2014 Recruits | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2014 Recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Personally, if we were to get Wilson, Calhoun and either Belton or Westbeld, I would be over the moon.

Definitely would like to see Wilson at UCONN, she's #1/#2 on about every ranking. Belton or Westbeld because we need some height and some inside presence down the road. Calhoun, well cause she is really, really good and we can keep it in the family. Rooks looks like a good get also.

I doubt we would get both Belton AND Westbeld or Calhoun AND Rooks. Probably too many at same position.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Dog and Ice - we all hope for a full and speedy recovery and no re-injury and the general stats are good on that front. But we have seen and heard from Uconn players in the past that it often takes a while for them to fully trust the repaired knee. KG took a year of playing well before she started playing really well. And a player who depends on their speed as a rule has a little more trouble adjusting. I expect BB to be playing well this year and to be healthy, but I am not sure she starts out that way from game one.
The other issue is that she is working her b__t off to rehab which means that she is not working on her game the way she did after her freshman year. She made a great leap forward last year, but it doesn't help that she can't physically be developing her game this off-season.
This is not negativity, just tempering some of the unbridled enthusiasm of the BY with a little reality check.
Reality check? In what way?

You are comparing two very different injuries when comparing Greene and Banks.

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_womens_basketball/2008/03/womens-basketball-kalana-green-3.html

And every player recovers differently. But based on reports, there is no reason to expect nothing less than a player that will be able to go full till when the season starts. Until we hear something else, why not be optimistic about it?

I haven't seen any unbridled enthusiasm about her situation.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I wasn't replying to you just to John Glass's question. Fact is that the recidivism rate is relatively low in most of the articles I've read but the one key element is the speed of return. Enough time must be given for complete healing and one of the central issues is that pain sensors are damaged through the surgery and the athlete may not be able to judge pain and stop to rest soon enough to avoid damage. That is where UCONN's great medical and training staff come in.

You're a curmudgeon compared to me when it comes to optimism. :D
Basically, I was also replying to John Glass by adding another article to yours. You took it as a comment to you. It wasn't.

Reaction Score
I like having a good big that can pass and set screens like Stef. She makes our offense go. If CD can teach the next big to be as good a psser and screener as Stef we should be fine. (Even if she is almost as good a passer as Stef). Wilson's offensive skills maybe better than Stef, but I just like the way our offense has continuity when Stef is in there. Keep in mind we need playmakers too. I think we will have that in Ekmark and Williams, and possibly Westbeld. We have been a little spoiled lately with Stewie. My gosh, she runs the floor, steals, blocks shots, shoots the 3, and can dunk. Will we see another like her in 10 years ?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I like having a good big that can pass and set screens like Stef. She makes our offense go. If CD can teach the next big to be as good a psser and screener as Stef we should be fine. (Even if she is almost as good a passer as Stef). Wilson's offensive skills maybe better than Stef, but I just like the way our offense has continuity when Stef is in there. Keep in mind we need playmakers too. I think we will have that in Ekmark and Williams, and possibly Westbeld. We have been a little spoiled lately with Stewie. My gosh, she runs the floor, steals, blocks shots, shoots the 3, and can dunk. Will we see another like her in 10 years ?
Uconn has won with a big like Dolson and without a big like Dolson.

Geno will adjust to his roster. One year with KML, Stewart and Wilson would be amazing. Two with Stewart and Wilson will be fantastic. No matter who plays center.

Reaction Score
When I commented about Banks coming back... I did not mean anything by it other than normally when people come back from an injury like that they tend to take some time to get back into game shape and it takes a while to get them back to the type of player they once were. I am trying to remember the last ACL tear where the person came back the next season with the same spring in their step the same speed, the same in general.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I wasn't replying to you just to John Glass's question. Fact is that the recidivism rate is relatively low in most of the articles I've read but the one key element is the speed of return. Enough time must be given for complete healing and one of the central issues is that pain sensors are damaged through the surgery and the athlete may not be able to judge pain and stop to rest soon enough to avoid damage. That is where UCONN's great medical and training staff come in.

You're a curmudgeon compared to me when it comes to optimism. :D

Ice, the only damage to nerves occurs when a compromised ACL is replaced with a patellar tendon autograft. In that case (like mine) a palm-size area of skin on the lateral side of and just below the kneecap loses sensation due to the incision where the graft is harvested. It feels weird, but has nothing to do with judging stress or overuse of the muscles, ligaments or structures in the knee.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ice, the only damage to nerves occurs when a compromised ACL is replaced with a patellar tendon autograft. In that case (like mine) a palm-size area of skin on the lateral side of and just below the kneecap loses sensation due to the incision where the graft is harvested. It feels weird, but has nothing to do with judging stress or overuse of the muscles, ligaments or structures in the knee.
Simply reporting what was cited in the linked studies. I have no basis one way or another to judge the situation. I can say that I still have nerve/sensory issues in my knee where I had the quad reattachment. Whether those nerves were affects from the original tear or the reparative surgery I can't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom