2017 -2018 Uconn Roster Up | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2017 -2018 Uconn Roster Up

Reaction Score
If we lose all 3 guys again or they aren't effecrive and all our big guys suck then we could be in the bottom quarter of this conference. Remember even with average big men last year we finished sixth. Now we are worst on paper with only Jalen and maybe CV as proven players.

We not finish last but I just don't see how this team makes the sweet 16 unless Jalen goes off every game.

We are not "worse on paper" than last year. Maybe worse than the roster at the beginning of the season, but not by the end. We are essentially replacing Facey with Larrier (a much better scorer) and adding an All American point guard along with a top 100ish power forward in Diarra. Brimah never really improved in his 4 years, which left a lot to be desired at the center position. If one of our centers can play defense and rebound we are already far better than last year (and that's assuming none of our incoming freshman contribute at all)

Reaction Score
Brimah is the only one I worry about replacing .
We have to compensate for his defensive presence by improved team defense especially on the perimeter and increase physicality.
We are better at every other position post Larrier injury and at guard pre injury.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We have to compensate for his defensive presence by improved team defense especially on the perimeter and increase physicality.
We are better at every other position post Larrier injury and at guard pre injury.

His shotblocking we will miss. His lack of rebounding, and body up defense we won't. Nor his offense. We can't rely on shotblockers at all. If Cobb and David O can put bodies on the 6'8" guys that used to score on Brimah all the time and actually keep them away from the layup area of the lane, we'll be fine.

This is really on the coaches. This needs to be a different defense. I am really hopeful that the staff can run a defense that these players can actually execute. I never liked the reliance on a shot-blocker who may or may not be on the court, as it leads to some bad habits.

Reaction Score
I would point out that Gilbert's standing as a "pure" PG is questionable. In his senior year at Miller Grove, he started at SG. The starting point was a kid named Aaron Augustin. Clearly the coach wanted to exploit AG's offensive skills and was looking for a PG to find Gilbert, not for Gilbert to be looking for others. The truth is that Gilbert, like Adams, is a penetrator/shooter first, his passing mainly taking the form of sudden handoffs to startled big men.

At this point in time, Adams is probably the better passer, hence the better PG, based on his experience last year. Gilbert, I submit, would be far more at home at the 2. If their heights were switched, Gilbert 6-2 and Adams 5-11, there would be no question at all. Adams would start at point. He probably should anyway, the chief argument against it being the difficulty of a 5-11 handling the 2 position defensively.

I have no doubt that AG will be tried at PG, but if he handles it no better than he did against Wagner and NE last year (where he and Jalen largely got into each other's way), he will find himself battling Vital for minutes at the 2 -- and in that battle, Vital has the initial edge, based on his 3-point ability.

All that said, I think that AG has both the smarts and the leadership flair to make a superb PG. It will take time, however. We should not expect it out of the shoots.

Reaction Score

I wanted to watch some Alterique and Terry to get me ready for this season, and even though we obviously lost this game. Adding two more guys that can just go out and make plays will be atleast more fun to watch this year.

I sensitized those videos; I hope I don't have to go through that painful process again.

Reaction Score

We're going to miss all three of the seniors more than people realize. Facey was a very good two way player last season who would help us immensely this year, and even Purvis - the guy we should theoretically have the easiest time replacing because of our depth in the back court - gave us a lot of value defensively in his ability to guard three or four positions. We're going to miss his size and athleticism a lot defensively. We don't know if Vital is big enough to be an ideal fit at the three and we don't know if Gilbert can guard at all. Same goes for Larrier, whose loss last season was, in my opinion, overstated. I might take Facey over him if given the choice.

We'll be better than last year, but it won't be an addition by subtraction thing. Pair this years back court with last years front court and I think you would have found a hell of a team. The major problems last season were the lack of a second ball-handler and coaching.

Reaction Score
We're going to miss all three of the seniors more than people realize. Facey was a very good two way player last season who would help us immensely this year, and even Purvis - the guy we should theoretically have the easiest time replacing because of our depth in the back court - gave us a lot of value defensively in his ability to guard three or four positions. We're going to miss his size and athleticism a lot defensively. We don't know if Vital is big enough to be an ideal fit at the three and we don't know if Gilbert can guard at all. Same goes for Larrier, whose loss last season was, in my opinion, overstated. I might take Facey over him if given the choice.

We'll be better than last year, but it won't be an addition by subtraction thing. Pair this years back court with last years front court and I think you would have found a hell of a team. The major problems last season were the lack of a second ball-handler and coaching.

I guess for me I need to see more Terry before I could even make the choice although I think it's fairly easy. I would also need to know if it's the first 3 years plus the last 12 games Facey or the one who had a 12-13 game stretch last year where he looked like most if us wish he had been redshirted. Again, late in the season though he couldn't make a shot and wasn't close to what a healthy Larrier will bring us I don't believe. He could offensive rebound the hell out of the ball thought when he wanted to.

If we don't have a shooter that can streak us back into games we will miss Rodney and defensively when Rodney's passion was prevailing that guy will be missed. Brimah, well I'm not going to go all "mau" on this one but if we have a guy or guys who can defend people on the post physically, move his feet and then turn and rebound the ball and not fall over, we will be fine. Don't need to block shots to be a good defensive team, it helps if you have an 11 rebound guy like Hasheem as well as being physical on the block, but 2.8 blocks and 5 rebounds doesn't get me all that excited, especially when a lot of time people weren't where they should be.

Reaction Score
We are not "worse on paper" than last year. Maybe worse than the roster at the beginning of the season, but not by the end. We are essentially replacing Facey with Larrier (a much better scorer) and adding an All American point guard along with a top 100ish power forward in Diarra. Brimah never really improved in his 4 years, which left a lot to be desired at the center position. If one of our centers can play defense and rebound we are already far better than last year (and that's assuming none of our incoming freshman contribute at all)
Like I said we can't be sure how players are going to be coming back from injuries especially AG.

Reaction Score
Is Omotayo Aiyegbusi the guy that Cam Reddish is friends with?

Reaction Score

I wanted to watch some Alterique and Terry to get me ready for this season, and even though we obviously lost this game. Adding two more guys that can just go out and make plays will be atleast more fun to watch this year.

Thank you for putting that together. I'm spending too much time on the BY without actually seeing any basketball. That just whets my appetite for more. Jalen and Christian also looked good in that video. By the way, at the end of that video there is a hot little mixtape of AG that comes up #4 Balls Life with Soul Butter, in case anybody didn't notice.

Reaction Score

That got me watching highlights of jalen. I think we all tend to undervalue him somewhat. I definitely do. That kid has his weaknesses, but he is an incredible talent. That right hand could find him a spot in the NBA one day.

Alterique looks the part on offense. I hope he can learn to play some D.

I love our guard depth this year. If we're able to pressure the ball more, that might help relax the learning curve for our big boys.

Reaction Score
Jalen is a tremendous talent. Too many minutes last year/fatigue/nagging injuries inhibited his game somewhat last year plus being the only ballhandler. I think he's going to have a breakout year this year even while sharing the floor with Terry Larrier who has a scorer's mentality. Larrier is quite capable of having a breakout year also if he shoots for a good percentage from the floor. He is definitely going to put up shots. I'm thinking Jalen's game will have evolved some for this year and we're going to see more pure scoring from him in a variety of ways. He's going to be better, I have no doubts. Just to leap for fun, if he stays for his senior year, he'll be knocking on the door to being an All American.

Reaction Score
Starting Lineup:

Alterique
Jalen
Terry
Diarra
Onuorah

Book it.

As I always say, it's not who starts, it's who gets the minutes.

By mid season, the lineup will probably look much different.

Reaction Score
As I always say, it's not who starts, it's who gets the minutes.

By mid season, the lineup will probably look much different.

Based on overall talent & what a starting lineup generally requires I feel these players will see the most minutes at their positions.

I understand the argument of putting Vital at the 3 and sliding Terry and Diarra to the big roles against small lineups, but just out of curiosity who do you feel will be getting more minutes than these players?

Reaction Score
One key to a successful season will be this team, no matter who is on the floor, playing with fire in their eyes the first ten minutes of every game, not digging a 5-9 point deficit to be overcome, and making every opponent believe from the opening tip that we are the better team on that night.

All this as opposed to way too many games in recent memory where we started like we were pushing a rock up a hill to be polite.

Reaction Score
One key to a successful season will be this team, no matter who is on the floor, playing with fire in their eyes the first ten minutes of every game, not digging a 5-9 point deficit to be overcome, and making every opponent believe from the opening tip that we are the better team on that night.
Agree. Attitude is everything.

Last year was like a bad batch of soup, and we kept adding ingredients and seasonings to try to make it good, but it wasn't. Just want to start from scratch, or mostly.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I think the starting lineup will be quite different. I am thinking:

Gilbert
Adams
Vital
Larrier
Cobb or Diarra

Gilbert
Adams
Larrier