2014 Recruits | The Boneyard

2014 Recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Some questions (at the end) about the 2014 class.

Ok we know the following verbals:
Courtney Ekmark (G 6-0)
Gabby Williams (G 5-11)
Sadie Edwards (G 5-10)

The recruits we've been associated with (recently, I haven't heard anything on Drummer in awhile):
A'ja Wilson (F 6-5)
Kathryn Westbeld (F 6-2)
Lynee Belton (F 6-2)
and
Sierra Calhoun (W 6-0)
Taylor Rooks (W 6-0)
Lexi Gussert (G/W 6-0)

Assuming Geno can't take all 6 (actually there are only 5 scholarships left anyway) and assuming they would all want to come,
How many do you think he would take? 2? 3? 4? 5?
Which players would be your priority? 1 big 1 wing, 2 bigs and a wing, 2 of each, 3 bigs a wing, 1 big and 3 wings, etc. ????
Which players do you think are Geno's priority?
In your fantasy scenario who do we get???

Reaction Score
Wilson and one of the two other forwards and at most one of the wings. So, 2 or 3 more.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It may depend on what Geno foresees in 2015 in terms of talent and likelihood of recruiting, but I think Wilson is wanted/needed for sure. She seems like a transcendental player. Then 1-2 more. I like Westbeld and Calhoun, but the other kids sound good too.

The 3 recruits so far are fairly tall for their positions, but we need some kids at 6'2" and bigger.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
I think Geno will take at least two more maybe three. Considering who we already have, adding Wilson would make UCONN'S 2014 class the best in the country. Adding one or two more additional recruits would make this class equal or better then the 2012 class. We can only hope!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It seems like Wilson is most sought, possibly Westbeld next. Should both commit, pure joy on the Boneyard and "Good luck, kid!" message for the others.

On the other hand, should Calhoun commit, at least one "big" will jump on the train before it leaves the station.

Geno is holding good cards and knows how to play them. Meanwhile, I'm sure there's a lot of texting going on.

Reaction Score
To me,this is kind of sitting in a fancy restaurant,trying to figure out which gourmet steaks the family will have tonight.Myself,I would be very happy with any three or four of those young ladies posted,and I trust Geno will have an exceptional class when all is said and done!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To me,this is kind of sitting in a fancy restaurant,trying to figure out which gourmet steaks the family will have tonight.Myself,I would be very happy with any three or four of those young ladies posted,and I trust Geno will have an exceptional class when all is said and done!
And I'll bring the wine!

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
It will be a celebratory feast IF we get Wilson. We just have to have a big. That must be the top priority, in my view.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Westbeld would help in terms of size. Wilson is taller and might help more in the height department. But the key with Wilson is that she's really, really good. Think Stewie. Think Candace Parker. Think skills we've rarely--or maybe never--seen before.

Reaction Score
Wilson and Calhoun. Save the other scholarships for the following year.

Reactions: HGN

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Think skills we've rarely--or maybe never--seen before.

Your memory is too short.

I am reminded of the occasion when Marilyn Monroe returned from her triumphant visit to entertain troops in Korea. She was understandably giddy and exuberant when she told her hubby, Joe DiMaggio, "Oh, Joe! Thousands of men standing and yelling and screaming! You've never heard anything like it!!!"

Joe never batted and eye as he responded quietly: "Yes I have."

Reaction Score
A'ja and Kathryn for me.
To me it looks like 3 groups with room for 1 from each.

Group 1
A'ja Wilson

Group 2
Sierra Calhoun
Lexi Gussert
Taylor Rooks

Group 3
Lynee Belton
Kathryn Westbeld

Reaction Score
Wilson and Calhoun. Save the other scholarships for the following year.

Why? if he goes with five.... he would have 12 players if I am thinking about this correctly. If he goes with 4 like you suggest he only has 11.

While a smaller roster allows the students to play more... I would like to see a larger roster so individuals can be rested and if we have an injury or two we can try to make an adjustment. Next year with 9 players, and having Banks coming back from her ACL tear... I hope she is okay, but I am nervous about that.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Banks coming back from her ACL tear... I hope she is okay, but I am nervous about that.

Why? Has there been any indication that her rehab isn't going well?

The majority of players come back fine after 6-8 months. And even more have no re injury issues.

Lets try a little positive thinking with Banks. And I'm not just saying this to you, but other posters who have posted similar thoughts.

Reaction Score
Why? if he goes with five.... he would have 12 players if I am thinking about this correctly. If he goes with 4 like you suggest he only has 11.

While a smaller roster allows the students to play more... I would like to see a larger roster so individuals can be rested and if we have an injury or two we can try to make an adjustment. Next year with 9 players, and having Banks coming back from her ACL tear... I hope she is okay, but I am nervous about that.
We actually agree about five being the number. He already has Gabby Williams, Courtney Ekmark and Sadie Edwards. Wilson and Calhoun would make it five. Then he has scholarships to reload for the next class.

Reaction Score
Sorry you are correct. For some reason I was thinking 4. Mainly because I was hoping for a class of 6 myself. Ekmark, Edwards, Williams, along side Wilson, Westbeld, and Calhoun.

Just think if I had my way... we would have two e's, three w's and a c.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If UConn secures the commitment of A'ja Wilson, there's a very real chance that UConn wins the next five NCs. BTW, I'm not sure that's a good thing, though as a fan and Connecticut resident, I'd certainly enjoy it. But with KML and Breanna seeming to be as advertised, getting three national #1s in four years would really tip the balance of power to the level it would have been had EDD stayed at Uconn.

Reaction Score
If UConn secures the commitment of A'ja Wilson, there's a very real chance that UConn wins the next five NCs. BTW, I'm not sure that's a good thing, though as a fan and Connecticut resident, I'd certainly enjoy it. But with KML and Breanna seeming to be as advertised, getting three national #1s in four years would really tip the balance of power to the level it would have been had EDD stayed at Uconn.
Don't forget that Asia Durr who has UCONN as one of her top schools the following year. If I am not mistaken she is also a #1.

Reaction Score
Why? Has there been any indication that her rehab isn't going well?

The majority of players come back fine after 6-8 months. And even more have no re injury issues.

Lets try a little positive thinking with Banks. And I'm not just saying this to you, but other posters who have posted similar thoughts.

What are the stats regarding re-injury ? 10% , 20%, or higher ?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I love second chances. :)

Or, as Neaggrad notes, let's go one better and nab 4 straight no. 1s.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Here is one more.

http://lowerextremityreview.com/article/rehab-speeds-return-after-acl-surgery

Based on everything I've read, odds are good that Banks will be back to her former self and will not be reinjured. That was my only point. Why focus on the negative?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Here is one more.

http://lowerextremityreview.com/article/rehab-speeds-return-after-acl-surgery

Based on everything I've read, odds are good that Banks will be back to her former self and will not be reinjured. That was my only point. Why focus on the negative?

I wasn't replying to you just to John Glass's question. Fact is that the recidivism rate is relatively low in most of the articles I've read but the one key element is the speed of return. Enough time must be given for complete healing and one of the central issues is that pain sensors are damaged through the surgery and the athlete may not be able to judge pain and stop to rest soon enough to avoid damage. That is where UCONN's great medical and training staff come in.

You're a curmudgeon compared to me when it comes to optimism. :D

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Dog and Ice - we all hope for a full and speedy recovery and no re-injury and the general stats are good on that front. But we have seen and heard from Uconn players in the past that it often takes a while for them to fully trust the repaired knee. KG took a year of playing well before she started playing really well. And a player who depends on their speed as a rule has a little more trouble adjusting. I expect BB to be playing well this year and to be healthy, but I am not sure she starts out that way from game one.
The other issue is that she is working her b__t off to rehab which means that she is not working on her game the way she did after her freshman year. She made a great leap forward last year, but it doesn't help that she can't physically be developing her game this off-season.
This is not negativity, just tempering some of the unbridled enthusiasm of the BY with a little reality check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom