2017 AAC Bowl Matchups Determined | The Boneyard

2017 AAC Bowl Matchups Determined

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'm about 15 or 20 minutes from the Frisco Bowl. Go SMU!

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
That is actually a really good schedule. Fresno and FIU are top of the line G5 teams this year, and 4 p5 teams (only 1 of which is 6-6)

Reaction Score
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl . . . . . . because the St. Petersburg Bowl just didn't have a goofy enough name.

Can't believe some of these bowl names.
It was originally the Beef O’Brady Bowl.

Reaction Score
The St. Pete Bowl needed to be changed because when the Trop close, the Gasparilla Bowl will be in Tampa, which celebrate Jose Gaspar with Gasparilla...

Reaction Score
To me, the first concrete, major step the AAC can take towards really separating ourselves from the rest of the G5 is signing a contract with the Peach Bowl.

I recall reading that Peach Bowl officials were really happy with Houston's turnout a couple years ago.

I hope, given the proximity and opponent, UCF turns out well too.

Arseco should be wining and dining the Peach Bowl people from now till game time.

Reaction Score
To me, the first concrete, major step the AAC can take towards really separating ourselves from the rest of the G5 is signing a contract with the Peach Bowl.

I recall reading that Peach Bowl officials were really happy with Houston's turnout a couple years ago.

I hope, given the proximity and opponent, UCF turns out well too.

Arseco should be wining and dining the Peach Bowl people from now till game time.

Why would the Peach commit to the AAC. When the AAC has a bad year they have a bad matchup. As it sits now they always have a to 20 matchup.

Reaction Score
Why would the Peach commit to the AAC. When the AAC has a bad year they have a bad matchup. As it sits now they always have a to 20 matchup.

I mean, you're probably right.

It doesn't mean Arseco shouldnt try, though

Reaction Score
A contract with the Peach Bowl is an automatic NY6 bowl tie-in for the AAC. Hate to agree with BC Hank but there's not much chance the Peach would go for it, assuming the league has a down year and another G5 team is highly ranked. The AAC would have to show sustained strength with producing ranked teams and bowl victories before it would ever be considered.

Reaction Score
A contract with the Peach Bowl is an automatic NY6 bowl tie-in for the AAC. Hate to agree with BC Hank but there's not much chance the Peach would go for it, assuming the league has a down year and another G5 team is highly ranked. The AAC would have to show sustained strength with producing ranked teams and bowl victories before it would ever be considered.

Negotiate requirements into the agreement if they don't go for a straight tie in. I'd start with if the aac misses being ranked 2 straight years the peach could opt out that and subsequent years until the aac is ranked again. I'd be happy with the aac has to be ranked to be invited.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Craig Carton buy most of them?

In all seriousness, do this a few times and the P5 conferences will start to notice.

They've already noticed.

However, they won't change rules that favor them. If anything, they'll reinforce them...

Reaction Score
They've already noticed.

However, they won't change rules that favor them. If anything, they'll reinforce them...

I'm not sure if this still the case, but aren't the Bowl committees (supposedly) independent from the conferences?

I.e. if the Peach Bowl were to agree to a tie in with the AAC, what could the p5 do about it?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if this still the case, but aren't the Bowl committees (supposedly) independent from the conferences?

I.e. if the Peach Bowl were to agree to a tie in with the AAC, what could the p5 do about it?

Let me give you the perfect case study: Boise State.

Boise beat everyone and their grandmothers over the last 20 years of football (Nutt, Koettner, Hawkins, Peterson, Harsin). Even the Houston Nutt year where they went 5-6, they beat Wisconsin. They've won three Fiesta Bowls (Oklahoma, TCU, Arizona). They finished undefeated twice and with only 1 loss six times. They've finished in the Top25 ten out of the last fifteen years.

So what do they have to show for it? A semi-horrible contract with CBS that is slightly less horrible than their MW counterparts, and even less access to the big bowls than the AAC members since their strength of schedule will put them at a disadvantage to a UCF or a Memphis with a similar record.

Could a specific bowl look for a tie-in with Boise specifically? Sure, I guess; something like the Military Bowl with the academies or something like that. But that doesn't change Boise's financial future, access to big games, or access to the playoffs. It's hard for a G5 team to exist in a P5 world. And as some of the P5 are finding out, it's hard for a P5 team to exist in a P3 world...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom