2017-18 schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2017-18 schedule

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Here's another article that gives more dates for this year's UConn schedule.

As Usual, UConn Women Have Strong Nonconference Schedule That Includes Notre Dame.

The 14 opponents visiting the UConn women's basketball team in 2017-18 were unveiled Monday, when the school also made season tickets available.

The Huskies host eight American Athletic Conference teams (Temple, USF, Cincinnati, Memphis, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF and Wichita State) along with a six nonconference opponents.

The nonconference schedule includes NCAA Tournament teams California (Friday, Nov. 17), Maryland (Sunday, Nov. 19), Notre Dame (Sunday, Dec. 3) and Louisville (Monday, Feb. 12). UConn will also host two exhibition games: Fort Hays State (Wednesday, Nov. 1) and Division II national champion Ashland (Sunday, Nov. 5). Ashland, located in Ashland, Ohio, was 36-0 last season.

The sites and times of the 14 games will be announced at a later date, along with the dates of the conference games. Seven games will be played at Gampel Pavilion and seven at the XL Center.

The Huskies, coming off a 36-1 season that ended with a loss to Mississippi State in the national semifinals, will open the regular season in Columbus, Ohio against Ohio State on Nov. 12. After opening the season at Ohio State, the Huskies will have a challenging first weekend at home.

[STORY]

Reaction Score
I already like this OOC schedule, over previous years, two teams possibly three with South Carolina are on schedule after December 31st. It breaks the mundane AAC stretch of games with a few (if South Car's game is within this stretch) sprinkles decent OOC teams.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here's another article that gives more dates for this year's UConn schedule.

As Usual, UConn Women Have Strong Nonconference Schedule That Includes Notre Dame.

The 14 opponents visiting the UConn women's basketball team in 2017-18 were unveiled Monday, when the school also made season tickets available.

The Huskies host eight American Athletic Conference teams (Temple, USF, Cincinnati, Memphis, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF and Wichita State) along with a six nonconference opponents.

The nonconference schedule includes NCAA Tournament teams California (Friday, Nov. 17), Maryland (Sunday, Nov. 19), Notre Dame (Sunday, Dec. 3) and Louisville (Monday, Feb. 12). UConn will also host two exhibition games: Fort Hays State (Wednesday, Nov. 1) and Division II national champion Ashland (Sunday, Nov. 5). Ashland, located in Ashland, Ohio, was 36-0 last season.

The sites and times of the 14 games will be announced at a later date, along with the dates of the conference games. Seven games will be played at Gampel Pavilion and seven at the XL Center.

The Huskies, coming off a 36-1 season that ended with a loss to Mississippi State in the national semifinals, will open the regular season in Columbus, Ohio against Ohio State on Nov. 12. After opening the season at Ohio State, the Huskies will have a challenging first weekend at home.

[STORY]

Louisville is back I see. A decent opponent, but I really dislike their style of play and the lengths Jeff will go to in an effort to win. Notre Dame is very early. Seems to keep getting earlier. But first Italy!

Reaction Score
Is there any way to get a schedule of games before I buy an XL package? Would likely not buy if I could see I am out of town on the days of the two best games. Or is all this revealed after we buy the tickets?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Is there any way to get a schedule of games before I buy an XL package? Would likely not buy if I could see I am out of town on the days of the two best games. Or is all this revealed after we buy the tickets?

Unfortunately I don't think so if you wanted to participate in the online process. The online seat selection process for Gampel and XL is new this year and is imminent, but to participate in the process you needed to purchase either or both packages before knowing where the games will be played, and very little information re when. I haven't heard any comment from UConn as to why it was done in this fashion. I assume you could still buy them at a later date though, after the schedule comes out, just not getting the choice of seats.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I've got UConn playing TX on Feb 12. Someone please help me with my calendar! :)

Bags, the Texas website has the Texas game in Austin on January 15.

I could write "LV" on a calendar and it could easily look a lot like "TX".

Of course, I am one of the few dinosaurs left who still uses a pocket calendar!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A UConn beat writer just announced that SC will play UConn on February 1, 2018.

Above is from the SC board. Just saying...

Reaction Score
Updated:

NOV 12 - v Stanford @ Ohio St
NOV 17 - Cal
NOV 19 - Maryland
NOV 21 - @ UCLA
NOV 25 - vs Michigan St @ Oregon
NOV 28 - @ Nevada
DEC _3 - Notre Dame
DEC _8 - @ DePaul
DEC 19 - v Oklahoma @ Mohegan
DEC 22 - v Duquesne @ Toronto
JAN 15 - @ Texas
FEB _1 - @ So Carolina
FEB 12 - Louisville

4 home / 4 neutral (tho 1 is Mohegan) / 5 away

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It seems that ESPN is finalizing its broadcast schedule for the upcoming season which may have prompted the Louisville release.

An August 26 Stanford release says the game against UConn in Columbus on Nov 12 will be played at 1:30 pm and televised on ESPN:

Cardinal to Play UConn

Matchups have changed for the Countdown to Columbus event at Nationwide Arena on Nov. 12 and Stanford will now face Connecticut instead of Louisville. The game between the Cardinal and Huskies will tip at 1:30 p.m. ET/10:30 a.m. PT and air on ESPN.

Team travel and television logistics required a change in opponents. When the Countdown to Columbus was first announced in April, the original matchups were Stanford against Louisville and Ohio State against Connecticut. The Cardinals and Buckeyes will now play following Stanford and Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Updated:

NOV 12 - v Stanford @ Ohio St | ESPN 1:30
NOV 17 - Cal
NOV 19 - Maryland
NOV 21 - @ UCLA
NOV 25 - vs Michigan St @ Oregon
NOV 28 - @ Nevada
DEC _3 - Notre Dame
DEC _8 - @ DePaul
DEC 19 - v Oklahoma @ Mohegan
DEC 22 - v Duquesne @ Toronto
JAN 15 - @ Texas
FEB _1 - @ So Carolina
FEB 12 - Louisville | ESPN 7:00

4 home / 4 neutral (tho 1 is Mohegan) / 5 away

Reaction Score
Team travel and television logistics required a change in opponents.
I don't understand this part. Aren't all four teams going to be in Columbus at the same time? What difference did it make what the matchups were in terms of the logistics?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't understand this part. Aren't all four teams going to be in Columbus at the same time? What difference did it make what the matchups were in terms of the logistics?

Here's my interpretation which I posted in another thread:

According to this Stanford release from August 26, the reasons for the change in opponent were "television logistics and team travel." My interpretation of this is that ESPN wanted the UConn game to be shown on its primary network channel (ESPN) in the 1:30 time slot. Doing so, however, would have meant that the Stanford v Louisville game would have to be the 2nd game of the doubleheader, or 4 pm, which may have prevented Stanford from leaving Columbus that evening. Remember, Stanford will be in Columbus to play Ohio State on Friday night, November 10. I also suspect the event organizers wanted the host team, Ohio State, to play in the 2nd game to maximize the crowd for both games.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom