2014-2015 UCONN Hockey..the Team NO ONE Can Take Away From CT Hockey Fans | The Boneyard

2014-2015 UCONN Hockey..the Team NO ONE Can Take Away From CT Hockey Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have not had the chance to put up a post since the game Wed night. It has also given me some time to think about that night...the team...and both how special it was, and how we must temper optimism against reality.
Good memories came back for me that night...like walking back in time going to Hartford for a Whalers game having a pre-game meal with-in walking distance from the XL Center. Walking into the XL Center that night it was evident that Comcast may not have been prepared for the crowd. When you go up to the merchandise booth and all they are taking is cash...that is a pretty good indication. I was a bit in shock to find my seats were directly behind the bench/next to the tunnel from the locker room. It made watching the game action a bit getting used to...BUT getting to see the satisfaction on the face of Wade Manuel and Susan Herbst as the place filled up...to seeing the expressions on the faces of the kids and coaching staff was PRICELESS! The kids and staff genuinely appreciated the support of the fans...they went from having the capacity of Freitas backing them to 8,000+ fans screaming..just like at a hoops game on campus. I can say that the looks on some of the kids faces showed they were in awe of what was happening.
Now for the game...they played within the system Cav set for the game plan...Robbie Nicholls continued his steady/stellar play in net (he always seems to be in very good position to make the save)...the kids seems to play confidently. Like someone posted earlier, aside from the second PSU game where they lost 7-1, they have been in every game losing by a 1-2 goal margin. They needed to put together a whole game effort to win a game. I thought the play in the first period was very well...they pushed back when BC pushed...showed they weren't intimidated. Similar to what they did the first game at Merrimack. They moved the puck well, gave Nicholls clear sight lines on shots, and put the puck on net. Richardson's goal was pretty. the second period started to go as they have all season...the team started to show their youth...this is where I thought Cav made the right decisions and showed why he was a GREAT choice to lead this program into HE...the ship was able to be righted through the storm, the kids showed some good confidence. The third period I thought was like the first, with the kids skating well, moving the puck, and cab again making the right decisions when he needed to. The penalty killing was top notch...killing off 5-3's against a team like BC is no small feat.
Where does this team go from here: They are young (Freshman and Sophmore's take up 14 spots on the roster), and will have their up's and down's for sure. In my opinion it will be a long up and down season...one filled with some big wins and some frustrating losses...a season typical to having 10 freshman on the roster..with a lot of them skating serious minutes. They will have to bring it night in and night out now...and beating BC announced to the league that they can not be over looked. Winning will not come over night, and will be frustrating at times over the next few years. This will be a program that will take time for Cav to build...I think 2-3 season from now Cav will have his first team that can make a run at the top 25 poll and needs to be talked about when the conversation is held about the top teams in HE for that season. The on-campus barn is a MUST for the future growth of this program! They also need to look at crowd attendance before holding firm to a 4500 capacity. I think they need to look at 5500 as the capacity. I can see having games like BC and BU at the XL Center BUT this team needs to be on-campus based! People travel to Storrs to see hoops games, they will travel to campus to see hockey!
No matter where this team plays..one thing is for sure..this is one hockey team that NO ONE can move out of CT..one hockey team that NO ONE can take from CT hockey fans...this is OUR team..UCONN Hockey!!!

Oh yeah..Warde Manuel was heckled like crazy about not leaving for Michigan...he had the same line..with a SERIOUS smile on his face..an ear to ear grin.."I'm not going anywhere..I LOVE it here". Now time will tell if that is true, if his alma mater came calling and he decided to stay..maybe we as fans should read the tea leaves.

Reaction Score
So I had a short ride home from the UCONN/Army game in the Bronx last night. That allowed me to get the hockey game on asap. What I listened to last night was a game played by team who got some confidence against BC...who showed again that they will not be pushed around this season. I liked their resolve last night...the fact they matched a VERY talented BU team blow for blow...and had some quality chances to win the game in OT. They scored on the power play again last night...makes 2 games in a row. If there is one thing that these kids are buying into it's this...Cav and his staff because of their understanding of HE (Cav at BC, Souza and Perira as players at New Hampshire and BU) have been able to get the message across about co0ming to the rink prepared to play in a HE game...having to bring it each and every night. This was a big weekend for the team and they passed with flying colors. There should be no doubt that hiring Mike Cavanaugh was the right hire..and Cav hiring Mike Souza and Joe Periera gave him a strong staff. The addition of Andrew Raycroft as the goalie coach can't be overlooked either. As a goalie I can definitely tell you Nicholls's game has definitely improved (his positioning, his puck awareness)...and having a guy with the NHL experience a guy like Raycroft has is invaluable.
On to the next game...

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Great post @FDNY99. If the UConn admin goes with a 4500 seat arena, I hope they leave a little space for a modest 500-1000 seat expansion - similar to Gampel. It looks like the program is moving in the right direction in short order.

Reaction Score
Great post @FDNY99. If the UConn admin goes with a 4500 seat arena, I hope they leave a little space for a modest 500-1000 seat expansion - similar to Gampel. It looks like the program is moving in the right direction in short order.
Just make it 5K to begin with and that'll be just right. Basically, just replicate Notre Dame's new arena and they'll be right where they should be.

Reaction Score
Just make it 5K to begin with and that'll be just right. Basically, just replicate Notre Dame's new arena and they'll be right where they should be.

Yup... can always configure for SRO like Ingalls and TD Bank for additional "bodies" when needed.

Reaction Score
Just make it about 5500 seats to begin with. Maybe leave room to expand by 1000 seats, if necessary. Wish UConn had a billionaire donor like Terry Pegula at Penn St. Check out their new ice arena. Would like UConn to build one just like it.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Holy crap PSU's arena is beautiful. $102m for about 6k seats and an ancillary rink. It must be nice having a billionaire alum who's a hockey fanatic......of course I say that with respect and admiration for our multimillion-dollar soccer alum and stadium benefactor. I wonder what kind of price tag we'd be looking at $60m for a 5k arena?

184094-0-600.jpg

Reaction Score
Thanks for the great posts FDNY99. WM will not be getting any call from Michigan this time. His future is somehow married to Bob Diaco's performance. Michigan is looking for an AD to fix their FB program. If you saw the UConn-Army game then you can draw your own conclusions.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
huskypantz said:
Holy crap PSU's arena is beautiful. $102m for about 6k seats and an ancillary rink. It must be nice having a billionaire alum who's a hockey fanatic.of course I say that with respect and admiration for our multimillion-dollar soccer alum and stadium benefactor. I wonder what kind of price tag we'd be looking at $60m for a 5k arena?

The student section is well designed. Should try to copy that feature at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom