2015 Spring Roster is up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2015 Spring Roster is up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Depends on which school's stat line you believe! Looks like he lost weight--and height--since Balis got a hold of him--lol.

UCONN
4 Bryant Shirreffs
Class:RS Sophomore
Hometown:Jefferson, Ga.
High School:Jefferson
Last College:North Carolina State
Height / Weight:6-1 / 216
Position:Quarterback

NC STATE
14 Bryant Shirreffs
Class:Junior
Hometown:Jefferson,Ga.
High School:Jefferson
Height / Weight:6-3 / 223
Position:QB
View attachment 8524 View attachment 8525 View attachment 8527

"NC State's system is changing to more of a drop-back style," Shirreffs said. "I can play that, I played that in high school, but as far as my best quarterbacking, it would be in a spread style where I can move around."

That speaks to Diaco wanting him to reduce weight. As for his height.....
Having a QB that can move and make good decisions takes a lot of pressure off the O line performance.

Reaction Score
As if we needed any more evidence of what those clowns did to this program, Nwokeji is now 6-6 301 lbs. I feel bad for a kid like this who played under a staff who was derelict in their duties to develop these kids. Probably too late for a kid like Nwokeji to crack the lineup as a RS Sr. Just unbelievable. Every time I see something like it feels like I'm sliding down a razor blade into a pool of rubbing alcohol.

It is painful, but if you spend the time playing football, and you aren't strong enough to crack the lineup, and your team stinks, and you aren't in the weight room...it isn't 100% on the coaches. Some people have the drive, and some people don't.

2 cases in point:

a) my son is now obsessed with trying to get good at football. He quit basketball this year to run indoor track. He runs on the weekend. I worked him out on the track in PR when we were away for the holidays. He runs when it is snowing outside. He takes boxing classes. He does weights at school. He knows that there are no off days. Now he may never have the size talent to be anything, but he isn't going to fail for lack of heart, even if there isn't a coach around to tell him to go to the gym.

b) Spoke with Sio a few weeks back - was hoping to run into him in Phoenix to catch up. He is rehabbing from his surgery and didn't want to take even a couple of days off to go to the SB because it might impact his progress. He is all business, and always has been.

Yes, we need great coaches. Yes, we need great S&C guys. But some of the nonsense we saw was just nonsense. And even Cochran - with Black Jack as a father - how does he end up at 247 pounds? Can't put it all on P.

Reaction Score
It is painful, but if you spend the time playing football, and you aren't strong enough to crack the lineup, and your team stinks, and you aren't in the weight room...it isn't 100% on the coaches. Some people have the drive, and some people don't.

2 cases in point:

a) my son is now obsessed with trying to get good at football. He quit basketball this year to run indoor track. He runs on the weekend. I worked him out on the track in PR when we were away for the holidays. He runs when it is snowing outside. He takes boxing classes. He does weights at school. He knows that there are no off days. Now he may never have the size talent to be anything, but he isn't going to fail for lack of heart, even if there isn't a coach around to tell him to go to the gym.

b) Spoke with Sio a few weeks back - was hoping to run into him in Phoenix to catch up. He is rehabbing from his surgery and didn't want to take even a couple of days off to go to the SB because it might impact his progress. He is all business, and always has been.

Yes, we need great coaches. Yes, we need great S&C guys. But some of the nonsense we saw was just nonsense. And even Cochran - with Black Jack as a father - how does he end up at 247 pounds? Can't put it all on P.

I agree 100%. Some kids need a push and some are motivated on their own. It just pisses me off because:

1) There was no oversight on S&C. None.

2) What program were they on? How does Balis come in put 20 lbs on Nwokeji in less than a year?

Yes, some of this is on the players (in this case, Nwokeji). I've been getting killed by sportsart for the better part of 2 years for saying that. But these are college kids. They're not mature yet. Some need a push.

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. Some kids need a push and some are motivated on their own. It just pisses me off because:

2) What program were they on? How does Balis come in put 20 lbs on Nwokeji in less than a year?

Yes, some of this is on the players (in this case, Nwokeji). I've been getting killed by sportsart for the better part of 2 years for saying that. But these are college kids. They're not mature yet. Some need a push.

But this is part of my beef with Foley (and others) - PP comes in and changes things / moves people around. Maybe they aren't hitting the weights anymore. S&C is going to . And they say what...nothing? Maybe if they went to PP and then to Warde if they thought it was an issue we wouldn't be here. I know the S&C guy was sick, but the whole thing just reeks of apathy and nobody willing to say anything. It should never have come to this.

I've been in the complex. The players get individualized diets based on their needs - was the entire program asleep at the switch? If so, I'm glad that nobody from that staff works here any longer, because it is on them as much as it was on the players.

Reaction Score
Myers up to 326... I like that... space eater... If he can still move the way he did last year at this new weight, watch out... he's starting...plain and simple.. we need a space eater up front on D... in fact nice to see our front 7 on D, pretty much as a whole, up in weight.. sizes look legit.. just hope they can still move... hopefully even better than last year...

Shout to walk on DL Sean Marinan... up to 286! He's hanging in there... hope he's my fav of all the walk ons... Hope he transistions into a scholly player...

Reaction Score
But this is part of my beef with Foley (and others) - PP comes in and changes things / moves people around. Maybe they aren't hitting the weights anymore. S&C is going to . And they say what...nothing? Maybe if they went to PP and then to Warde if they thought it was an issue we wouldn't be here. I know the S&C guy was sick, but the whole thing just reeks of apathy and nobody willing to say anything. It should never have come to this.

I've been in the complex. The players get individualized diets based on their needs - was the entire program asleep at the switch? If so, I'm glad that nobody from that staff works here any longer, because it is on them as much as it was on the players.
Yes, but they studied a lot of film like they do in the NFL. That always annoyed me when they would try to treat UCONN like an NFL team.

Reaction Score
Bongo Fury said:
Yes, but they studied a lot of film like they do in the NFL. That always annoyed me when they would try to treat UCONN like an NFL team.

Is that a bad idea in college? I do know they spent a lot of time in the film room.

Reaction Score
excuse the typos as I typed this up on the train. list of the current OL. The first set of numbers indicates the players weight last year and the second set is the weight so far in 2015 with 7 more months to go until the kickoff.

Our big uglies are def putting on some weight compared to last season, and im sure in a good way. I hope the 1 year of experience and the added strength translates to an improved line and a winning season!

basilica 293-300
bockeloh 284-298
crozier 282 294
Gifford 304-307
hashemi 262- 271
hopkins 298- 308
knappe. 300-310
levy. 305-308
nwokeji 287-301
oak 272-278
rugg 285-294
Rutherford 289- 296
samra 288- 290
schafenacker 285- 280
vechery 308-299

Reaction Score
Looks like it was just updated last night or today as old weights were listed. Interesting about Walsh, seems like a good athlete and with Clax starting gives him a chance to get on the field and make an impact, think it is a good move.
IMHO Walsh was a better LB than he was a FB...at Hand he was a beast and a tackling machine at LB

Reaction Score
From looking at last year's roster on ESPN vs. spring roster looks like Balis did good job getting the team bigger. About 2/3rd's of the players are heavier and probably some who lost weight Fakusaki (9 lbs) and Shirreffs (17) were probably designed weight losses for quickness. If my count is right looks like 16 guys gained more than 10 pounds and they were at positions where more size was needed (tight end, D line and O line). At tight end Bloom gained 26 and Myers 12, Lensender 17, and Mcquillen also gained 8. On D line Lawley gained 25, Marian 22, Adeyemi 19 and Myers 14 (going to be hard to run up middle with him and Campenni). On O line Bockeloh and Nwokjei gained 14, Crozier 12, and Knappe and Hopkins gained 10, also some other linemen gained8,9 pounds. Assuming it is managed and wanted weight gain looks like did nice job of beefing up the line to run the ball. Couple of other changes to note, Stapleton who is quick but was undersized gained 20 pounds, and Thomas and Lucas who are tall lanky receivers gained a little needed weight. Looks like Balis is doing his part, hope everyone else does their jobs and it translates to better performance on the field
I hope vontae diggs puts on another 10 pounds of muscle. he currently weighs 215 as a LB. 225/230 would be perfect

Reaction Score

That's not unfair. But playing Devils Advocate for Foley, how do you know that he didn't speak up? If we assume he didn't, these guys want to keep their jobs. They make decent dough but it's not a life that I would want for the money our assistants make. Not easy to speak up when it could cost you your job.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
That's not unfair. But playing Devils Advocate for Foley, how do you know that he didn't speak up? If we assume he didn't, these guys want to keep their jobs. They make decent dough but it's not a life that I would want for the money our assistants make. Not easy to speak up when it could cost you your job.

True. But he got canned anyway. He had a great track record. IMO if he couldn't fix it he should have been shopping himself.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
True. But he got canned anyway. He had a great track record. IMO if he couldn't fix it he should have been shopping himself.
All along I was wondering if he got one year as the holdover from the last staff, the bridge. Given the opportunity to stay working and show what he can do to the new staff as long as he stayed with the new mantra; he probably knew a break was impending. As a solid coach, he would have known the guys and was really in touch.

Given the situation with the firing/interim leadership, I didn't think we would retain any of the crew.

He hopefully spent the last year networking to see who will have a place for him, if not this year then next.

Reaction Score
Your hunch was correct. The new roster lists him at OL. He is 271 on the new roster.

I wonder if they'll consider a redshirt year to try to bulk him up to 290+. I think the staff is high on him, but if the plan is to make him a tackle it doesn't make sense to play him before he's physically able to handle it.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Position coaches rave about UConn's Matt Walsh
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/02/position-coaches-rave-about-uconns-matt.html

"The beauty of playing the game especially the way we want to play it is we want a passionate, energetic guy, guys who are eager to do the job,"said Brown, a former NFL linebacker. "Matt got this gleam in his eye, this excitement of 'man, I actually get a chance to come back to the side of the ball that I really enjoy.' I am excited to watch him grow and see what he can bring to the defense. Our defense, our inside linebackers have to be great communicators and really control the defense. That is one thing I think Matt would really excel in. He is a very bright kid, very articulate and he will learn the system."

For the non-clickers:

>>With Walsh now a linebacker, Jazzmar Clax is the only fullback on the roster. I asked Verducci, who also will coach the running backs, if he was looking at Max DeLorenzo or Josh Marriner to see some time at fullback. It didn't sound like that was the plan for Marriner but that DeLorenzo could be used in two-back sets and see time as a fullback or fullback/tailback hybrid.<<

Reaction Score

I didn't take much away from my three-years in the Army, but most of what I did take was leadership based.

Was taught that, "There are no bad soldiers in the Army, just bad Officers.Leaders are responsible for the performance and conduct of those they command;" and

"The best fertilizer in the world is the sound of a commander's boots. Delegate, but check/inspect." (Note: In college, I would have screwed with the Platform Instructor on his mixed metaphor. In the Army, not so much.)

The point? If a leader conveys a lack of interest to a group, the group will quickly lose interest. In the case of the FB Program, it wasn't just S & C, it was simple house keeping and the deteriorating condition of what is still a fairly new facility. Thank heavens that Burton never saw the facility's condition. PP had the wherewithal to maintain and manage his people and the facility. He didn't and the Program is paying. I'm with Jimmy. It pisses me off.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I didn't take much away from my three-years in the Army, but most of what I did take was leadership based.

Was taught that, "There are no bad soldiers in the Army, just bad Officers.Leaders are responsible for the performance and conduct of those they command;" and

"The best fertilizer in the world is the sound of a commander's boots. Delegate, but check/inspect." (Note: In college, I would have screwed with the Platform Instructor on his mixed metaphor. In the Army, not so much.)

The point? If a leader conveys a lack of interest to a group, the group will quickly lose interest. In the case of the FB Program, it wasn't just S & C, it was simple house keeping and the deteriorating condition of what is still a fairly new facility. Thank heavens that Burton never saw the facility's condition. PP had the wherewithal to maintain and manage his people and the facility. He didn't and the Program is paying. I'm with Jimmy. It pisses me off.
Why only 3 years??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01