2017 Commit #1 - Jordan McAfee (Everett MA) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2017 Commit #1 - Jordan McAfee (Everett MA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
strong arming the deep outs and showing some touch on the fades... I like that spread offense :)

Reaction Score
By no means an expert here. 90% of what I see I really like. Maybe a football expert can explain, but is it me or does he short arm the ball? Again, I have no clue when it comes to QB mechanics but just something that kept coming to mind as I watched.

Also, I understand these are standard recruiting videos, but the other thing that stood out is his size. By the 4th highlight I was like, "OK, we don't need the freeze frame with the arrow, we know who he is."

I completely agree here and in no way shape or form can I in any way comment appropriately nor do I have any clue if what I think I see is incorrect, but to me it looks like his mechanics are clunky/short. I also would think that 80% of high school QBs don't have good mechanics and that's probably the first thing that's worked on. With that being said, my understanding is that's something that can be taught regardless of your talent level, so the intangible of size, strength etc. along with his ability to read a D (any time the D went into zone, it seemed like he hit exactly where he should go for the soft spot) which looked great albeit a highlight video, I would think there's only upside if fixing mechanics is indeed needed.

Welcome aboard Jordan!

Reaction Score
By no means an expert here. 90% of what I see I really like. Maybe a football expert can explain, but is it me or does he short arm the ball? Again, I have no clue when it comes to QB mechanics but just something that kept coming to mind as I watched.

Also, I understand these are standard recruiting videos, but the other thing that stood out is his size. By the 4th highlight I was like, "OK, we don't need the freeze frame with the arrow, we know who he is."

You don't want QBs to "long-arm". It increases their release time.

He does look like he's guiding the ball a bit on the shorter throws.

Reaction Score
Good read...

BHallESPN 2:09pm via Twitter Web Client
In our latest "X's and O's", @docsportstalk looks at how Everett QB @jordan_mcafee will fit into @UConnFootball
X's and O's: Everett QB Jordan McAfee could be something special for UConn

>>...Landing McAfee is a coup for Huskies coach Bob Diaco and his staff. The former Notre Dame defensive coordinator wanted an athletic, dual-threat quarterback to run his offense, and that’s exactly what he’s getting here.

Everett coach John DiBiaso has done a great job of developing McAfee into a pocket passer. Mechanically, he’s come a long way from where he was as a sophomore. And while his mechanics will still need some additional fine tuning, the pocket presence and the arm strength are noticeable.<<

Reaction Score
Love that we're signing athletic QBs every year. We need the depth.

1:26, the WR drops the ball just before the goal line. Ref was looking the other way. Note to WRs. If you hand the ball to the ref, you never have to worry about a fumble before you actually score. :rolleyes:

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score

Look at that Big East Champs banner! What an accomplishment that season was, conference champs in a 'power conference'. I played no part in earning it, but seeing that banner fills me with pride.

Right now, the AAC is likely stronger than the Big East, but has a lower reputation. Off-topic, but would UConn winning the AAC be a greater/lesser/equal accomplishment to winning the Big East? As a fan, I think winning outright feels better than a tie-break. What about the national perception?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nice article on him in the Boston Herald:

Hot Shots: Jordan McAfee a big-time winner for Everett

Really like the look of this kid. With Williams as a RS freshman next year, and this kid as a freshman, I have to wonder if Diaco will give Williams a real chance to win the starting job while McAfee redshirts.

I know you always over-recruit QBs, but the reality is that as Alabama saw this year, you also lose them if they don't play.

Reaction Score
Look at that Big East Champs banner! What an accomplishment that season was, conference champs in a 'power conference'. I played no part in earning it, but seeing that banner fills me with pride.

Right now, the AAC is likely stronger than the Big East, but has a lower reputation. Off-topic, but would UConn winning the AAC be a greater/lesser/equal accomplishment to winning the Big East? As a fan, I think winning outright feels better than a tie-break. What about the national perception?

The AAC is better on the field than the 2010 Big East, but the conference from 2005-09 was far and away better than the current AAC.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Really like the look of this kid. With Williams as a RS freshman next year, and this kid as a freshman, I have to wonder if Diaco will give Williams a real chance to win the starting job while McAfee redshirts.

I know you always over-recruit QBs, but the reality is that as Alabama saw this year, you also lose them if they don't play.
My guess is that early in the year next year BS will start but DW will be worked in and given more time as the season progresses with the hope that by mid-season he'll be the full tome QB.

Reaction Score
Haven't ever seen this kid play so I'm not judging. And I so hope he's the next Lamar Jacson or at least the kid from USF. However, besides a lousy BC program, and a lousier UConn program, what other FBS schools offered him - or at least were aggressively pursuing.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Really, he connects just 6 times and 5 of those result in TDs? Sounds like a game of 11 on 5.
My thoughts exactly. Also, 35 yards per completion is a bit ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Game was out of reach at the half.
(VIDEO) 2016 MIAA Playoffs: Everett Explodes for 62 Points to Advance to D1 Super Bowl

>>UConn bound quarterback Jordan McAfee '17 celebrated his 18th birthday in fashion, quarterbacking Everett to a return trip to the Super Bowl. McAfee finished with 177 yards passing and a score.<<
Not exactly what I was expecting to see. I know a lot of the local media was pumping this game up as the McAfee v. Perry Bowl. Good to see the UConn commit and his team come out on top in a convincing win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom