2014 Sox | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2014 Sox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Drew and Napoli both come back I think the Sox actively market Middlebrooks in the winter and there will be suitors. Despite his flaws, he's hit 32 HR's in 615 AB's in the big leagues. With pitchers taking back the sport, those are numbers that will make GM's consider talking turkey when Cherrington calls.
And after the offseason Cherrington just had, I trust him to make the right move AS LONG AS HE DOESN'T TRADE FOR ANOTHER RELIEVER.
I don't think Drew is coming back. He is looking for a longer term deal and the Sox are only willing to go one year. I think he will end up signing with the Yankees. I think Napoli comes back and that gives the Sox an infield of Middlebrooks, Bogaerts, Pedroia and Napoli. Not bad. Ellsbury is gone too but I think you put Jackie Bradley out there and give him at least two months to show what he can do. Bottom line, I would not be looking at any major trades if I were Ben. This is already a great team.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't think Drew is coming back. He is looking for a longer term deal and the Sox are only willing to go one year. I think he will end up signing with the Yankees. I think Napoli comes back and that gives the Sox an infield of Middlebrooks, Bogaerts, Pedroia and Napoli. Not bad. Ellsbury is gone too but I think you put Jackie Bradley out there and give him at least two months to show what he can do. Bottom line, I would not be looking at any major trades if I were Ben. This is already a great team.

Sox interested in Beltran. Extremely likely to be a short term deal as the guy is 37. They will give up their first rounder but will get two sandwich picks if Drew and Ellsbury sign elsewhere. Agreed, no major trades are needed.

Regarding Drew to the Yankees: They need a bona fide shortstop to spell Jeter. A run of the mill utility guy won't cut it, but I'm not so sure they give up a first round pick to fill that roll. Cashman has to do his best Gene Michael impersonation and build up the farm system like its 1992. Tough to do without draft picks and if they give up their 1st rounder, it should be for someone with a higher ceiling than Drew.

Reaction Score
If Drew and Napoli both come back I think the Sox actively market Middlebrooks in the winter and there will be suitors. Despite his flaws, he's hit 32 HR's in 615 AB's in the big leagues. With pitchers taking back the sport, those are numbers that will make GM's consider talking turkey when Cherrington calls.
And after the offseason Cherrington just had, I trust him to make the right move AS LONG AS HE DOESN'T TRADE FOR ANOTHER RELIEVER.
The latest rumor (Bleacher report) is that the Sox may trade Cecchini because of the log jam at 3B and because of Cecchini's trade value. I believe Cecchini is a LH hitter and that may make Middlebrooks more valuable in Fenway. It is possible that the Sox spend the money and get McCann and send Cecchini somewhere for RH power.

Reaction Score
The latest rumor (Bleacher report) is that the Sox may trade Cecchini because of the log jam at 3B and because of Cecchini's trade value. I believe Cecchini is a LH hitter and that may make Middlebrooks more valuable in Fenway. It is possible that the Sox spend the money and get McCann and send Cecchini somewhere for RH power.
Cecchini is indeed a left handed hitter but so was Wade Boggs and he did OK at Fenway. Cecchini is also has good speed and he walks more than he strikes out. I would like to see the Sox hang on to both. If Middlebrooks learns the strike zone, he could be our solution at first base down the road. Carlos Ruiz might be a better solution at catcher. I think they could sign him for one or two years while the prospects develop. McCann will be looking for a longer term deal.

I don't know who does the bleacher report but I hope it isn't Chad Finn. He'd like to see the Sox trade all of their prospects for Giancarlo Stanton. I think that would be a huge mistake.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Red Sox tried stacking their line-ups with right handed power for 84 years. What did it get them? Mostly, 25 players, 25 cabs. Then a 28 year old Yale wunderkind comes along, armed with the knowledge that there is more to baseball than the Homerun, RBI, stolen base, and to which pitcher a win is credited.

Fenway is actually better suited for a lefty line drive hitter. Yes, straight away right field is 380 ft. but for hitters like Williams, Lynn, Boggs, Buckner, Vaughn, Nixon, Damon, and Papi, going the other way off the wall is nearly as good as going over the wall. If there is a man on, he almost definitely scores, and it keeps the pitcher in the stretch, when they would most definitely rather pitch from the wind up. Even relievers who pitch exclusively out of the stretch would rather have the bases clear than man on 2nd.

Reaction Score
The Red Sox tried stacking their line-ups with right handed power for 84 years. What did it get them? Mostly, 25 players, 25 cabs. Then a 28 year old Yale wunderkind comes along, armed with the knowledge that there is more to baseball than the Homerun, RBI, stolen base, and to which pitcher a win is credited.

Fenway is actually better suited for a lefty line drive hitter. Yes, straight away right field is 380 ft. but for hitters like Williams, Lynn, Boggs, Buckner, Vaughn, Nixon, Damon, and Papi, going the other way off the wall is nearly as good as going over the wall. If there is a man on, he almost definitely scores, and it keeps the pitcher in the stretch, when they would most definitely rather pitch from the wind up. Even relievers who pitch exclusively out of the stretch would rather have the bases clear than man on 2nd.
The 2013 team had Napoli from the right side and that was it for power. It is more a question of the lineup than the park. BTW, if Ted Williams ever hit the LF wall it was a mistake. He was a dead pull hitter and the Williams shift was the first drastic shift that I can recall and I go back to the 50's.

Reaction Score
The 2013 team had Napoli from the right side and that was it for power. It is more a question of the lineup than the park. BTW, if Ted Williams ever hit the LF wall it was a mistake. He was a dead pull hitter and the Williams shift was the first drastic shift that I can recall and I go back to the 50's.
Dan, you're just a kid. I started rooting for the Sox in 1948. I actually saw Ted Williams lay down a bunt against the shift. He laughed all the way to first.

Reaction Score
Dan, you're just a kid. I started rooting for the Sox in 1948. I actually saw Ted Williams lay down a bunt against the shift. He laughed all the way to first.
You are an old fart! Do you mainline Geritol?
Only saw Williams bat once live in Yankee Stadium (my family are Yankee fans so never got to Fenway as a kid). It was on a little league trip in his last year in the second game of a double header and he didn't play in the first game. Sox down by 2, he PH the first pitch into the Yankee bullpen in the 8th inning for a 3 run HR for what ended up being the winning hit. It is still my biggest thrill in sports.
I've seen all the great hitters since then but Williams was in a class by himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom