2015-2016 Schedule Released (13 CBS/ESPN/ESPN2 Games) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2015-2016 Schedule Released (13 CBS/ESPN/ESPN2 Games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A few observations:

1. XL season ticket holders are the big winners here. Cincinnati, SMU, and Temple all come to Hartford for the second year in a row (and in Cincinnati's case, the fifth year in a row). Clearly, the powers that be are prioritizing the Hartford base.

2. Exposure continues to be a positive. Yes, we miss the Big Monday games vs. Syracuse and Pitt, but primetime weekend games against Ohio State and Georgetown (the second of which preludes an NFL playoff game) on CBS? Not bad. 11 ESPN/ESPN2 games, also not bad.

3. All in all, great schedule. Our perspectives will always be skewed because of what once was, but this schedule isn't tough to get excited about.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
When we get into the ACC/B1G and have more $$ flowing in, I hope they do us a favor and play the XL games during holidays/winter break, with the rest at Gampel. Way too many games at XL right now, a huge farce.

I'm an alumnus for the record.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
XL season ticket holders are the big winners here. Cincinnati, SMU, and Temple all come to Hartford for the second year in a row.
Isn't that enough to make you wanna cry?

Reaction Score
Am I the only one thinking that we have a weak schedule compared with schools from big conferences like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina and the like? Even Cuse. Yes I understand what conference we are in. Also regarding TV schedule we are second tier for nationally televised with a wide audience. Big Monday? Super Tuesday? How about CBS Saturday games of the week all winter? It is what it is, we have to nail the non conference, and this year's team can do it but I'm not going to pretend.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
A few observations:

1. XL season ticket holders are the big winners here. Cincinnati, SMU, and Temple all come to Hartford for the second year in a row (and in Cincinnati's case, the fifth year in a row). Clearly, the powers that be are prioritizing the Hartford base.

2. Exposure continues to be a positive. Yes, we miss the Big Monday games vs. Syracuse and Pitt, but primetime weekend games against Ohio State and Georgetown (the second of which preludes an NFL playoff game) on CBS? Not bad. 11 ESPN/ESPN2 games, also not bad.

3. All in all, great schedule. Our perspectives will always be skewed because of what once was, but this schedule isn't tough to get excited about.
Like it or not when UConn lands in the B!G that conference will insist on games play at the XL or for UConn to build an arena with double the seating of Gampel on campus.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one thinking that we have a weak schedule compared with schools from big conferences like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina and the like? Even Cuse. Yes I understand what conference we are in. Also regarding TV schedule we are second tier for nationally televised with a wide audience. Big Monday? Super Tuesday? How about CBS Saturday games of the week all winter? It is what it is, we have to nail the non conference, and this year's team can do it but I'm not going to pretend.

Are you surprised that our schedule isn't as good as teams who play in better leagues? Or are you talking about the non-conference schedule?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
the real killer is no way will KO be able to recruit players to the aac like getting three top 100 guys in a class is gonna be impossible

Reaction Score
Are you surprised that our schedule isn't as good as teams who play in better leagues? Or are you talking about the non-conference schedule?
Not surprised, but I'd like some cupcakes replaced. I realize that it's tough to make the schedule tougher because the teams that we want to play have their own tough leagues' scheds to deal with. I want us to be promoted on TV the way other teams are who have our National Championship accomplishments (not counting UCLA). Watch the promos for CBB on ESPN. Duke and Kentucky are promo'ed every 10 minutes. I'm grouchy today.

Reaction Score
@tcf15 How many ESPN/ESPN2/CBS games did we have last year? would be interested to see how this is trending.

I think 14 or 15. But we have 2 CBS games this year, only 1 last year.

Also, when we had 14/15, we were top 4 in the nation with Louisville, Duke, Kentucky.

Also, it isn't showing the Bahamas tourney for TV. Hard to fathom that ESPN or someone else wouldn't pickup a UConn/Syracuse game.

Reaction Score

What do you mean second tier?

We are a top 5 school in terms of exposure on the big 3 channels (CBS/ESPN/ESPN2).

Reaction Score
Not surprised, but I'd like some cupcakes replaced. I realize that it's tough to make the schedule tougher because the teams that we want to play have their own tough leagues' scheds to deal with. I want us to be promoted on TV the way other teams are who have our National Championship accomplishments (not counting UCLA). Watch the promos for CBB on ESPN. Duke and Kentucky are promo'ed every 10 minutes. I'm grouchy today.
Michigan, Georgetown, Texas, Syracuse, Ohio State and Maryland out of conference isn't good enough? What exactly were you expecting?

Reaction Score
If our conference is much stronger then I eat my words. We have Ohio State Dec and Georgetown on the real CBS so that's good, but if we don't have ranked teams to play in Jan and Feb then it hurts our SOS. I'm not an expert on ESPNU and CBS offshoots on exposure and ratings but that seems like second tier exposure compared to the mothership where Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina live. BTW, the recruiting news today fixed my mood, all is well.

Reaction Score
2 years ago there was a game like that against Yale I think.... Middle of the afternoon on a weekday at XL. The one where Bazz had his triple double. My boss gave me a ticket he got from one of our vendors and told me to take the rest of the day off because he knew I was such a fan. Playing hookie to watch a game adds an extra layer of excitement to the mix

This is correct, I was watching it during my accounting class. (Sorry Dick Kochanek)

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score

Also, when we had 14/15, we were top 4 in the nation with Louisville, Duke, Kentucky.

Also, it isn't showing the Bahamas tourney for TV. Hard to fathom that ESPN or someone else wouldn't pickup a UConn/Syracuse game.

As long as UConn beats Michigan, the potential Cuse game would be on ESPN as would the championship game for Atlantis. Losers bracket games are all on AXS with the 2 opening round games.

Reaction Score
If our conference is much stronger then I eat my words. We have Ohio State Dec and Georgetown on the real CBS so that's good, but if we don't have ranked teams to play in Jan and Feb then it hurts our SOS. I'm not an expert on ESPNU and CBS offshoots on exposure and ratings but that seems like second tier exposure compared to the mothership where Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina live. BTW, the recruiting news today fixed my mood, all is well.

I was talking about CBS, the mothership and ESPN2, not the offshoots (ESPN 2 is actually in more homes than ESPN). We were top 5 in the nation on those channels last year and the year before. This year it appears we have one less game on those 3 channels. But we still don't know who is carrying the Bahamas games. We may be facing Michigan, Syracuse and Gonzaga. Surely, someone good will want to show those. Or maybe not.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
the @Tulsa game is slated for ESPN/ESPN2? I'm sure the average fan channel surfing will love that.

It's going to be on the Ocho.

Reaction Score
@tcf15 How many ESPN/ESPN2/CBS games did we have last year? would be interested to see how this is trending.

19 last year including postseason (16 regular season):

ESPN2: 11 regular season + 1 AACT + 1 NIT
ESPN: 3 regular season + 1 AACT
CBS: 2 regular season

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
the @Tulsa game is slated for ESPN/ESPN2? I'm sure the average fan channel surfing will love that.

Why wouldn't they?

There's a decent chance that's a game between two top-25 teams when it happens.

There's a reason ESPN thought to put it on the schedule.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The schedule's fine.

The bad - You gotta try to game the RPI. Everyone plays cupcakes, but you gotta make sure you don't grab those 300+ RPI cupcakes. We never get that memo....if UConn wants to automatically raise their RPI and not risk a loss, let me handle six cupcake games. I'll have six diet cupcakes on the schedule in no time.

The good - The top of the schedule looks great.

Bonus good- Saturday games. I assume UConn told the AAC where to go with putting us everywhere but Connecticut on Saturdays.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I was talking about CBS, the mothership and ESPN2, not the offshoots (ESPN 2 is actually in more homes than ESPN). We were top 5 in the nation on those channels last year and the year before. This year it appears we have one less game on those 3 channels. But we still don't know who is carrying the Bahamas games. We may be facing Michigan, Syracuse and Gonzaga. Surely, someone good will want to show those. Or maybe not.
The semis and final, which would be cuse and potentially Gonzaga would be 2 more ESPN games.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The schedule's fine.

The bad - You gotta try to game the RPI. Everyone plays cupcakes, but you gotta make sure you don't grab those 300+ RPI cupcakes. We never get that memo....if UConn wants to automatically raise their RPI and not risk a loss, let me handle six cupcake games. I'll have six diet cupcakes on the schedule in no time.

The good - The top of the schedule looks great.

Bonus good- Saturday games. I assume UConn told the AAC where to go with putting us everywhere but Connecticut on Saturdays.

No kidding. The saturday thing really stung all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom