2014 Recruiting Class Wish List? | The Boneyard

2014 Recruiting Class Wish List?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I haven't been following recruiting this year like I usually do, so I'm curious as to what's in your recruiting wish list.

So far we have the following:

Daniel Hamilton - The versatile and long wing-guard that some say can play the both the 2 or the 3 and handles like a 1. Sounds like one of the most all around talented wings we've had since Caron who could do so many things from rebounding, scoring from deep and in the paint and dish out a few dimes.

Rodney Purvis - Combo Guard that looked more 2 than 1 last season. If he shows in practice while sitting out this season that he has solid Lead Guard skills, we'll be in good shape at the one. With that said if Bazz and Boat both bolt to the NBA after this season, that would leave us with just Purvis and the incoming 2013 freshman Terrence Sammuel, who comes with mixed reviews.

What we might need:

Bigs - With second year big, Nolan and incoming freshmen, Brimah and Facey (if we ever suits up for us) we have 3 that can log some of the 80 minutes at the 4 & 5. What 2 2014 bigs do you want? What 2 bigs do you think we have a shot at landing? For the 4, I keep on hearing Robinson and Abu, but I don't know much about Robinson or his interest in UConn, and I keep on hearing other programs and not UConn as Abu's likely landing spot. As for the 5, it sounds like Chuckwu only, and for a big who's right in our back yard, it doesn't sound like he's given UConn much props. Based on past outcomes with local talent, the ones that don't talk-up UConn usually don't end up in Storrs.

Wing - Omar & Hamilton can be interchangeable at the 2 & 3, so the need doesn't look dire, but is there a 2014 wing think we have a shot at and would like to add? Are we still in the mix for Oubre?

Point - Between Purvis & Sammuel we have two possible candidates, but Purvis might turn out to be more Ben than Kemba and Sammuel might be more of an off-the-bench fill-in talent. Seems the need is big. With Perkins not visiting, it seems unlikely he lands here. Are we down to just Quentin Snider, who sounds like a good fit? So who do you want and think we have a good shot at landing?

So what's you're 2014 wish List? Will any of the names we're hearing now end up part of our 2014 class?

Reaction Score
Rodney Purvis
Daniel Hamilton
Tyus Jones
Jahlil Okafor
Stanley Johnson

Not a bad class.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Rodney Purvis
Daniel Hamilton
Tyus Jones
Jahlil Okafor
Stanley Johnson

Not a bad class.

I thought the ship has sailed on Okafor?

Reaction Score
Emmanuel Mudiay, Jahlil Okafor, Stanley Johnson and a reclassified Malik Newman

Reaction Score
Hamilton - SF/Wing
Abu - PF
Chukwu - C
McLaughlin/Snider - PG
Chatman/Robinson - Bonus Forward Depth (assuming Daniels and/or Boatright declare next year).
If both declare, save the 1 scholarship for the following season.

Reaction Score
Hamilton - Good length, with enough ballhandling skills to play the 3 in college

Abu or Robinson - Depending on whether we're willing to commit to a beefier front line with a traditional power forward at the 4 or if we're going to continue with a Daniels-type wing-forward at the 4.

Perkins or Snider - One or the other. Purvis isn't a point guard and Samuel isn't good enough to handle the ball 30 minutes for a championship-caliber team.

Chukwu would be nice, but it would be embarrassing to have 3 post players buried deep on the depth chart (Nolan, Facey, Brimah). I hope one of them can step up and make getting a center in 2014 moot, or else we're going to have a lot of wasted scholarships. Though I suppose you can never have too much depth.

I'd get those 4 (or comparable).

Reaction Score
Rodney, DHam, Chukwu, Snider and give me any other wings/forwards from Oubre, Abu, Robinson, Larrier............

Give KO and the staff some additions to Rodney, Hamilton, Nolan, Brimah, Calhoun, Facey, Samuel, Tolksdorf and they'll be fine!!

Reaction Score
Hamilton - Good length, with enough ballhandling skills to play the 3 in college

Abu or Robinson - Depending on whether we're willing to commit to a beefier front line with a traditional power forward at the 4 or if we're going to continue with a Daniels-type wing-forward at the 4.

Perkins or Snider - One or the other. Purvis isn't a point guard and Samuel isn't good enough to handle the ball 30 minutes for a championship-caliber team.

Chukwu would be nice, but it would be embarrassing to have 3 post players buried deep on the depth chart (Nolan, Facey, Brimah). I hope one of them can step up and make getting a center in 2014 moot, or else we're going to have a lot of wasted scholarships. Though I suppose you can never have too much depth.

I'd get those 4 (or comparable).

Chukwu and Brimah would be the true centers, Facey is smallish PF for now but with weight could be a nice PF and actually could play a 3 with that body (don't know enough about the handle) and Nolan could certainly end up playing PF/C at anytime as he is athletic enough no doubt!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Welcome back, DM. I wondered where you had gone off to. For PF, we were on Leron Black, Abu, with a lower ranked Colson (?) a step behind. Things with Black cooled big time and Ollie went all in trying to get Abu, but Cooley at PC has been recruiting him forever and we were a step behind. Abu looks like he has great potential, but ranked lower that would be expected based on how he looks on videos. Abu would be perfect for the Huskies...strong, aggressive, a real PF body with springs in his legs. We were hoping that Florida would sign Black to make Abu less likely to go there. Abu has talked about the possibility of playing in college with his good friend Terrell (SG) and PC is the only school that is on both of their final lists. I haven't seen video on Colson, but he's a shorter but long-armed kid who is aggressive and skilled and might be a very alternative if we miss on Abu.

Devin Robinson is another thin, athletic player who has been shooting up the rankings, but UConn has been on him early. He's more of a tall 3 than a real 4, but looks talented. Another kid named Larrier has come on the scene and looks similar (to me) to Robinson. Both good looking players, but thin. Kelly Oubre is a top wing who we have been after, but he has been linked more with KU and might have overlapped too much with DH and RP. Good aggressive player.

We have been trying to get a top flight PG to sign and have seemed to have put a full-court press on Josh Perkins, a very good all around looking PG with very good court vision (a little like Marcus Williams, but a better athlete). Also on the list of McLaughlin. The best bet might be Quentin Snider who decommitted from UL and has already set up a visit with UConn. He looks very good, not as flashy as Perkins, but skilled player.

Centers: Chukwu seems to be heading to PC, but we are still in the running. Okonoboh is on our list, but little talk about him and some feel we won't sign him because he is a cousin of Oriakhi.

So, at this point, my wish list tempered by the recent developments is that we pull in Abu, Snider, and Robinson. Let's take Colson too (or if we miss out on Abu).

caw

Reaction Score
How many recruits do you think UConn goes after? 4-6 open spots, if you include Purvis that is 5-7 new guys.

Recruits on th board
PG: Snider, Perkins, McLaughlin then Tejada then Watson
SG: Vaughn, Carrington, Blackmon
SF: Oubre, Robinson (PF?), Chatman, Larrier
PF: Abu, Black, Colson
C: Chukwu, Okonoboh

I think that is everyone. I want:

PG: McLaughlin
SG: Purvis
SF: Hamilton
PF: Abu
C: Chukwu

I would leave the two (Boatright an Daniels) scholarships open until Spring and try to get another fifth year kid and maybe a transfer.

I would be giddy with:
PG: Snider/Perkins
SG: Purvis
SF: Hamilton
PF: Black or Robinson
C: Okonoboh

Larrier, Oubre and Vaughn you obviously take, but are not positions of need in the class.

I could see takin Tejada and looking for a PG who can transfer and play immediately if Snider/Perkins/McLaughlin fall through.

Reaction Score
So, at this point, my wish list tempered by the recent developments is that we pull in Abu, Snider, and Robinson. Let's take Colson too (or if we miss out on Abu).

Dogbreath2U

Who is atop Black's list? If it is Florida, then chances are, FL will take Black over Abu, just my 2-cents.

Reaction Score
Dogbreath2U

Who is atop Black's list? If it is Florida, then chances are, FL will take Black over Abu, just my 2-cents.
Black cut his list to Illinois, Indiana, Baylor & Tennessee earlier tonight.

Reaction Score
Wish/dream list:

McLaughlin PG
DHam SG
Oubre SF
Abu PF
Okonoboh C

realistically, I see us getting 1/2 more, snider & abu. Would love to bring in a true C though.

Reaction Score
Welcome back, DM. I wondered where you had gone off to....
It's been a busy summer. My wife was in the hospital for a few weeks and just came home last week. She's doing fine and on the road back to full health. We're taking some vacation time now, so I hope to have a little time to catch up on my Boneyarding.

Thanks DB and everyone for catching me up on UConn's recruiting and all your wish lists. Good to see KO with so many irons in the fire. I hope we land at least a couple of them.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's been a busy summer. My wife was in the hospital for a few weeks and just came home last week. She's doing fine and on the road back to full health. We're taking some vacation time now, so I hope to have a little time to catch up on my Boneyarding.

Thanks DB and everyone for catching me up on UConn's recruiting and all your wish lists. Good to see KO with so many irons in the fire. I hope we land at least a couple of them.
Glad she's doing well and glad you're back!

Reaction Score
Welcome back, DM. I wondered where you had gone off to. For PF, we were on Leron Black, Abu, with a lower ranked Colson (?) a step behind. Things with Black cooled big time and Ollie went all in trying to get Abu, but Cooley at PC has been recruiting him forever and we were a step behind. Abu looks like he has great potential, but ranked lower that would be expected based on how he looks on videos. Abu would be perfect for the Huskies...strong, aggressive, a real PF body with springs in his legs. We were hoping that Florida would sign Black to make Abu less likely to go there. Abu has talked about the possibility of playing in college with his good friend Terrell (SG) and PC is the only school that is on both of their final lists. I haven't seen video on Colson, but he's a shorter but long-armed kid who is aggressive and skilled and might be a very alternative if we miss on Abu.

Devin Robinson is another thin, athletic player who has been shooting up the rankings, but UConn has been on him early. He's more of a tall 3 than a real 4, but looks talented. Another kid named Larrier has come on the scene and looks similar (to me) to Robinson. Both good looking players, but thin. Kelly Oubre is a top wing who we have been after, but he has been linked more with KU and might have overlapped too much with DH and RP. Good aggressive player.

We have been trying to get a top flight PG to sign and have seemed to have put a full-court press on Josh Perkins, a very good all around looking PG with very good court vision (a little like Marcus Williams, but a better athlete). Also on the list of McLaughlin. The best bet might be Quentin Snider who decommitted from UL and has already set up a visit with UConn. He looks very good, not as flashy as Perkins, but skilled player.

Centers: Chukwu seems to be heading to PC, but we are still in the running. Okonoboh is on our list, but little talk about him and some feel we won't sign him because he is a cousin of Oriakhi.

Cooling on Black proved Kevin Ollie's recruiting stock is a BUY, BUY, BUY!!!

No player could turn a bull market bear faster than that kid.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Cooling on Black proved Kevin Ollie's recruiting stock is a BUY, BUY, BUY!!!

No player could turn a bull market bear faster than that kid.
It's why I want Abu more than any other recruit. Because KO wanted Abu more than any other recruit and we and many others believe KO really has a good idea regarding the type of players that are winners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom