2017 AAC Bowl Matchups Determined | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2017 AAC Bowl Matchups Determined

Reaction Score
Let me give you the perfect case study: Boise State.

Boise beat everyone and their grandmothers over the last 20 years of football (Nutt, Koettner, Hawkins, Peterson, Harsin). Even the Houston Nutt year where they went 5-6, they beat Wisconsin. They've won three Fiesta Bowls (Oklahoma, TCU, Arizona). They finished undefeated twice and with only 1 loss six times. They've finished in the Top25 ten out of the last fifteen years.

So what do they have to show for it? A semi-horrible contract with CBS that is slightly less horrible than their MW counterparts, and even less access to the big bowls than the AAC members since their strength of schedule will put them at a disadvantage to a UCF or a Memphis with a similar record.

Could a specific bowl look for a tie-in with Boise specifically? Sure, I guess; something like the Military Bowl with the academies or something like that. But that doesn't change Boise's financial future, access to big games, or access to the playoffs. It's hard for a G5 team to exist in a P5 world. And as some of the P5 are finding out, it's hard for a P5 team to exist in a P3 world...

I totally understand that.

However, UCF isn't Boise and the AAC isn't the Mountain West.

The AAC has bigger schools, with "decent" history, playing in major markets.

My question, specifically, was what can the P5 do to stop the Peach Bowl from signing a contract with the AAC?

Reaction Score

My question, specifically, was what can the P5 do to stop the Peach Bowl from signing a contract with the AAC?

Playing in major college football markets, no less. Many within easy travel distance to the Peach Bowl.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Well, I think the issue with your question is that, to the best of my understanding, the bowls are contractually obligated to offer bids to specific conferences. And I think those conferences are negotiated by the NCAA or some committee that is formed through the NCAA. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

So if that's correct, then what you're asking is that the Peach bowl says to the NCAA committee, "We don't want your P5-favored contract. We want the AAC bowl." At which point, the NCAA could say that they are the preferred provider for the AAC, or the NCAA could tell them to go suck an egg...

Reaction Score
Well, I think the issue with your question is that, to the best of my understanding, the bowls are contractually obligated to offer bids to specific conferences. And I think those conferences are negotiated by the NCAA or some committee that is formed through the NCAA. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

So if that's correct, then what you're asking is that the Peach bowl says to the NCAA committee, "We don't want your P5-favored contract. We want the AAC bowl." At which point, the NCAA could say that they are the preferred provider for the AAC, or the NCAA could tell them to go suck an egg...

I know that bowls are under no obligation to contract with a conference.

And I'm not saying it's going to happen, I acknowledge it's a moon shot but it's something the AAC should be aiming for.

Also, the NCAA is in no way, shape of form involved in the CFB post season.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I know that bowls are under no obligation to contract with a conference.

And I'm not saying it's going to happen, I acknowledge it's a moon shot but it's something the AAC should be aiming for.

Also, the NCAA is in no way, shape of form involved in the CFB post season.

I think the best thing the AAC can do is to take this as real data and use it in their upcoming negotiations for tv contracts. That's likely the only thing in their control, and it's also likely the best avenue to make a monetary difference for the teams in the conference...

Reaction Score
I think the best thing the AAC can do is to take this as real data and use it in their upcoming negotiations for tv contracts. That's likely the only thing in their control, and it's also likely the best avenue to make a monetary difference for the teams in the conference...

Absolutely

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom