duties himself.

I have same concern as you, but...

1) Blocking rules have fundamentally changed on punts since HCRE1.0. (See Diaco, Bob, and justifying never returning anything)
2) Kick coverage is less of a concern now, with the number of touchbacks (see apeface Schiano)

Even if he reverts to old problems, they're much smaller problems.

Reaction Score
Didn't the same UNC player block 3 punts one game?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom