2015 AAC Tournament Location: Hartford, CT | The Boneyard

2015 AAC Tournament Location: Hartford, CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Gotta think that this was part of the negotiation on the arena upgrade no?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Will the arena improvements be completed in time?

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Another brilliant decision by the AAC brass. I can now save my money for a potential NCAA tournament trip to Louisville, Pittsburgh, Columbus or Charlotte...all drivable distance from Cincinnati...

Reaction Score
Will the arena improvements be completed in time?
What type of renovations are they doing? Are they just in the arena area or are they doing something to the area where the box office is?

Reaction Score
Honestly, outside of UConn games, this will likely bomb. How are they going to convince anyone to come to Hartford?

You could replace Hartford with Memphis above, and it would still be true. Memphis didnt even sellout their quarterfinal game against Uconn (attendance listed as 13k), and the stadium was mostly empty for the AAC championship. I'm not sure there's anywhere that would be a big draw with this conference.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Honestly, outside of UConn games, this will likely bomb. How are they going to convince anyone to come to Hartford?
Fans didn't fill up Madison Square Garden for the early games either.

Reaction Score
But at least you'll get the fans of the other teams who have interest in visiting Memphis and NYC for a weekend. Who's going to chomp at the bit to go to Hartford?

Reaction Score
Hartford has done a good job with the women's tourney in the past. There is no reason to think this won't be a similarly successful venture. Will all of the sessions be filled, obviously not. The decent teams should bring a fair amount of fans though and Hartford is not a hard place to fly into. Visiting fans have generally had good things to say about the city and the area in the past. I'm glad we are getting a shot.

Reaction Score
As someone who was in Memphis for the AAC tourney this year, this surprises me not at all. The AAC had an option to bring it back to Memphis, but the attendance was so miserable that I can't imagine they'd seriously consider it. Outside of the Memphis game, which itself was not nearly sold out (scarcely occupied above the lower top deck), the attendance was abysmal. I had seats in the upper terrace and I only sat there during the Memphis game, because they closed the entire upper level for all the other games due to poor ticket sales. Some of the games had maybe 500 people there, it was an embarrassment.

Even outside of UConn games, it would be difficult to pull as poorly as the tourney did when it was in Memphis, so this decision makes sense. It's really a shame for the conference, because Memphis has a beautiful arena, it's a nice location given Beale St. right next door, it's a reasonably drive for most of the conference members etc., even if UConn is never going to draw well there.

In Hartford the situation will be the opposite.... I hope these upgrades do something to spruce up the arena, because it's going to be tough to compare to the beautiful FedEx Forum, and if they're not significant we're not going to want to showcase that embarrassment of a venue to the world in prime time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom