2014 pg Mackenzie Calvert decommits Baylor | The Boneyard

2014 pg Mackenzie Calvert decommits Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Wow....to me, this quote says a lot: "Last week Calvert and her parents visited Baylor during the Lady Bears' team camp, which solidified their decision to reopen the recruiting process, and on Monday night notified Baylor coach Kim Mulkey by phone of McKenzie's decision to decommit."

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
One of Baylor's Asst Coaches that recently left had strong ties with DFW Elite. The AAU team that McKenzie plays for. I also believe one of the hires at Texas has ties to this same AAU program.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
286x350px-LL-66e7f52e_Misc_OhSnap_Bear_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Maybe the family has learned that ties may be untied, by choice, circumstance, or chance, and that selection of a University for athletics and academics has many criteria, all worthy of serious consideration…a process not possible in eighth grade.

Then again past behavior is a strong predictor of future behavior, so maybe not.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I wonder if there is more to what is going on at Baylor than we are aware of. As Siva said, the hits just keep coming for Baylor. Not a great time to be a Lady Bear fan... Seeing as she verbaled so early - in 8th grade - I don't know that many, if any, other schools were able to actually "recruit" her. Says she took a trip to Duke and her sister plays at nearby Winthrop. Maybe she ends up there?

Her father also said, in the article, that they decided to wait and see what other kids committed to Baylor. I guess they were less than impressed with the future and potential for the program. Really not a good sign at all for Kim.

Reaction Score
Seeing as she verbaled so early - in 8th grade - I don't know that many, if any, other schools were able to actually "recruit" her.

A non-binding verbal commitment, which is worth the paper it's not printed on, doesn't stop many schools from continuing to recruit a good player - especially that early in the recruiting process.

U

UCONNfan1

A non-binding verbal commitment, which is worth the paper it's not printed on, doesn't stop many schools from continuing to recruit a good player - especially that early in the recruiting process.
True but how many coaches are going to spend time and resources going after a kid if they are a solid verbal to a team? Maybe in this case they did. Especially given she verbled in 8th grade. Do you think any coaches are spinning their wheels right now going after Ekmark? Or Turner who verbled to ND. Seems doubtful. Not saying it's impossible, but it seems unlikely.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
8th grade is awfully young...things can change in those very formative years. If I were a coach with an 8th grade verbal, I would keep the lines of communication open.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm waiting for easttexastrash to chime in on this one...

Agreed!

While I think it's easy to attribute this to Baylor's recent troubles, it may just be because she committed at such a young age and wants to explore her options!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am not surprised, either. I had a feeling that when Turner chose ND that Calvert would decommit as she appears to be pretty close to Turner and her dad. I predict that Calvert ends up at ND with Turner.

I don't think Baylor will land a top recruit again for a long time and I don't think Mulkey will remain at Baylor to be part of a sinking ship. I look for her to leave for the next high profile job that comes along. I bet that she wishes she had gone for the LSU job since her son will be playing baseball there and she is a LA native.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I am not surprised, either. I had a feeling that when Turner chose ND that Calvert would decommit as she appears to be pretty close to Turner and her dad. I predict that Calvert ends up at ND with Turner.

I don't think Baylor will land a top recruit again for a long time and I don't think Mulkey will remain at Baylor to be part of a sinking ship. I look for her to leave for the next high profile job that comes along. I bet that she wishes she had gone for the LSU job since her son will be playing baseball there and she is a LA native.
I give you a lot of credit for being blunt and realistic about your assessment of Mulkey and the Baylor situation. Any idea what happened there? She won 2 NC's and has had a ton of success there. To predict she will jump from the sinking ship for the next high profile job that comes along indicates (to me anyway) that there is more going on there than meets the eye...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Eric, maybe my prediction on Mulkey is more reflective of my own feelings. I'm incredibly disappointed and I hope Mulkey also finds that environment to be one that she can no longer support, either. I know that I cannot and will not any longer.

I need my title changed from Baylor Aficionado to Free Agent.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
So, is the ship "sinking" because of Baylor's admin/policy or Mulkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom