2015 regionals | The Boneyard

2015 regionals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Sorry if I'm getting ahead of myself, but I was pleased to see the decision to return to neutral sites for the regionals in 2015.

However, while Oklahoma doesn't play in OK City, it is 20 miles away, closer than Storrs is to Hartford.

Will Oklahoma be permitted to play in that region?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes - I believe the only restriction is 'home court' so a similar situation to Bridgeport a few years ago and I also believe the site locations by definition are neutral courts - non-home courts for any D1 team? Interestingly - Bridgeport in going after Uconn home games has probably locked themselves out of any future regional selection.

Reaction Score
I believe the rule is that 3 scheduled games on the court = a home court. Since UConn played just one game in B-port, it would not qualify as a home court and thus could still host the Huskies.

Oklahoma played in the regionals in OKC last year. (Losing to Tenn.)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I believe the rule is that 3 scheduled games on the court = a home court. Since UConn played just one game in B-port, it would not qualify as a home court and thus could still host the Huskies.

Oklahoma played in the regionals in OKC last year. (Losing to Tenn.)

Good point, thanks.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I know this is way too early..... but I see a 4 team race for the #1 seed in Greensboro. The Vols, ND, UNC, and the Lesser Carolina. Guess I'll be rooting for the chickens to grab that spot.

Reaction Score
I know this is way too early..... but I see a 4 team race for the #1 seed in Greensboro. The Vols, ND, UNC, and the Lesser Carolina. Guess I'll be rooting for the chickens to grab that spot.

By chickens, I'm guessing you mean the Gamecocks and not UNC? :)

Reaction Score
Albany. Wow, that's an interesting choice. Not quite as remote as Sacramento, but still pretty off the beaten path.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I once drove to Albany for a first date March 1, 2013. That was an act of madness, though my date was a great woman. Still, if I'll drive for two hours for that reason, I'd drive there in a heartbeat for Uconn in a regional there...

Reaction Score
I once drove to Albany for a first date March 1, 2013. That was an act of madness, though my date was a great woman. Still, if I'll drive for two hours for that reason, I'd drive there in a heartbeat for Uconn in a regional there...
I know there will be UConn fans there, but unless Syracuse makes it, no other school is likely gonna be within a 5 hour drive. And it's not like other fans are going to be drawn by the great amenities of the capital district.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'd love to be in a regional that close to Columbia. There would be thousands of Gamecock fans that would make the trip to Greensboro.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I must have missed it, but I didnt realize that they switched the regional dates starting in 2015..... Greensboro and Oklahoma City will be on a Friday/Sunday. Albany and Spokane on Saturday Monday. Thats absolutely perfect for me :)

I'd love to be in a regional that close to Columbia. There would be thousands of Gamecock fans that would make the trip to Greensboro.

I'll be rooting for yall to be here.......... Im not a fan of the color Garnet.... but its alot easier on the eye than bright Orange

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I must have missed it, but I didnt realize that they switched the regional dates starting in 2015..... Greensboro and Oklahoma City will be on a Friday/Sunday. Albany and Spokane on Saturday Monday. Thats absolutely perfect for me :)

I'll be rooting for yall to be here..... Im not a fan of the color Garnet.... but its a lot easier on the eye than bright Orange

I attended the regional in Raleigh in 2002 or so when we played Duke in the regional finals. That was on a weeknight and we had a good contingent there. Greensboro is 1 1/2 hours closer to Columbia so it would be an even easier trip.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I attended the regional in Raleigh in 2002 or so when we played Duke in the regional finals. That was on a weeknight and we had a good contingent there. Greensboro is 1 1/2 hours closer to Columbia so it would be an even easier trip.

Greensboro does tournaments much much better than Raleigh ;) I'll be interested in seeing what time they schedule the games for. The last one I went to in 2008..... they pushed the Rutgers/UCONN final to 9pm on a Tuesday night.... Ironically... OKC also hosted that same day... and they had the TN/TAMU game at a 6pm local start

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Cool. Albany is an easy trip for me. Right across 90. :D

Reaction Score
Greensboro does tournaments much much better than Raleigh ;) I'll be interested in seeing what time they schedule the games for. The last one I went to in 2008..... they pushed the Rutgers/UCONN final to 9pm on a Tuesday night.... Ironically... OKC also hosted that same day... and they had the TN/TAMU game at a 6pm local start

Game times are up to ESPN I believe.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And who knows--Megan Gardler might show up! :)

Reaction Score

ND is sufficiently far that I doubt they're in much contention for G-boro. Okl City is not much further for them. And Spokane brings the Catholic connection with Gonzaga in town. Or Albany.

Reaction Score
Actually, if Notre Dame was the second overall seed they would go to G'boro and under the new guidelines no other ACC team among the top 16 seeds could be there. As much as UConn gets to play close to home I can't remember the last time both UNC and Duke were not at a NC site.

If SC ends up a 1 and ND isn't the obvious 2nd best team the committee might put the Gamecocks in G'boro as the one, thereby allowing them to put either UNC or Duke in as the 2-4.

I expect to see either Duke or UNC coming to Albany for the above stated reasons.

Reaction Score
Actually, if Notre Dame was the second overall seed they would go to G'boro and under the new guidelines no other ACC team among the top 16 seeds could be there. .

New guidelines?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Actually, if Notre Dame was the second overall seed they would go to G'boro and under the new guidelines no other ACC team among the top 16 seeds could be there. As much as UConn gets to play close to home I can't remember the last time both UNC and Duke were not at a NC site.

If SC ends up a 1 and ND isn't the obvious 2nd best team the committee might put the Gamecocks in G'boro as the one, thereby allowing them to put either UNC or Duke in as the 2-4.

I expect to see either Duke or UNC coming to Albany for the above stated reasons.

Actually, the last three times the regionals were held in NC... neither Duke nor UNC were placed in that regional. In 2008.... They sent you guys to Greensboro.. and sent the #1 seed UNC to New Orleans. Duke was the #3 seed in OKC that year. In 2009..... Maryland defeated Duke in the ACC championship game.. and they got the #1 seed in Raleigh... and Duke got the #1 seed in the West. In 2012.... Notre Dame was the #1 seed in Raleigh.... Maryland which won the ACC tourney.. got the #2 seed .... and Duke.. which lost to NC State in the ACC quarters got the #2 seed in Fresno.

Reaction Score
Those are the men's rules. The women's tournament has always had different procedures than the men's.

How about this article: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...mens-basketball-mock-exercise-spotlights-2015

"The mock exercise also allowed for a full discussion of the current “Principles and Procedures for Establishing the Bracket.” While the principles and procedures will continue to emphasize fairness, consistency and balance, attendees were notified of several tweaks for 2015 that included:

• Each of the first four teams from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines.
• Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional final if they played each other three or more times during the regular season and conference tournament.
• The committee will attempt to keep conference teams from meeting until the regional final round.
• If the committee is unable to balance the bracket after exhausting all possible options, it has the flexibility to permit two teams from the same conference to meet each other after the first-round. "

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
When do the regional tickets go on sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom