2014 Brice McAllister | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2014 Brice McAllister

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Besides his offer from UConn, McAllister was also offered by Army, New Hampshire, Albany, Fordham, Lafayette, Holy Cross, Monmouth, Bryant, Columbia and Harvard.

Big time win here, good work PP

Agreed.

That offer list tells me two things:

1) This kid turned down two Ivy League schools in order to come here, suggesting that he believes his football skills are going to fluorish here.

2) This kid turned down two Ivy League schools, suggesting that his academics are at a level suitable for Ivy League admission.

Both are very good signs. He'll be one to watch for sure...

Reaction Score
Agreed.

That offer list tells me two things:

1) This kid turned down two Ivy League schools in order to come here, suggesting that he believes his football skills are going to fluorish here.

2) This kid turned down two Ivy League schools, suggesting that his academics are at a level suitable for Ivy League admission.

Both are very good signs. He'll be one to watch for sure...

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. I agree with your comments but I think he was taking a dig at PP. Another Debbie on the loose...I think.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. I agree with your comments but I think he was taking a dig at PP. Another Debbie on the loose...I think.

The best way to respond to a sarcastic Debbie is to "agree" with them. Works every time... ;)

Reaction Score
either did Newsome.

Then again, only here can Harvard be considered less than prestigious.

The Boneyard - The place to turn to find a grey cloud on an otherwise clear, sunny day

Reaction Score
That's a very strong list academically with the exception of Monmouth. The kid is pretty sharp. I'll take a smart kid with some skills all day long over kids that never even get here due to grades.

Hopefully, he is better than his offer list would indicate. Good size and good hands.

Reaction Score
Nick Williams' other offers were Towson and Army, that turned out great for UCONN. Easley probably didn't have any offers. Difton was a four star recruit on some sites and had many offers.

Reaction Score
Nick Williams' other offers were Towson and Army, that turned out great for UCONN. Easley probably didn't have any offers. Difton was a four star recruit on some sites and had many offers.

exception.....not the rule

Reaction Score
tends to be the rule at UConn.

I'm with you man, over the years we've been lucky on a lot of the recruits we bring in. I'm just saying, generally the "strikeout" ratio with 2/3 star recruits is most likely much higher than 4/5 star recruits

I wanted Jadevean Clowney to be awful because I wanted the recruiting websites to eat crow big time.....yeah

Reaction Score
I'm with you man, over the years we've been lucky on a lot of the recruits we bring in. I'm just saying, generally the "strikeout" ratio with 2/3 star recruits is most likely much higher than 4/5 star recruits

I wanted Jadevean Clowney to be awful because I wanted the recruiting websites to eat crow big time.....yeah

Good character, good athletic ability plus good coaching is not luck. It has been the formula pre PP that has put a dozen or so "lucky" student ahtletes into the NFL.

The point being if you have the right formula in place you can be successful. RU has blown us away in recruiting rankings but have diddly to show for it.

IMO the key is character kids who have not quite hit full stride in high school. Edsall and his staff were great at seeing this and coached them up like no other. Some 4/5 star kids have already peaked so when they get to college they are just average.

There are many more 2/3 star kids than 4/5 star kids so naturally there will be a bigger flame out.

Stars only mean something if our guys get a lot of them. Otherwise they are meaningless. :cool:

Reaction Score
It's a great quote. But as he didn't turn down any more prestigious offers to take ours, it's sort of meaningless, isn't it?

If you assume he could not get a more prestigious offer between now and Feb perhaps, since any of the big 5 conference teams would be more prestigious even a Pitt or Fruit offer would be better. Guess Lutrus saying he liked UConn and thought UConn could be one of the best LB groups in the country would have also been meaningless since he had no other more prestigious offers. Our Texas QB recruit hyping UConn likewise pretty meaningless as where else was he offered.

Reaction Score
If you assume he could not get a more prestigious offer between now and Feb perhaps, since any of the big 5 conference teams would be more prestigious even a Pitt or Fruit offer would be better. Guess Lutrus saying he liked UConn and thought UConn could be one of the best LB groups in the country would have also been meaningless since he had no other more prestigious offers. Our Texas QB recruit hyping UConn likewise pretty meaningless as where else was he offered.

Actually, yes. I am saying that what a young man says when he verbals to UConn, and he had no comparable offers, is not meaningful. I can't imagine why you think that the fact that we've had outstanding players who came to us with no other offers changes the meaninglessness of self serving statements.

Reaction Score
Actually, yes. I am saying that what a young man says when he verbals to UConn, and he had no comparable offers, is not meaningful. I can't imagine why you think that the fact that we've had outstanding players who came to us with no other offers changes the meaninglessness of self serving statements.

Because without the meaninglessness of self serving statements there would be no Boneyard!

Reaction Score
Way, way, way too much emphasis on the recruiting sites. If you are pulling in top 10 classes, then sure, it's indicative to a great degree. But, much past that there are too many variables and inconsistancies to draw hard conclusions.

One small example. Kid Difton comes to UCONN as a 4* with mutliple (reportedly) offers. Gets on the field for his first game as a true frosh, catches a short pass, corner wraps him up, safety strips the ball, corner then throws him down like a rag doll just for good measure. The kid was not even remotely ready for that level of play. Not even close. Some tallent? Sure. But a far cry from an elite talent at that stage. In the same class was a 2* kid Lang who was by far and away a better athlete and showed it on the field. He couldn't stay in school, but that's another matter. Countless examples of this type of stuff.

McAllister has an impressive list of offers from wonderful academic institutions. If the coaches think he can play at this level you give that type of kid a shot. This is a very good get.

Reaction Score
exception.....not the rule

Well, then, there are countless exceptions. The LB from BC a couple of years ago, Kuechly (sp?) is easily one of the best LBs in college I have EVER seen. Different level of play the moment he stepped on the field and it has gone right on through his rookie year in the NFL. Recruiting sites had no appreciation for what that kid was, probably becuase he wasn't going to an SEC or BiG program. Put another way, Manti Te'o is not a fraction of the player.

APA

Reaction Score
Way, way, way too much emphasis on the recruiting sites. If you are pulling in top 10 classes, then sure, it's indicative to a great degree. But, much past that there are too many variables and inconsistancies to draw hard conclusions.

One small example. Kid Difton comes to UCONN as a 4* with mutliple (reportedly) offers. Gets on the field for his first game as a true frosh, catches a short pass, corner wraps him up, safety strips the ball, corner then throws him down like a rag doll just for good measure. The kid was not even remotely ready for that level of play. Not even close. Some tallent? Sure. But a far cry from an elite talent at that stage. In the same class was a 2* kid Lang who was by far and away a better athlete and showed it on the field. He couldn't stay in school, but that's another matter. Countless examples of this type of stuff.

McAllister has an impressive list of offers from wonderful academic institutions. If the coaches think he can play at this level you give that type of kid a shot. This is a very good get.
Based on what? That he seems bright enought to not flunk out, and there is a consensus among coaches that he can play at the FCS level?

Reaction Score
A case could be made that Matt Lawrence was our highest rating RB recruit prior to Newsome.

Reaction Score
Based on what? That he seems bright enough to not flunk out

Pay attention, he's smart enough to get into the Ivy league and the United States Military Academy, what you just said is insulting, and according to Silver other top FBS schools were interested. He still has a senior season in high school to improve his stock.

I'm sure by now he has learned that there are a lot of trolls in the Boneyard. It doesn't take long to learn that.

Reaction Score
Based on what? That he seems bright enought to not flunk out, and there is a consensus among coaches that he can play at the FCS level?

No, based on the fact that he's obviously a smart kid, was at our camp(s) and the coaches think he can play at this level. Again, lot's of folks put way to much emphasis on the recruiting sites. If this kid was in camp and the coaches offered you have to have some confidence that they believe he can play at this level. Are New England kids under-recruited compared to other parts of the country? I think so.

APA

Reaction Score
So by that definition you are happy with every recruit ever offered, regardless if the offer is an outlier among all other D-1 staffs.

APA

Reaction Score
No, based on the fact that he's obviously a smart kid, was at our camp(s) and the coaches think he can play at this level. Again, lot's of folks put way to much emphasis on the recruiting sites. If this kid was in camp and the coaches offered you have to have some confidence that they believe he can play at this level. Are New England kids under-recruited compared to other parts of the country? I think so.
What makes it "a very good get"? You didn't answer the question.

Reaction Score
So by that definition you are happy with every recruit ever offered, regardless if the offer is an outlier among all other D-1 staffs.[/quote

You have got to be kidding. Why would any of us (who know nothing) ever be unhappy about a recruit we know almost nothing about. If you are made unhappy about this kid's commitment you have serious issues.

Reaction Score

Maybe because he was named the New England Prep school player of the year after his junior year. What have you ever done with your life?

Reaction Score

Yes I did. You just don't feel good about it because some recruiting site didn't put a bunch of gold stars after the kid's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom