2017-2018 lineup? | The Boneyard

2017-2018 lineup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For 2016/2017 four of the starting five are set and probably Saniya as the other one to make it 5. Crystal D should be ready to start maybe before the end of the season? With Stevens becoming eligible and the No.1 recruit coming in, what will the starting lineup look like by mid to late season? Who will be first off the bench?

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
For 2016/2017 four of the starting five are set and probably Saniya as the other one to make it 5. Crystal D should be ready to start maybe before the end of the season? With Stevens becoming eligible and the No.1 recruit coming in, what will the starting lineup look like by mid to late season? Who will be first off the bench?
Pump your brakes, they still haven't played a game that counts this season.
Pump your brakes. They've yet to play a game that counts this season and you're already concerned about next year? I realize you can't contain your excitement about getting the #1 recruit in the country again but let this season unfold first doesn't the current team deserve your support?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
The OP is not all that different than two other threads that are already going strong, discussing next year's squad.

It's always interesting to me how people assume Boneyard posters cannot post something about next year's squad, be it lineups, comparisons (of next year's squad) to past legends, etc. etc. etc., without somehow disrespecting this year's team or losing sight of the season we're in.

News flash - BYers can rub their tummies and pat their head at the same time.

I look forward to similar posts on the other two threads, "UConn WBB 2017-18: an embarrassment of riches?" and "2017-18 Roster.....best ever!?", to the effect that people should give the subject a break.

Reaction Score
2017-2018 will present another big challenge to Geno and his coaching staff. It is a challenge any team would love to have. There will be 14 solid players on this team:
two solid seniors.....gabby and kia (who may both be AA candidates)
four phenomenal juniors ....katie lou,, collier, Azura, and Camara (two possible AA candidates, maybe more?)
three sophomores....crystal, kyla and molly
four freshmen .....including the next superstar player megan
Natalie Butler (didn't know what class she is)

How to figure playing time and chemistry among this group ? Will they all stay at Uconn? Patience will be a big virtue for this team as they wait their turn for time on the court during this year and the years to come.

Reaction Score
No. 3 recruit Rellah Boothe

I'm going to average 45 points a game this season."

I'm not expecting 40-0 right away," Boothe said of the Longhorns

Glad we didnt recruit this kind of selfishness...

Reaction Score
Let Geno to worry this problem. I will just seat and watch the games.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Our starters this year include Kia, Gabby, Napheesa, and Lou. All will be back next year. I think all keep their starting spots. That, of course, means that there is only 1 starter among the group of: Natalie, Crystal, Azura, Batouly, and Megan. The second unit next year will be insanely good. The third unit will be pretty good too.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score

I think getting Walker makes it easy and FUN to look ahead. Nobody has ventured a guess. I know all the caveats. This season has not started yet, it will work itself out, Geno can handle it. All true but it is harmless to look a head.

Here are my thoughts.

---14 is too many especially with a roster with that much talent. Most coaches would kill to be in the situation but "challenges" will nevertheless exist. Hockey shifts or five in five out like the Kentucky men did a couple of years do not work.
---If you start the Core 4 and Stevens next year, who plays point? I realize it is a tiny sample size but Nurse played very little point in the two exhibition games. I would start Dangerfield and bring Collier or Lou off the bench.
----I would redshirt all the freshmen except Walker. Unusual for the Huskies but the new frosh besides Walker are at loaded positions.
----Butler might have the credits to graduate at the end of the year. MAYBE she sees that her time would be limited and transfers almost anywhere else to get the playing time that she deserves but would not get at UCONN. This is not a slam at Nat but a statement concerning the competition for time up front.
----I really like what I saw from Bent. But, if the freshmen don't redshirt, when does Bent play? Of the 14, she gets lost in the shuffle as much as anybody.
----If the 3 freshmen redshirt and Natalie moves on, that puts them at 10. They normally do really well playing ten.

Some tough decisions for sure and not one ounce of negativity toward any of the 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom